Djalal, Rosyidi, Lilik, E.R, Dahliatul, Q, Indah, A.A, Dodik, P
Djalal, Rosyidi1, Lilik, E.R1, Dahliatul, Q2, Indah, A.A2, Dodik, P3
1Animal Product Technology Laboratory, Faculty of Animal Science, Universitas Brawijaya.
2Laboratory of Microbiology and Immunology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Universitas Brawijaya.
3Animal Clinical, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Universitas Brawijaya.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 5,
Year - 2021
Lampung Robusta green coffee is an authentic Indonesian coffee that is in great demand by the public. The active ingredients in coffee such as chlorogenic acid and polyphenols are useful antihypertensive, antibacterial, immunomodulator, and antioxidant. Research on the effects of coffee in chicken’s health such as the immune system or as antioxidants has not yet existed. The aim of the study, therefore, was to determine the effects of giving Robusta coffee extract on chickens to the antibody titers and intestinal damage. The study was experimental with post-test control only design, using Isa Brown layer chickens, consisting of 60. The treatment group included: negative control (healthy, without coffee), P1: 500mg coffee/kg bw (body weight), P2: 1000mg coffee/kg bw, and P3: 1500mg coffee/kg bw. The coffee was given using gastric tube when the chickens were 3-16 days old, and the serum was taken on day 18. Data on antibody titer and MDA levels were analyzed using One Way ANOVA with a standard error of 0.05 while histopathology of jejunum was analyzed qualitatively. The results showed that the extracts of Lampung robusta coffee could not increase antibodies against AI virus (Avian Influenza) or the ND virus (Newcastle disease), decrease levels of MDA (Malondyaldehyde), or improve jejunum histopathology in P3 as the analysis found no erosion of epithelial cells or cell infiltration inflammation. These findings suggest that Lampung robusta coffee extract can be used as an imunosupressor against humoral, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory responses in laying hens.
Cite this article:
Djalal, Rosyidi, Lilik, E.R, Dahliatul, Q, Indah, A.A, Dodik, P. The Effects of Lampung Robusta Green Coffee Extract (Coffee Canephora Var Robusta) on Layer Chicken’s Humoral Immune System and Intestinal Histophalogy. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(5):2779-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00490
Djalal, Rosyidi, Lilik, E.R, Dahliatul, Q, Indah, A.A, Dodik, P. The Effects of Lampung Robusta Green Coffee Extract (Coffee Canephora Var Robusta) on Layer Chicken’s Humoral Immune System and Intestinal Histophalogy. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(5):2779-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00490 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-5-74
1. Affonso RCL, Voytena APL, and Fanan. Phytochemical Composition, Antioxidant Activity, and Effect of Aqueous Extract of Coffee (Coffea Arabica L.) Bean Residual Press Cake on The Skin Wound Healing. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity. Volume 2016.
2. Andayani S. Immunomodulatory Effect of Alkaloid Bioactive Substances of Jellyfish (Bougainvillia Sp) On Tiger Grouper (Epinephelus Fuscoguttatus) Innate Immune Response. International Conference on Food Engineering and Biotechnology IPCBEE Vol. 9 (2011)
3. Balbi V and Ciarletta P. Research articles. Morpho-elasticity of intestinal villi. Morpho-elasticity of intestinal villi. J R SocInterface 2013; 10: 20130109
4. Bhutia, Ghosh A, Mingma L. Serum malondialdehyde level: Surrogate stress marker in the Sikkimese diabetics. Nat Sci Biol Med; 2011; 2(1): 107–112.
5. Bonarska-Kujawa D, Cyboran-Mikołajczyk S, and Kleszczyńska H. Molecular mechanism of action of chlorogenic acid on erythrocyte and lipid membranes. Mol Membr Biol. 2015; 32(2): 46-54.
6. Chauhan PS, Satti NK, Sharma VK. Amelioration of inflammatory responses by Chlorogenic acid via suppression of pro-inflammatory mediators. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science. 2011; 01 (04) : 67-75
7. Demirtas C, Ofluoglu E, Hussein A. Effects of Caffeine on Oxidant-Antioxidant. Mechanisms in the Rat Liver. Kafeinin Rat Karaciğerinde Oksidan Antioksidan Mekanizmalara Etkisi. Gazi Med J. 2012; 23 :13-8.
