Chlorpheniramine Maleate (CPM) and Glyceryl Guaiacolate (GUA) are the ß-lactum antibiotic drug. Sensitive, precise, accurate and simple, UV spectrophotometric methods have been developed for the simultaneous estimation of Chlorpheniramine Maleate (CPM) and Glyceryl Guaiacolate (GUA) in dosage form. Two spectrophotometric methods (simultaneoue equations and Q-Absorbance ratio) were applied for the determination of the drugs as mixture. The maximum absorbance of drug in solvent mixture composed of water – acetontrile – methanol in a ratio of (80% H2O – 10% ACN – 10% MOH) was found to be at (261.4 nm and 273 nm) for CPM, GUA respectively, and the Q – isosbestic point was found at 270.4 nm. These wavelengths were selected for the analysis of drugs as mixtures standard and in the manufactured samples using the two developed methods. The methods were linear in the range of (1- 100) µg/mL for (CPM, GUA), with an R2 of (0.9996) for CPM and GUA respectively in the mixture. Recovery means were found to be (99.79 % - 100.30 %) for the standard drugs CPM and GUA respectively and in formulating drugs was found to be (99.71 – 100.41 %). LOD and LOQ were established and found to be (0.1 and 0.33) for CPM and GUA respectively. The method was applied for the estimation of the active gradient of the drugs in different samples of manufactured dosage. The accuracy of method was validated by mean percentage recovery, which was found to be in the acceptable range.
Cite this article:
Nada Ghaaeb Hussein, Ahmed Mahdi Saeed. Simultaneous Estimation of Chlorpheniramine Maleate and Glyceryl Guaiacolate in Pure and Capsule Dosage form by using different Spectrophotometric Methods. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(5):2608-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00459
Nada Ghaaeb Hussein, Ahmed Mahdi Saeed. Simultaneous Estimation of Chlorpheniramine Maleate and Glyceryl Guaiacolate in Pure and Capsule Dosage form by using different Spectrophotometric Methods. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(5):2608-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00459 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-5-43
1. Sohrabi, M. R., Mirzabeygi, V., and Davallo, M., (2018), Use of continuous wavelet transform approach for simultaneous quantitative determination of multicomponent mixture by UV–Vis spectrophotometry. Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy. 201, 306-314.
2. Madni, A. U., Ahmad, M., Akhtar, N., and Usman, M., (2009), New simultaneous High Performance Liquid Chromatographic method for determination of NSAIDs and opioid analgesics in advanced drug delivery systems and human plasma. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology. 55, 158-63.
3. Al Samaraee, E. T., (2016), Derivative spectrophotometric method for estimation of Chlorphinramine Maleate in pure and its formulation Phenadone. Karbala Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. (11), 179-191.
4. Neeli, S., and Katakam, S. K., (2014), Stability indicating RP-HPLC method development and validation of paracetamol, guaifenesin, ambroxol hydrochloride, phenylephrine hydrochloride and chlorpheniramine maleate in bulk and combined dosage form. World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 3 (9), 1215-1232.
5. Nalini, K., Narmada, P., Lakshmi, G. V., Gowtham, Y., and Jogi, K. V., (2014), Simultaneous estimation of paracetamol, guaiphensin, phenylephrine HCL, chlorpheniramine maleate and bromohexine HCl in combined tablet dosage form by reverse phase high performance liquid chromatography. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 5 (2), 410-416.
6. Siddareddy, K., Reddy, M. R., and Sreeramulu, J., (2016), Simultaneous Estimation of Acetaminophen, Phenylephrine HCl, Guaifenesin and Dextromethorphan HBr In Reverse Phase Ultra Performance Liquid Chromatography. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Biological and Chemical Sciences. 7 (6), 2275-2282.
7. Mishra, A., Sharma, A., and Sharma, S., (2016), Stability indicating simultaneous validation of Ketorolac, Phenylephrine hydrochloride and Chlorpheniramine maleate with forced degradation behavior Study by RP-HPLC in pharmaceutical dosage form. International Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 7 (2), 27-36.
