Sundus Kareem Hamzah, Nawal Khinteel Jabbar, Anwar Jasib Almzaiel, Remah Abdulhassan sabit
firstname.lastname@example.org , Anwar.email@example.com
Sundus Kareem Hamzah1, Nawal Khinteel Jabbar2, Anwar Jasib Almzaiel3, Remah Abdulhassan sabit4
1Department of Chemistry, College of Education, University of Al-Qadisiyah, Al-Diwaniyah, Iraq.
2Department of Chemistry, College of Science, University of Al-Qadisiyah, Al-Diwaniyah, Iraq.
3Department of Medical Chemistry, College of Medicine, University of Al-Qadisiyah, Al-Diwaniyah, Iraq.
4College of Biotechnology, University of Al-Qadisiyah, Al-Diwaniyah, Iraq.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 5,
Year - 2021
Background: Ovarian cancer (OC) is the most common cancer and a leading cause of death in women. It well known that suppress the apoptosis initiates tumor and its development. Oxidative stress, and inflammation showed to have a role in tumorigenesis. However, the mechanism still unclear. Methods: 90 females were involved in the current study. Blood samples were obtained from thirty healthy controls, thirty premenopausal women, and thirty postmenopausal women with primary diagnosis of ovarian cancer. Plasma SOD activity was determined by spectrophotometry method, plasma levels of 8-OHG, IL-8, and Cas-8 were measured by ELISA. methylation specific PCR (MSP PCR) was applied for measurements of un-methylation and methylation levels of Cas-8 gene. Result: The results showed a significant decrease in SOD activity in postmenopausal group compared to premenopausal women and control groups (P < 0.05). A significant increase in 8-OHG and IL-8 levels in both OC groups compared with control group (P < 0.05). Apoptosis were decreased through levels of Cas-8 in patients group compared to control group (P< 0.05). Also a high level methylation of Cas-8 gene was observed in plasma sample of patient groups compared to control group. Conclusions: low levels of Cas-8 and methylation of Cas-8 may be involved in OC carcinogenesis and consider as diagnostic marker. Oxidative stress-mediated inflammatory response and methylation of Cas-8, this may be for promoter hyper methylation in OC. Taken together, the result open new sight in strategy therapy for OC.
Cite this article:
Sundus Kareem Hamzah, Nawal Khinteel Jabbar, Anwar Jasib Almzaiel, Remah Abdulhassan sabit. The Role Caspase-8 and DNA Methylation in patients with Ovarian Cancer: Relationship with Oxidative Stress and Inflammation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(5):2676-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00472
Sundus Kareem Hamzah, Nawal Khinteel Jabbar, Anwar Jasib Almzaiel, Remah Abdulhassan sabit. The Role Caspase-8 and DNA Methylation in patients with Ovarian Cancer: Relationship with Oxidative Stress and Inflammation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(5):2676-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00472 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-5-56
1. Momenimovahed Z., Tiznobiak A., Taheri S., and Salehiniya, H. Ovarian cancer in the world: epidemiology and risk factors. International Journal of Women's World Health.2019; 11: 287-299.
2. A Case Study on Ovarian Cancer – Palliative Perspective. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research 5(3): July- Sept.2015; Page 446-448.
3. Gloria M. C., Urzua U. Lara Termini L., and Aguayo F. Oxidative stress in female cancers. Oncotarget, 2018; 9(34): 23824-23842.
4. Dibyajyoti Saha, Ankit Tamrakar. Xenobiotics, Oxidative Stress, Free Radicals Vs. Antioxidants: Dance of Death to Heaven’s Life. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 1(2): April-June 2011; Page 36-38.
5. William J. M., and James F. M. Oxidative Damage to DNA of Ovarian Surface Epithelial Cells Affected by Ovulation: Carcinogenic Implication and Chemoprevention. Experimental Biology and Medicine, 2004; 229: 546-552
6. Helen Wiseman and Barry Halliwell. Damage to DNA by Reactive Oxygen and Nitrogen Species: Role in Inflammatory Disease and Progression to Cancer. Biochem. J. 1996; 313: 17-29.
7. Chandrasekar. R, Sivagami. B, M. Niranjan Babu. A Pharmacoeconomic Focus on Medicinal Plants with Anticancer Activity. Res. J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochem. 2018; 10(1): 91-100.
8. Garcia-Manero G, Daniel J, Smith TL, et al. DNA methylation of multiple promoter-associated CpG islands in adult acute lymphocytic leukemia. Clin Cancer Res. 2002; 8: 2217-2224.
