Piperine a bio active constituent isolated from pepper (Piper nigrum and Piper longum L.) is a naturally occurring alkaloid have validated for several health effects and valuable therapeutic effects. However, its biological applications are limited due to its poor aqueous solubility. This emphasizes on the development of new drug delivery system for piperine to improve its in-vivo bioavailability. The present study reports the development and characterization of mucoadhesive nanoemulsion (MNE) containing piperine. MNE formulations were prepared using titration method and characterized in relation to appearance, globule size, zeta potential, thermodynamic stability testing, Ex-vivo evaluation and in-vitro drug permeation study. The MNE of piperine have small globule size (? 150nm) and positive zata potential. The spherical surface was confirmed from TEM. pH of MNE was compatible with nasal administration. In vitro release of MNE system in nasal mucosal membrane demonstrated prompt and effective release with more than 75 % of drug release in 4 h.
Cite this article:
Deepika Yadav, Avijit Mazumder, Roop K Khar. Preparation and Characterization of Mucoadhesive Nanoemulsion containing Piperine for Nasal Drug Delivery System. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology.Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(5):2381-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00420
Deepika Yadav, Avijit Mazumder, Roop K Khar. Preparation and Characterization of Mucoadhesive Nanoemulsion containing Piperine for Nasal Drug Delivery System. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology.Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(5):2381-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00420 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-5-4
1. Leila Gorgani, Maedeh Mohammadi, Ghasem D. Najafpour and Maryam Nikzad. Piperine—The Bioactive Compound of Black Pepper: From Isolation to Medicinal Formulations. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety. 2017; 16: 124-140.2. Shailendra Wadhwa, Sarita Singhal and Swati Rawat. Bioavailability Enhancement by Piperine: A Review. Asian Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2014; 04 (36): 1-8.
3. Song Li, Che Wang, Minwei Wang, Wei Li, Kinzo Matsumoto and YiyuanTang. Antidepressant like effects of piperine in chronic mild stress treated mice and its possible mechanisms. Life Sciences. 2007; 80(15): 1373-1381.
4. Sriwiriyajan S, Tedasen A, Lailerd N, Boonyaphiphat P, Nitiruangjarat A, Deng Y and Graidist P. Anticancer and Cancer Prevention Effects of Piperine-Free Piper nigrum Extract on N-nitrosomethylurea-Induced Mammary Tumorigenesis in Rats. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2016; 9(1): 74-82.
5. Smilkov K, Ackova DG, Cvetkovski A, Ruskovska T, Vidovic B and Atalay M. Piperine: Old Spice and New Nutraceutical. Curr Pharm Des. 2019; 25(15): 1729-1739.
6. Takooree H, Aumeeruddy MZ, Rengasamy KRR, Venugopala KN, Jeewon R, Zengin G and Mahomoodally MF. A systematic review on black pepper (Piper nigrum L.): from folk uses to pharmacological applications. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2019; 59(sup1): S210-S243.
7. Anissian D, Ghasemi-Kasman M, Khalili-Fomeshi M, Akbari A, Hashemian M, Kazemi S and Moghadamnia AA. Piperine-loaded chitosan-STPP nanoparticles reduce neuronal loss and astrocytes activation in chemical kindling model of epilepsy. Int J Biol Macromol. 2018; 107(Pt A): 973-983.
8. Shukla R, Surana S.J., Tatiya A.U. and Das S.K. Investigation of hepatoprotective effects of piperine and silymarin on D-galactosamine induced hepatotoxicity in rats. Res. Jour. of Pharm. Bio.and Chem. Sci. 2011; 2: 975-982.
9. Gupta A., Eral H.B., Hatton T.A. and Doyle P.S. Nanoemulsions: Formation, properties and applications. Soft Matter. 2016; 12: 2826–2841.
10. Comfort C., Garrastazu G., Pozzoli M. and Sonvico F. Opportunities and challenges for the nasal administration of nanoemulsions. Curr. Top. Med. Chem. 2015; 15: 356–368.
11. Manjit Jaiswal, Rupesh Dudhe, and P. K. Sharma. Nanoemulsion: an advanced mode of drug delivery system. 3 Biotech. 2015; 5(2): 123–127.
12. Saranya Sugumar, Amitava Mukherjee and Natarajan Chandrasekaran. Nanoemulsion formation and characterization by spontaneous emulsification: Investigation of its antibacterial effects on Listeria monocytogenes. Asian J Pharm 2015; 9: 23-28.
13. K. Gurpreet and S. K. Singh. Review of Nanoemulsion Formulation and Characterization Techniques. Indian J Pharm Sci 2018; 80(5): 781-789.
14. Prashant Keahswani and Umesh Gupta. Nanotechnology-based targeted drug delivery system for brain tumor. Academic press, United Kingdom. 2018.