Mamta Tiwari, Pushpraj S Gupta, Nisha Sharma
Mamta Tiwari1*, Pushpraj S Gupta2, Nisha Sharma3
1Research Scholar, Christian School of Pharmacy, SHUATS, Prayagraj (U.P.)
2Associate Professor, Christian School of Pharmacy, SHUATS, Prayagraj (U.P.)
3Associate Professor, University Institute of Pharmacy, C.S.J.M.U, Kanpur.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 5,
Year - 2021
Cissus quadrangularis L. is a member of succulent climber of family Vitaceae and it is also called as bone setter because of its bone healing property. The present study focused to assess the in vitro antioxidant and in vivo anti-inflammatory activity of the plant stem extracts in different solvents namely petroleum ether, chloroform, ethyl acetate and methanol. Among all these extracts; ethyl extract showed highest phenolic and flavonoid content (19.35±0.29mg GA/g, 8.68±0.06 RE/g dry wt. respectively). In DPPH free radical scavenging assay all mentioned extracts exhibited free radical scavenging activity but the highest free radical scavenging activity was showed by ethyl acetate extract in increasing dose dependent manner. On the basis of highest phenolic, flavonoid content and free radical scavenging activity ethyl acetate extract was selected for anti- inflammatory activity. The anti-inflammatory activity of Cissus quadrangularis Lin. was investigated in carageenan induced inflammation in Wistar albino rats. Two different doses 250mg/kg and 500mg/kg were administered to the animals. The results showed that both doses had significant reduction in inflammatory condition but dose 500mg/kg showed maximum inflammatory reduction on comparing with control and standard treated groups.
Cite this article:
Mamta Tiwari, Pushpraj S Gupta, Nisha Sharma. A Preliminary Study on In Vitro Antioxidant and In Vivo Anti-Inflammatory Activity of Cissus quadrangularis Linn. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(5):2619-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00461
Mamta Tiwari, Pushpraj S Gupta, Nisha Sharma. A Preliminary Study on In Vitro Antioxidant and In Vivo Anti-Inflammatory Activity of Cissus quadrangularis Linn. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(5):2619-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00461 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-5-45
1. Chandrashekhar R, Rao S N. Acute anti-inflammatory activity of ethanolic extract of leaves of Clerodendrum Viscosum by Carrageen induced Paw Oedema method in Wistar Albino Rats. International Journal of Research Ayurveda Pharm. 2013; 4(2): 224-227.
2. Sachan S, Singh M P. Anti-inflammatory activity of quercetin in acute, sub-acute and chronic phase of inflammation in animal models. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research. 2013; 5(2): 152-155.
3. Kala S M J, Tresina P S, Mohan V R. Evaluation of anti-inflammatory activity of Eugenia singampattiana Bedd leaf. International Journal of Advanced Research. 2013 1(6): 248-251.
4. Prema R, Kumar C S, Kumar S, Chandrasekhar K B, Sekhar D S. Anti-inflammatory of combined extract of Cissus quadrangularis and Aegle marmelos. International Journal of Medicobiological Research. 2017;1(9): 455-458.
5. Zhu L, Dai J L, Wang W X, Xiao K J. Anti-inflammatory activity and chemical composition of essential oils from Senecio flammeus. EXCLI Journal. 2014; 13: 782-791.
6. Hasan M M, Ahmed S, Azhar I, Shaheen N. Analgesic, anti-inflammatory and antiemetic activities of Cleome scaposa D C. Phytopharmacology. 2013; 4(1): 106-113.
7. Meshram R L, Patil M B. Demonstration of anti-inflammatory activity of alcoholic and hydroalcoholic extracts of Tridax procumbens using the rat paw edema assay. Boisci. Biotech. Res. comm. 4(1); 2011: 47-51.
8. Feyisayo A K, Oluwafemi A V, Oluokun O O. Evaluation of antioxidant capacity and membrane stabilizing potential of stem and root of Cyphospenna adenocaulis (Steud). African Journal of Biotechnology. 2015;14 (21): 1820- 1827.