8. Farah A and Donangelo CM. Phenolic compounds in coffee. Minireview. Braz. J. Plant Physiol. 18(1): 23-36
9. Garuda Mas Papua. 25 Macam Kopi Dari Indonesia dan Seluruh Dunia. http://www.garuda-mas.com/25-kopi/. 2018
10. Gerzilov V, Nikolov A, Petrov P. Effect of a Dietary Herbal Mixture Supplement on the Growth Performance, Egg Production and Health Status in Chickens. Journal of Central European Agriculture. 2015; 16(2) : 10-27
11. Horrigan LA, Kelly JP and Connor TJ. Immunomodulatory effects of caffeine: friend or foe? Pharmacol Ther. 2006; 111 3- : 877-92.
12. Huang CM and Lee TT. Immunomodulatory effects of phytogenics in chickens and pigs. A review. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci. 2018; 1 : 617-627
13. Indonesia News, 2018. Indonesia salah satu penghasil kopi terbesar, tapi bukan peminum kopi terbanyak. http://www.bbc.com/indonesia/majalah-43-43772934
14. Khalifeh MS, Amawi MM, Abu-Basha E. Assessment of humoral and cellular-mediated immune response in chickens treated with tilmicosin, florfenicol, or enrofloxacin at the time of Newcastle disease vaccination. Poultry Science. 2009; 88 (10) : 2118–2124,
15. Kreicbergs V, Dimins F, Mikelsone V. Biologically Active Compounds In Roasted Coffee. http:// Cinkmanishttp://llufb.llu.lv/conference/foodbalt/2011/FOODBALT-Proceedings-2011-110-115.pdf. 2011
16. Kwang-Soon S. The Chemical Characteristics and Immune-Modulating Activity of Polysaccharides Isolated from Cold-Brew Coffee. Prev. Nutr. Food Sci. 2017; 22 :2-100-106
17. Meng S, Cao J, Feng Q, Peng. Roles of Chlorogenic Acid on Regulating Glucose and Lipids Metabolism: Review Article. Hindawi Publishing Corporation. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2013
18. Momua LI, Sangi M.S and Purwat NP.. Pengaruh VCO Mengandung Ekstrak Wortel Terhadap Peroksidasi Lipid Plasma. Jurnal Ilmiah Sains. 2011; 11:2
19. Pathak A.K, Dutta N, Pattanaik AK. The effect of condensed tannins supplementation through Ficus infectoria and Psidium guajava leaf meal mixture on erythrocytic antioxidant status, immune response and gastrointestinal nematodes in lambs (Ovis aries). Veterinarski Arhiv. 2017; 87(2)- 139-156
20. Sarcheshmei M, Dadras H, Mosleh N. 2016. Comparative Evaluation of The Protective Efficacy of Different Vaccination Programs Against a Virulent Field Strain of the Newcastle Disease Virus in Broilers. Brazilian Journal of Poultry Diseases. 2016; 18( 3) : 363-370
21. Tîrziu E and Seres M. Particularities Of The Avian Immune System. Lucrări Stiinłifice Medicină Veterinară Vol. Xliii (1), Timisoara 269. 2010
22. Tyce, R. Chlorogenic Acid and Caffeic acid. Review of Toxicological. http:// https://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/htdocs/chem_background/exsumpdf/chlorogenicacid_508.pdf. 1998
23. Qosimah ., Murwan S, Sudjarwo E. Effect of Newcastle disease virus level of infection on embryonic length, embryonic death, and protein profile changes. Veterinary Worl. 2018; 11(9)- 1316-1320
24. Venkatalakshmi P, Vadivel V and Brindha P. Role of phytochemicals as immunomodulatory agents: A review. International Journal of Green Pharmacy. 2016; 10 : 1-1.
25. Vrdoljak A, Halas M, and Tamás. S. 2018. Efficacy of Live Attenuated Vaccines against Newcastle Disease in Commercial Broilers. J Vet Med Res; 2018; 5: 2-1123.
26. Yashin A, Yashin Y, Wang JY. Antioxidant and Antiradical Activity of Coffee. Antioxidants (Basel). 2013; 2 (4)-230–245.