Nilotinib hydrochloride monohydrate is a tyrosine kinase inhibitor approved for the treatment of chronic myelogenous leukemia. A new stability indicating ultra-fast liquid chromatographic (RP-UFLC) method was developed for the quantification of Nilotinib and validated. Mobile phase consisting of a mixture of sodium acetate (pH 5.0): acetonitrile (40: 60, v/v) was used with flow rate 0.8 mL/min (UV detection at 254 nm) for the chromatographic study. Nilotinib obeys Beer-Lambert’s law over the concentration range of 0.2-80 µg/mL (R2 = 0.9999) with linear regression equation y = 175336x +20675. The LOQ was found to be 0.1897 µg/mL and the LOD was found to be 0.0619 µg/mL. Forced degradation studies were performed such as acidic, alkaline, oxidation and thermal degradations and the method was validated as per ICH guidelines.
Cite this article:
Paladugu Venkata Naveen, Seru Ganapaty. A new stability indicating ultra-fast liquid chromatographic (RP-UFLC) method for the quantification of Nilotinib – A drug for blood cancer. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(5):2581-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00454
Paladugu Venkata Naveen, Seru Ganapaty. A new stability indicating ultra-fast liquid chromatographic (RP-UFLC) method for the quantification of Nilotinib – A drug for blood cancer. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(5):2581-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00454 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-5-38
1. Alfonso Quintás-Cardama, Hagop Kantarjian and Jorge Cortes. Third-Generation Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors and Beyond. Seminars in Hematology. 2010; 47(4): 371-380.
2. Manley PW, Drueckes P, Fendrich G, Furet P, Liebetanz J, Martiny Baron G, et al., Extended kinase profile and properties of the protein kinase inhibitor Nilotinib. Biochim et Biophy Acta, 2010; 3: 445-453.
3. Weisberg E, Manley P, Mestan J, Cowan-Jacob S, Ray A, Griffin JD. AMN107 (Nilotinib): a novel and selective inhibitor of BCR-ABL. Brit. J. Cancer. 2006; 94: 1765-1769.
4. Yuki M, Yamakawa Y, Uchida T, et al. High-performance liquid chromatographic assay for the determination of Nilotinib in human plasma. Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin. 2011; 34(7):1126-1128.
5. Miura M, Takahashi N, Sawada K. High-performance liquid chromatography with solid-phase extraction for the quantitative determination of Nilotinib in human plasma. Biomed Chromatogr. 2010; 24(7):789-93.
6. Marek D, Marie-Christine W, Daniel BL, Thomas F, Heidemarie B. High-performance liquid chromatography with ultraviolet detection and protein precipitation as a way of quantitative determination of Nilotinib with and without internal standard. J. Liq. Chromatogr. and Rel. Tech. 2012; 35: 2503-2510.
7. Pursche S, Ottmann OG, Ehninger G, Schleyer E, High-performance liquid chromatography method with ultraviolet detection for the quantification of the BCR-ABL inhibitor Nilotinib (AMN107) in plasma, urine, culture medium and cell preparations. J. Chromatogr. B Anal. Tech. Biomed. Life Sci. 2007; 852: 208-216.
8. Parise RA, Egorin MJ, Christner SM, Shah DD, Zhou W, Beumer JH. A high-performance liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry assay for quantitation of the tyrosine kinase inhibitor Nilotinib in human plasma and serum. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2009; 877(20-21):1894-1900.
9. Kondra SB, Madireddy V, Chilukuri M, Papadasu N, Jonnalagadda L. A validated stability-indicative UPLC method for Nilotinib hydrochloride for the determination of process-related and degradation impurities. J Chromatographic Science. 2014; 52(8): 880-885.
10. Nakahara R, Satho Y, Itoh H. High-performance Liquid chromatographic ultraviolet detection of Nilotinib in human plasma from patients with chronic Myelogenous leukemia, and comparison with liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. J Clin Lab Anal. 2016; 30(6):1028-1030.
11. Ramu Ivaturi T, Manikya Sastry and J. Chromatogr. B Anal. Tech. Biomed. Life Sci. 2007; 852, Satyaveni. Development and validation of a stability indicating HPLC method for the determination of Nilotinib hydrochloride in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2016; 8(9) 41-48.
12. Satyanarayana L, Naidu SV, Narasimha Rao M, Suma Latha Reddy. The estimation of Nilotinib in capsule dosage form by RP-HPLC. Asian J. Pharm. Anal. 2011; 1(4): 82-84.
13. Harika M, Kumar GS. Development and validation of method for the determination of Nilotinib by RP-HPLC in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage forms. Int. Res. J. Pharmacy. 2012; 3: 161-164.
14. Sowjanya G, Annapurna MM, Sriram AV. Development and validation of a stability indicating RP-HPLC method for the determination of Nilotinib (A tyrosine kinase inhibitor). Indo Am J Pharm Res 2013; 3: 4541-4551.
15. ICH Validation of analytical procedures: Text and methodology Q2 (R1), International Conference on Harmonization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2005.
16. ICH Stability testing of New Drug Substances and Products Q1A (R2), International Conference on Harmonization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2003.