9. Teweare K. HPLC analysis of extract of in vivo medicinally important climber Cissus quadrangularis (Hadjod). International Journal of Pharmacy. 2013; 4(2): 140-142.
10. Anit R, Suji P. Pharmacognostic evaluation of Cissus quadrangularis stem. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research.2012; 3(7): 2296-2300.
11. Mishra G, Srivastava S, Nagori B P. Pharmacological and therapeutic activity of Cissus quadrangularis: An overview. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2(2); 2010: 1298-1310.
12. Shah U. Cissus quadrangularis L: Phytochemical, traditional uses and pharmacological activities-A review. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2011; 3(4): 41-44.
13. Murthy K N C, Vanitha A, Swami M M. Antioxidant and antimicrobial activity of Cissus quadrangularis L. Journal of Medicinal Food. 2003; 6(2): 99-105.
14. Nagar H K, Chandel H S, Kurmi M L, Srivastava A K, Srivastava R, Ranawat M S. Pharmacological investigation of the wound healing activity of Cestrum nocturnum (L.) ointment in Wistar Albino Rats. Available from https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jphar/2016/9249040/
15. Kaur S, Mondal P. Study of total phenolic and flavonoid content, antioxidant activity and medicinal properties of medicinal plants. Journal of Microbiology and Experimentation. 2014; 1(1): 1-6.
16. Mini S, Lekshmi R K. Evaluation of antioxidant and antiglycation activities of various solvent fractions of Cissus quadrangularis stem. International Journal of Pharma and Bio sciences. 4 (4); 2013: 1259-1268.
17. Lachkar M, Elkhamlichi A, Hajaji H E, Faraj H, Alami A, Bali B E. Phytochemical screening and evaluation of antioxidant activities of seeds and pods extracts of Callycotome villosa subsp. intermedia. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical sciences. 2017; 7 (04): 192-198.
18. Talent C, Islam M S, Ibrahim M A, Koorbanally N A. In vitro antioxidant activity GC-MS analysis of the ethanol and aqueous extracts of Cissus cornifolia (Baker) Splanch (Vitaceae) parts. Acta Poloniae Pharmaceutica-Drug Research. 2015; 72 (1):119-127.
19. Potu B K, Rao M S, Nampurath G K, Chamallamudi M R, Nayak S R. Anti-osteoporotic activity of the petroleum ether extract of Cissus quadrangularis Linn. in ovariectomized wistar Rats. Chang Gang Medical Journal. 2010; 33 (3): 252- 257.
20. Joshi P, Gahlot M, Bhanu P. Anti-inflammatory and analgesic activities of methanolic extract of Vallaris solanacea leaves. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 6(2); 2014: 622-624.
21. Prema R, Kumar C S, Chandrashekhar K B, Sekhar D S. Anti-inflammatory activity of combined extract of Cissus quadrangularis and Aegle marmelos. International Journal of Medicobiological Research. 2017;1(9): 455-458.
22. Ogugua V N, Anaduaka E G, Apeh V O, Nariagu M C, Egba S I.Does Cissus quadrangularis Linn contains nutritive and medicinal constituents. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2014; 2(6): 4404-4414.
23. Govindarajan R,Vijaya K M, Rawat A K S, Shanta M. Free radical scavenging potential of Picorrhiza Kurrora Royle Ex Benth. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology. 2003; 41: 875-879.
24. Kala S M J, Tresina P S, Mohan V R. Evaluation of anti-inflammatory activity of Eugenia singampattiana Bedd leaf. International Journal of Advanced Research. 2013;1 (6): 248-251.
25. Bhattacharya A, Behera R, Agrawal D, Dehury S, Kumar S, Swain T R. Anti-inflammatory effect of Neem Leaf extract (NLE) on Albino rats. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences. 2014; 5(5): 1431-1435.
26. Singh D, Dharawal S J, Rawat M. Hydrogels -A potent carter in wound healing. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2008;1(1): 6-13.