The morphometry of proximal femur is necessary in planning surgeries of hip joint and preparation of prosthesis for hip replacement. The aim of the study was to measure various morphometric parameters of femoral head and neck. The study consisted of sixty adult dry human femora of both sexes (thirty left sided and thirty right sided). Various dimensions of femoral head and neck were measured by slide caliper. Diameter of femoral head was estimated to be 39.28±3.87mm along cranio-caudal axis and 41.18±4.14mm along sagittal axis. Diameter of femoral neck was established as 29.03±3.8mm along cranio-caudal axis and 24.36±3.13mm along sagittal axis. Length of femoral neck was measured to be 50.57±6.77mm. The findings of the study will be useful in manufacturing prosthesis and implants for hip replacement as well as other surgeries involving proximal femur.
Cite this article:
Gyanaranjan Nayak. Dimensions of Proximal Femur - An Anatomical Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(5):2540-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00447
Gyanaranjan Nayak. Dimensions of Proximal Femur - An Anatomical Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(5):2540-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00447 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-5-31
1. Mourao AL, Vasconcellos HA. Geometria do femur proximal em ossos de brasileiros. Acta Fisiatrica. 2001;8(3): 113-119.
2. Mahaisavariya B, Sitthiseripratap K, Tongdee T. Morphological study of proximal femur: a new method of geometrical assessment using 3-dimensional reverse engineering. Med Engineering and Physics.2002;24(9): 617-622.
3. Khan SM, Saheb SH. Study on neck shaft angle and femoral length of South Indian femur. International Journal of Anatomy and Research.2014;2: 633-635.
4. Chaudhary PN, Shirol VS, Virupaxi RD. A morphometric study of femoral length, anterior neck length and neck-shaft angle in dry femora; A cross-sectional study. Indian Journal of Health Sciences and Biomedical Research. 2017 Sept- Dec;10(3): 331-334.
5. Menezes TM, Rocha TDS, Oliviora BDR et al. Proximal femoral epiphysis: manual morphometry versus digital morphometry. Intrnational Journal of Morphology. 2015;33(3): 1114-1119.
6. Verma M, Joshi S, Tuli A et al. Morphometry of proximal femur in Indian population. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2017 Feb;11(2): AC 01-AC 04.
7. Sousa EB, Fernades RMP, Mathias MB et al. Morphometric study of the proximal femur extremity in Brazilians. International Journal of Morphology.2010;28(3): 835-840.
8. Hoagulund FT, Low WD. Anatomy of the femoral neck and head with comparative data from Caucasians and Hong Kong Chinese. Clinical Orthopedic Related Research.1980;152: 10-16.
9. Dutchie RA, Bruce MF, Hutchison JD. Changing proximal femoral geometry in north east Scotland: an osteometric study. British Medical Journal.1998;316:1498.
10. Igbibi PS and Msamati BC. The femoral collodiaphysial angle in Malawian adults. American Journal of Orthopedics.2002;31(12): 682-685.