Milan B. Agrawal, Mayur M. Patel
Milan B. Agrawal, Mayur M. Patel*
Department of Pharmaceutics, Institute of Pharmacy, Nirma University, SG Highway,
Chharodi, Ahmedabad: 382 481, Gujarat, India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 5,
Year - 2021
The present research work was intended to develop and characterize the transdermal adhesive patch of quetiapine using different types of acrylate, polyisobutylene and silicon adhesives. Various permeation enhancers such as 1, 8 – cineole, D-limonene, Azone, IPM and Oleic acid were also evaluated to achieve desired permeation rate and hence to attain the improved bioavailability of quetiapine as compared to oral formulation. Formulations prepared were evaluated for physicochemical characterization, permeability enhancement potential by ex vivo, and stability studies. The results of the optimized formulation showed peel strength of 423 ± 4.13 cN/cm, flux of 54.92 ± 0.79 (µg/h/cm2) and % drug content of 98.16 ± 0.43% which was stable up to six months in accelerated condition. The results of the study revealed that the developed transdermal patch of quetiapine can be a promising alternative which provides effective management of schizophrenia in terms of improved patient compliance and reduced dosage frequency.
Cite this article:
Milan B. Agrawal, Mayur M. Patel. Formulation and Evaluation of Quetiapine Loaded Pressure Sensitive Adhesive Patch for Transdermal Drug Delivery. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(5):2535-9. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00446
Milan B. Agrawal, Mayur M. Patel. Formulation and Evaluation of Quetiapine Loaded Pressure Sensitive Adhesive Patch for Transdermal Drug Delivery. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(5):2535-9. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00446 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-5-30
1. Picchioni M, Murray R, Clinical review on schizophrenia. Psychiatry by Ten Teach 2017;335(July):102–13.
2. Schizophrenia Factsheets details [Internet]. Geneva: World Health Organization; [updated Apr 2018; cited 2019 July 06]. Available from:https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/schizophrenia
3. Clemency BM, Eggleston W, Lindstrom HA. Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics of Naloxone. Acad Emerg Med. 2019;24(2):161–76.
4. Potu AR, Pujari N, Burra S, Veerareddy PR. Formulation and evaluation of buccoadhesive quetiapine fumarate tablets. 2012;48.
5. Dose I, Mania-Adults, dose R, Dose M. Quetiapine fumarate- quetiapine fumarate tablet sandozinc highlights of prescribing information full prescribing information : contents.
6. Jondhalekar TM, Aher SS, Saudagar RB. Transethosome : Novel Vesicular Carrier for Enhanced Transdermal Drug Delivery System. 2017;10(June):1816–9.
7. Ali S, Shabbir M, Shahid N. The Structure of Skin and Transdermal Drug Delivery System- A Review. 2015;8(February):103–9.
8. Aggarwal G, Dhawan S, Hari Kumar SL. Formulation, in vitro and in vivo evaluation of transdermal patches containing risperidone. Drug Dev Ind Pharm. 2013;39(1):39–50.
9. Liu C, Fang L. Drug in Adhesive Patch of Zolmitriptan: Formulation and In vitro /In vivo Correlation. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech. 2015;16(6):1245–53.
10. Parhi R, Suresh P. Formulation optimization and characterization of transdermal film of simvastatin by response surface methodology. Mater Sci Eng C. 2016; 58:331–41.
11. Sarkar G, Saha NR, Roy I, Bhattacharyya A, Bose M, Mishra R, et al. Taro corms mucilage/HPMC based transdermal patch: An efficient device for delivery of diltiazem hydrochloride. Int J Biol Macromol. 2014; 66:158–65.
12. Imani M, Lahootifard F, Taghizadeh SM, Takrousta M. Effect of Adhesive Layer Thickness and Drug Loading on Estradiol Crystallization in a Transdermal Drug Delivery System. 2010; 11(3): 1268–75.
13. Taghizadeh SM, Moghimi-Ardakani A, Mohamadnia F. A statistical experimental design approach to evaluate the influence of various penetration enhancers on transdermal drug delivery of buprenorphine. J Adv Res [Internet]. 2015;6(2):155–62. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jare.2014.01.006
14. Pharmacy C, Mandsaur D. Method Development and Validation for Estimation of Quetiapine Fumarate by RP-HPLC. 2010;3(3):604–7.
15. Shabbir M, Ali S, Farooq M, Adnan S. Formulation Factors Affecting In Vitro and Ex Vivo Permeation of Bisoprolol Fumarate from a Matrix Transdermal Patch. 2015;0(0):1–11.
16. Mundargi RC, Patil SA, Agnihotri SA, Aminabhavi TM. Evaluation and controlled release characteristics of modified xanthan films for transdermal delivery of atenolol. Drug Dev Ind Pharm. 2007;33(1):79–90.