9. Lam Kah Yuen, Puteri Jamilatul Noor Megat Baharuddin, Zubaidah Zakaria: The Pattern of Aberrant DNA Methylation in Adult Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. International Journal of Health Sciences & Research. 2015; 5 (5): 134-143.
10. Milena K, Maja PJ, Biljana M, et al. Hyper methylation of p15 Gene in Diffuse – Large B-Cell Lymphoma: Association with Less Aggressiveness of the Disease. Clinical and Translational Science. 2014; 7(5): 384-390.
11. Schimmer, A. D. Inhibitor of apoptosis proteins: translating basic knowledge into clinical practice. Cancer Res 2004; 64:7183-90.
12. Banelli, B., Casciano, I., Croce, M., et al. Expression and methylation of CASP8 in neuroblastoma: identification of a promoter region. Nat Med. 2002; 8: 1333-5.
13. Gudmundsdottir K., Ashworth A. The roles of BRCA1 and BRCA2 and associated proteins in the maintenance of genomic stability. Oncogene.2006; 25: 5864-5874
14. Nikbakht M., Shabanizadeh A., Salehi M., Talebi A. BRCA1 Promoter Methylation Status in Ovarian Cancer. Laboratory Medicine. 2012; 43(4): 18–21.
15. Araki S., Omori Y., Lyn D., Singh R.K., Meinbach D.M., Sandman Y., Lokeshwar V.B., Lokeshwar B.L. Interleukin-8 is a molecular determinant of androgen independence and progression in prostate cancer. Cancer Research. 2007; 67: 6854–6862.
16. Gabellini C, Trisciuoglio D, Desideri M, Candiloro A, Ragazzoni Y, Orlandi A, Zupi G, Del Bufalo D. Functional activity of CXCL8 receptors, CXCR1 and CXCR2, on human malignant melanoma progression. European journal of cancer. 2009; 45: 2618–2627.
17. Misra, H.P., and Fridovich, I. The role of Superoxide anion in theauto-oxidation of epinephrine and a simple assay for Superoxide Dismutase. J. Biol. Chem. 1972; 247: 3170-3175.
18. Oberley, L.W. and Buettner G.R. Role of superoxide dismutase in cancer. Cancer Res., 39: 1141-1149.
19. V Jaydeokar, DD Bandawane, SS Nipate, PD. Chaudhari. Natural Antioxidants: A Review on Therapeutic Applications. Research J. Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2012; 4(1): 55-61.
20. Manimaran A. and Rajneesh C. P. Activities of Antioxidant Enzyme and Lipid Peroxidation in Ovarian Cancer Patients. Academic J. Cancer Res. 2009; 2(2): 68-72.
21. Karnakumar V Biradar, Chandrashekhar B Patil, Basavaraj V Chivde, MH Malipatil, Sanjivkumar D Biradar. Effect of Superoxide Dismutase Mimetic Tempol on Dexamethasone Induced Insulin Resistance-Role of Oxidative Stress. Research J. Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2011; 3(3): 134-137.
22. Vadivelan R, Dhanabal SP, Raja Rajeswari, Shanish A, Elango K, Suresh B. Oxidative Stress in Diabetes- A Key Therapeutic Agent. Research J. Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2010; 2(3): 221-227.
23. Hirano T. Repair system of 7,8-dihydro-8-oxoguanine as a defense line against carcinogenesis. J Radiat Res. 2008;49: 329–40.
24. Karnakumar V Biradar, Chandrashekhar B Patil, Basavaraj V Chivde, MH Malipatil, Sanjivkumar D Biradar. Effect of Superoxide Dismutase Mimetic Tempol on Dexamethasone Induced Insulin Resistance-Role of Oxidative Stress. Research J. Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2011; 3(3): 134-137.
25. Pylväs M., Puistola U., Laatio L., Kauppila S., Karihtala P. Elevated serum 8-OHdG is associated with poor prognosis in epithelial ovarian cancer. Anticancer Res. 2011; 21: 1411–5.
26. Xu X, Wang Y, Guo W, Zhou Y, Lv C, Chen X, et al. The significance of the alteration of 8-OHdG in serous ovarian carcinoma. J Ovarian Res. 2013; 6-74: 1757-2215.
27. Pylväs M, Puistola U, Kauppila S, Karihtala P. Oxidative stress-induced antioxidant enzyme expression is an early phenomenon in ovarian carcinogenesis. Eur J Cancer. 2010; 46: 1661–7.
