Sonali S. Gadge, Madhuri D. Game, Vikrant L. Salode
Sonali S. Gadge1*, Madhuri D. Game2, Vikrant L. Salode1
1P R Patil Institute of Pharmacy, Talegaon (SP), Dist - Wardha - 442202. (MS), India.
2Vidyabharati College of Pharmacy, Amravati – 444602 (MS), India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 5,
Year - 2021
Two novel simple, accurate and precise spectrophotometric methods have been developed for quantitative estimation of Paroxetine hydrochloride and Clonazepam in the tablet dosage form. The standard stock solution was prepared by using the solvent methanol and further dilutions were carried out by using 0.1 N HCl. The method I is Vierodt’s Simultaneous method in which 291.60nm and 272.27nm was selected for estimation of Paroxetine and Clonazepam respectively, while method II is Absorbance Correction method, where 325 nm and 291nm was selected for estimation of Paroxetine hydrochloride and Clonazepam respectively. The calibration curve was plotted of the concentration range of 0.5-30µg/ml for both the drugs. Both the drugs obeyed Beer’s law in the concentration range 0.5-30µg/ml, correlation coefficient (r2<1). The precision of both the methods was found satisfactorily. The values of relative standards were not more than 2%. Both methods were validated statistically and recovery studies were carried out to confirm the accuracy. Commercial tablet formulation was successfully analyzed using the developed methods. Both these methods can be used for routine analysis for the estimation of Paroxetine hydrochloride and Clonazepam in the combined formulation. Due to the high sensitivity and simple sample preparation, the methods described can be used for undergraduate studies. Hence simple spectrophotometric methods have more advantages over sophisticated instrumental analysis such as HPLC. Hence these two simple and economical, instrumental methods always have a role in pharmaceutical analysis.
Cite this article:
Sonali S. Gadge, Madhuri D. Game, Vikrant L. Salode. Simultaneous Spectrophotometric Estimation of Paroxetine Hydrochlorides and Clonazepam in Bulk and Tablet Dosage Form. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(5):2497-1. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00440
Sonali S. Gadge, Madhuri D. Game, Vikrant L. Salode. Simultaneous Spectrophotometric Estimation of Paroxetine Hydrochlorides and Clonazepam in Bulk and Tablet Dosage Form. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(5):2497-1. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00440 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-5-24
1. The Indian Pharmacopoeia. Govt. of India Vol-II. Ghaziabad: Ministry of Family Welfare, Published by the Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission. 2010; pp. 1111-1114.
2. Patel VB, Dave JB, Patel FM, Patel CN. UV Spectrophotometric Method for Estimation and Identification of Clonazepam in Tablet Dosage Form. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research and Bioscience. 2012; 1(2):62-70.
3. Argrawal N, Joseph ER, Dubey NP, Durgbanshi A, Bose D. Determination of Paroxetine in Pharmaceutical Preparation Using HPLC with Electrochemical Detection. The Open Analytical Chemistry Journal. 2013; 7:1-5.
4. Gunasekara N S, Noble S and Benfield P. Paxoxetine: An Update of its Pharmacology and Therapeutic Use in Depression and A Review of its Use in Other Disorders. Drugs. 1998; 55(1): 85–120.
5. Dannon P, Lancu I Lowengrub K, Amiaz R, Grunhaus L, Kotler M. Clonazepam Augumentation of Paroxetine in the Treatment of Panic Disorder: A One Year Naturalistic Follow-up Studies. The Internet Journal of Mental Health. 2004; 2: 276-282.
6. Christopher J, James TS. Analysis of clonazepam in a Tablet Dosage Form by Using HPLC. Journal of Pharmaceutical Biomedical Analysis. 1998; 18: 453–460.
7. Kakde R, Satone D, Bawane N. Simultaneous Estimation of Escitalopram and Clonazepam in Pharmaceutical Preparation by HPTLC. Journal of Planar Chromatography. 2009; 22(6): 417 – 420.
8. Sharma MC, Sharma S. Simultaneous Spectrophotometric Determination of Paroxetine HCl in Bulk and Tablet Dosage Form. Journal of Optoelectronics and Biomedical Materials. 2010; 2(4): 185 – 189.
9. Yanamandala G, Srikumar PP. Development and Validation of a Stability-Indicating HPLC Method for the Simultaneous Estimation of Paroxetine hydrochloride and Clonazepam in Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms. International Journal of Pharmacy. 2014; 4(1):448 – 457.