8. Abdulbari, M. M., and Ihsan, M. S., (2013), Simultaneous determination and validation of chlorpheniramine maleate, acetaminophen, phenylpropanolamine hydrochloride and caffeine in tablet dosage form by using reverse phase high performance liquid chromatography (RP-HPLC). Int. J. Pharm. Sci. 5, 666-670.
9. Harsono, T., Yuwono, M., and Indrayanto, G., (2005), Simultaneous determination of some active ingredients in cough and cold preparations by gas chromatography, and method validation. Journal of AOAC International. 88 (4), 1093-1098.
10. Boltia, S. A., Fayed, A. S., Hegazy, M. A., and Musaed, A., (2018), Four validated spectrophotometric methods for determination of ambroxol, guaifenesin, and theophylline in their ternary mixture in bulk powder and dosage form. Journal of Pharmacy Research. 12 (4), 7-16.
11. Riahi, S., Hadiloo, F., Davarkhah, N., Norouzi, P., and Seyfi, P., (2011), A new technique for spectrophotometric determination of pseudoephedrine and guaifenesin in syrup and synthetic mixture. Drug Testing and Analysis. 3 (5), 319-324.
12. Khalode, K. D., Waikar, S. B., and Padmane, S. P., (2012), A validated UV spectrophotometric methods for the simultaneous estimation of dextromethorphan hydrobromide and Chlorphinramine Maleate in syrup formulation. International Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 4 (3), 4690-4699
13. Sohrabi, M. R., Mirzabeygi, V., and Davallo, M., (2018), Use of continuous wavelet transform approach for simultaneous quantitative determination of multicomponent mixture by UV–Vis spectrophotometry. Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy. 201, 306-314.
14. Al-Shaalan, N. H., (2010), Determination of phenylephrine hydrochloride and chlorpheniramine maleate in binary mixture using chemometric-assisted spectrophotometric and high-performance liquid chromatographic-UV methods. Journal of Saudi Chemical Society. 14 (1), 15-21.
15. Wen, J., Zhang, H., Hu, X., Xu, W., and Xiong, Y., (2010), A sensitive liquid chromatography–electrospray ionization–mass spectrometry method for the simultaneous determination of pentoxyverine citrate and guaifenesin in human plasma—application to pharmacokinetic and bioequivalence studies. Biomedical chromatography. 24 (4), 351-357.
16. Hu, Z., Zou, Q., Tian, J., Sun, L., and Zhang, Z., (2011), Simultaneous determination of codeine, ephedrine, guaiphenesin and chlorpheniramine in beagle dog plasma using high performance liquid chromatography coupled with tandem mass spectrometric detection: application to a bioequivalence study. Journal of Chromatography B. 879(32), 3937-3942.
17. Chen, X., Huang, J., Kong, Z., and Zhong, D., (2005), Sensitive liquid chromatography–tandem mass spectrometry method for the simultaneous determination of paracetamol and guaifenesin in human plasma. Journal of Chromatography B. 817 (2), 263-269.
18. Eichhold, T. H., Khambe, D. A., Thompson, G. A., and Hoke S. H., (2007), Simultaneous determination of dextromethorphan, dextrorphan, and guaifenesin in human plasma using semi-automated liquid/liquid extraction and gradient liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 43 (2), 586-600.
19. Hu, Z., Zou, Q., Tian, J., Sun, L. and Zhang, Z., (2011), Simultaneous determination of codeine, ephedrine, guaiphenesin and chlorpheniramine in beagle dog plasma using high performance liquid chromatography coupled with tandem mass spectrometric detection: application to a bioequivalence study. Journal of Chromatography B. 879 (32): 3937-3942.
20. Hapse, S. A., Mane, A. R., Kadam, S. D., Hajare, P. P., and Gulve, S. A., (2012), Spectrophotometric estimation of ampicillin and cloxacillin in pure and capsule dosage form by using different methods. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research. 14 (2), 67-70.
21. Mohammed, O. J., Saeed, A. M., & Mohammed, I. S., (2019), RP–HPLC Developed Method for Uric Acid Estimation in Human Serum. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 12 (10), 4703-4708.