28. Nirjala Laxmi Madhikarmi, Kora Rudraiah Siddalinga Murthy. Study of oxidative stress and antioxidants status in iron deficient anemic patients. Research J. Science and Tech. 2012; 4(4): 162-167.
29. Masoumi-Moghaddam S., Amini A., Wei, A.Q., Robertson, G., Morris, D.L. Intratumoral interleukin-6 predicts ascites formation in patients with epithelial ovarian cancer: A potential tool for close monitoring. J. Ovarian Res. 2015; 8: 58.
30. Dalal, V.; Kumar, R.; Kumar, S.; Sharma, A.; Kumar, L.; Sharma, J.B.; Roy, K.K.; Singh, N.; Vanamail, P. Biomarker potential of IL-6 and VEGF-A in ascitic fluid of epithelial ovarian cancer patients. Clin. Chim. Acta. 2018; 482: 27–32.
31. Darai E., Detchev R., Hugol D., Quang NT. Serum and cyst fluid levels of interleukin (IL) -6, IL-8 and tumour necrosis factor-alpha in women with endometriomas and benign and malignant cystic ovarian tumours. Hum Reprod. 2003.
32. Kassim S.K., El-Salahy E.M., Fayed S.T., Helal S.A.; Helal T.; Azzam Eel, D., Khalifa, A. Vascular endothelial growth factor and interleukin-8 are associated with poor prognosis in epithelial ovarian cancer patients. Clin. Biochem. 2004; 37: 363–369.
33. Lokshin A.E., Winans M., Landsittel D., Marrangoni A.M., Velikokhatnaya L., Modugno F. Circulating IL-8 and anti-IL-8 autoantibody in patients with ovarian cancer. Gynecologic Oncology. 2006; 102: 244–251.
34. Merritt W.M., Lin Y.G., Spannuth W.A., Fletcher M.S., Kamat A.A., Han L.Y. Effect of interleukin-8 gene silencing with liposome-encapsulated small interfering RNA on ovarian cancer cell growth. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 2008;100: 359–372.
35. Duiker E.W., Van der Zee A.G, De Graeff P., et al. The extrinsic apoptosis pathway and its prognostic impact in ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol. 2010; 25(116): 549-55.
36. Merlin NJ Parthasarathy V, Manavalan R, Devi P, Meera R. Apoptosis Significance and Molecular Mechanisms- A Review. Asian J. Research Chem. 2(4):Oct.-Dec. 2009: 369-375.
37. Fulda S. Caspase-8 in cancer biology and therapy. Cancer Lett 2009; 281: 128-33.
38. Olsson M., Zhivotovsky B. Caspases and cancer. Cell Death Differ 2011;18 (9): 1441–9.\
39. Krelin Y., Zhang L., Kang T., Appel E., Kovalenko A., Wallach D. Caspase-8 deficiency facilitates cellular transformation in vitro. Cell Death Differ 2008;15(9): 1350–5.
40. Esteller M., Sanchez-Cespedes M., Rosell R., Sidransky D., Baylin S.B., and Herman J.G. Detection of aberrant promoter hypermethylation of tumor suppressor genes in serum DNA from non-small cell lung cancer patients. Cancer Res. 1999;59: 67–70.
41. Hopkins-Donaldson S., Ziegler A., Kurtz S., Bigosch C., Kandioler D., Ludwig C., Zangemeister-Wittke U., and Stahel R. Silencing of death receptor and caspase-8 expression in small cell lung carcinoma cell lines and tumors by DNA methylation. 2003; 10: 356–364
42. Wiley S.R., Schooley K., Smolak P.J., Din W.S., Huang, C.P., Nicholl J.K., Sutherland G.R., Smith, T.D., Rauch C., Smith C.A., et al. Identification and characterization of a new member of the TNF family that induces apoptosis. Immunity. 1995; 3: 673–682.
43. Walczak H., Miller R.E., Ariail K., Gliniak B., Griffith T.S., Kubin M., ChinW., Jones J., Woodward A., Le T., et al. Tumoricidal activity of tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand in vivo. Nat. Med. 1999; 5: 157–163.
44. Namrata Dwivedi, Bhavna Dwivedi, Skand Mishra, Yogeshwer Shukla. Lupeol Induced Apoptosis in Human Lung Cancer Cell Line: A Flow Cytometry Study. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2014; 6(4): 197-203.
45. Abdollahi T., Robertson N.M., Abdollahi A., Litwack G. Identification of interleukin 8 as an inhibitor of tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand-induced apoptosis in the ovarian carcinoma cell line OVCAR3. Cancer Res. 2003; 63: 4521–4526.