17. Yang Z, Teng Y, Wang H, Hou H. Enhancement of skin permeation of bufalin by limonene via reservoir type transdermal patch: Formulation design and biopharmaceutical evaluation. Int J Pharm [Internet]. 2013;447(1–2):231–40. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpharm.2013.02.048
18. Barot BS, Parejiya PB, Patel HK, Gohel MC, Shelat PK. Microemulsion-Based Gel of Terbinafine for the Treatment of Onychomycosis: Optimization of Formulation Using D-Optimal Design. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech. 2012;13(1):184–92.
19. Gupta V, Singh S, Srivarstava M, Ahmad H, Pachauri SD, Khandelwal K, et al. Effect of polydimethylsiloxane and ethylcellulose on in vitro permeation of centchroman from its transdermal patches. Drug Deliv. 2016;23(1):113–22.
20. Agency EM. European Medicines Agency (EMEA). Wiley Encycl Clin Trials [Internet]. 2008;(February):1–20. Available from: http://doi.wiley.com/10.1002/9780471462422.eoct456
21. Banerjee S, Chattopadhyay P, Ghosh A, Bhattacharya SS, Kundu A, Veer V. Accelerated stability testing of a transdermal patch composed of eserine and pralidoxime chloride for prophylaxis against (±)-anatoxin a poisoning. J Food Drug Anal [Internet]. 2014;22(2):264–70. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jfda.2014.01.022
22. Mutalik S, Parekh HS, Davies NM, Udupa N. A combined approach of chemical enhancers and sonophoresis for the transdermal delivery of tizanidine hydrochloride. Drug Deliv. 2009;16(2):82–91.
23. U.S. Department of Health and Human. Guidance for Industry Starting Dose in Initial Clinical Trials Guidance for Industry Estimating the Maximum Safe. Pharmacol Toxicol. 2005;(July):1–27.
24. Development of Extended Release Pellets of Quetiapine Fumarate by using HPMC and Eudragit RSPO Abstract : 2014;7(July):771–5.
25. Christian S, Autonomous C, District K, Nadu T, David SB, Raj GAG. Development Studies of Biodegradable Pressure Sensitive Adhesives from Groundnut Oil and Butylmethacrylate. 2010;3(1):40–6.
26. Patel JG, Solanki SS, Patel KB, Patel MP, Patel JK. Buccal Drug Delivery System : A Review. 2012;5(July):883–8.
27. Rhee Y, Huh J, Park C, Nam T, Yoon K, Chi S, et al. Conh~-~/n~. 2007;30(9):1155–61.
28. Assessment of curcumin release with different permeation enhancers Introduction: 2012;5(March):408–10.
29. Williams AC, Edwards HGM, Lawson EE, Barry BW. Molecular interactions between the penetration enhancer 1,8-cineole and human skin. J Raman Spectrosc. 2006;37(1–3):361–6.
30. Zhao K, Singh J. Mechanism(s) of in vitro percutaneous absorption enhancement of tamoxifen by enhancers. J Pharm Sci. 2000;89(6):771–80.
31. El-Kattan AF, Asbill CS, Michniak BB. The effect of terpene enhancer lipophilicity on the percutaneous permeation of hydrocortisone formulated in HPMC gel systems. Int J Pharm. 2000;198(2):179–89.
32. Nj M, Parthasarathy V, Manavalan R. Role of Flavonoids in Free Radical Induced Hepatic Fibrosis. 2009;2(1):52–7.
33. Moreira TS, de Sousa VP, Pierre MBR. Erratum to: A Novel Transdermal Delivery System for the Anti-Inflammatory Lumiracoxib: Influence of Oleic Acid on In Vitro Percutaneous Absorption and In Vivo Potential Cutaneous Irritation. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech. 2010;11(2):719–719.
34. Matlhola K, Katataseru L, Tshweu L, Bahadur I, Makgatho G, Balogun M. Formulation and Optimization of Eudragit RS PO-Tenofovir Nanocarriers Using Box-Behnken Experimental Design. 2015;2015.
35. Moustafine RI, Zaharov IM, Kemenova VA. Physicochemical characterization and drug release properties of Eudragit w E PO / Eudragit w L 100-55 interpolyelectrolyte complexes. 2006; 63:26–36.
36. Sethia S, Squillante E. Solid dispersion of carbamazepine in PVP K30 by conventional solvent evaporation and supercritical methods. Int J Pharm. 2004;272(1–2):1–10.
37. Arulappa RX, Sundarapandian M, Singh R, Venkataraman S. Spectrophotometric Method for Estimation of Quetiapine Fumarate in Bulk and Dosage Form. 2009;2(4):452–3.
38. Gondkar SB, Patil NR, Saudagar RB. Formulation Development and Characterization of Etodolac Loaded Transethosomes for Transdermal Delivery. 2017;10(September):3049–56.