Deepika Rani, Vaishali Sharma1, Rashmi Manchanda, Himanshu Chaurasia
Deepika Rani1*, Vaishali Sharma1, Rashmi Manchanda2, Himanshu Chaurasia1
1Adarsh Vijendra Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences (Shobhit University), Gangoh, Saharanpur, U.P,
2R.K.S.D. College of Pharmacy, Kaithal, Haryana.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 5,
Year - 2021
Background: Present work reports the formulation design and optimization of minoxidil loaded glycerosomes for topical application. The delivery system enhances the vesicular properties of vesicles by modifying the fluidity of lipid bilayer. The major component of formulation consists of phospholipid, glycerol, and cholesterol. Methodology: Glycerosomes were prepared by using lipid film hydration method. Prepared formulations were optimized using Box behnken 32 full factorial experimental designs. Two independent variables were selected which were Sonication time (X1), and Glycerol Concentration (X2) and with respect to these two dependent variables were selected which were % cumulative drug release after eight hours (Y1), and Entrapment efficiency (Y2). Nine formulations of (G1-G9) were prepared based on factorial design for optimization. Result and Discussion: Prepared formulations were evaluated in terms of surface analysis, charge distribution, encapsulation efficiency, in-vitro diffusion studies, stability testing and release kinetics. The fabricated glycerosomes found to possess entrapment efficiency in the range of 70.29±0.75 to 87.91±0.23%, cumulative drug release: 73.12 to 89.39%; a shelf life of 356 days at 4± 1°C and show higuchi release kinetics, fickian diffusion. Conclusion: As glycerol present in formulation in high quantity, this is itself used as humectant, emollient and penetration enhancer. So this formulation is best suitable for topical delivery of drugs.
Cite this article:
Deepika Rani, Vaishali Sharma1, Rashmi Manchanda, Himanshu Chaurasia. Formulation, Design and Optimization of Glycerosomes for Topical Delivery of Minoxidil. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(5):2367-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00418
Deepika Rani, Vaishali Sharma1, Rashmi Manchanda, Himanshu Chaurasia. Formulation, Design and Optimization of Glycerosomes for Topical Delivery of Minoxidil. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(5):2367-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00418 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-5-2
1. Bhowmik D, Gopinath H, Kumar PB, Duraivel S, Kumar KPS. Recent advances in novel drug delivery system. The Pharma. Innovation.2012; 1:12-1.
2. Gorle AP. A way to increase effectiveness of Paracetamol Drug Through Transdermal patch. Inter J Pharm Sci. 2016;7:30-4.doi: 10.7897/2230-8407.07325
3. Abdallah MH. Transferosomes as a transdermal drug delivery system for enhancement the antifungal activity of nystatin. Int J Pharm. Pharm. Sci. 2013; 5:560-67.
4. Walve JR, Bakliwal SR, Rane BR, Pawar SP. Transferosomes: A surrogated carrier for the transdermal drug delivery system. Int J APPI Bio Pharm Tech. 2011; 2:204-13.
5. Biju SS, Telegaonkar S, Mishra PR, Khar RK. Vesicular systems: An overview. Indian J Pharm. Sci. 2006;68:141-53.doi:10.4103/0250-474X.25707
6. Srikanth K, Nappinnai M, Gupta VRM. Proniosomes: A novel drug carrier system. Research J. Pharm. and Tech.2010; 3:709-711.
7. Saraf S, Paliwal S, Kaur DC, Saraf S, Sphingosomes novel approach to vesicular drug delivery Research J. Pharm. and Tech.2011; 4:661-666.
8. Kamboj S, Saini V, Magon N, Bala S, Jhawat V. Vesicular drug delivery systems: A novel approach for drug targeting. International Journal of Drug Delivery. 2013; 5: 121-30.
9. Manca ML, Fadda M, Orsini G, Glycerosomes and thereof use in pharmaceutical and cosmetic preparation for topical applications. EP2010/001428, 2014: May 7.
10. Zaru M, Manca ML, Fadda M, Orsini G. Glycerosomes and thereof use in pharmaceutical and cosmetic preparation for topical applications. US2012/0141565, 2012; Jun 7.
11. Carla Caddeo, Maria Manconi, Donatella Valenti, Anna Maria Maccioni, Anna Maria Fadda, Chiara Sinico. The role of labrasol in the enhancement of the cutaneous bioavailability of minoxidil in phospholipid vesicles. Research J. Pharm. and Tech.2012; 5:1563-1569.
12. Usmania, Bilandi A, Kataria M. Formulation and evaluation of minoxidil emulgel for androgenic alopecia. Indo American Journal Of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2016; 3:1593-1610.
13. Rani D, C, Kumar A, Sharma VK. Formulation development and in vitro evaluation of minoxidil bearing glycerosomes. American journal of biomedical research. 2016; 4:27-7.
14. Larsson J. Methods for measurement of solubility and dissolution rate of sparingly soluble drug. 2010. p. 11.
15. Chauhan SB, Gupta V. Recent advances in liposome. Research J. Pharm. and Tech.2020;13:2051-2056.doi:10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00369.8
16. Sankar C, Muthukumar S, Arunkumaran G, Shalini S, Sundaraganapathy R, Sandra joji Samuel. Formulations and characterization of liposomes containing Clindamycin and green tea for Anti Acne. Research J. Pharm. and Tech.2019;12:5977-5984.doi:10.5958/0974-360X.2019.01038.2
17. Zang Kai, Zang Yongtai, Li Zhe, Li Nana, Feng Nianping,et al. Essential oil-Mediated glycerosomes increase transdermal paeoniflorin delivery: optimization, characteriation, and evaluation in vitro and in vivo. Int J Nanomedicine. 2017; 12; 3521-32.
18. Sadi JA. Designing experiments: 3 level full factorial design and variation of processing parameters methods by polymer colors. Adv Sci Tech Eng syst J 2018; 3:109-15.
19. Girhepunje Kundik, Pal R, Upadhayay, Thirumoothy N. Transdermal delivery of ciclopirox olamine via ethosomal and liposomal Carrier. Research J. Pharm. and Tech.2011; 4:1207-1211.
20. Padmasree M, Vishwanath BA, Patil S, Mythili S, Kirupakar BR. Formulation characterization and stability study of encapsulated anticancer drug in multilayered PEGylated tumor targeting stealth liposomes. Research J. Pharm. and Tech.2019;12:4689-4689, doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2019.00807.2
21. Panwar P, Panday B, Lakhera PC, Singh KP. Preparation, characterization, and in vitro release study of albendazole-encapsulated nanosize liposomes. Int J nanomedicine 2010; 5:101-8.
22. Saha S, Roy A, Bahadur S, Choudhury A. Fabrication and in-vitro evaluation liposomal quercetin and its optimization. Research J. Pharm. and Tech.2018; 11:61-64.doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00012.4
23. Darle DV, Kasliwal NH, Gandhi PP, Yeole DR. Development, characterization and evaluation of niosomes and liposomes of Bacitracin Zinc. Research J. Pharm. and Tech.2010; 3:1295-1300.
24. Mallina SA, Sundararajan R. Diclofenac sodium loaded liposomal for transdermal delivery. Formulation, characterization and pharmacokinetic evaluation. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019;12:4051-4062, doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00746.1.
25. Laxmi V, Zafaruddin, Kuchana V. Design and characterization of transferosome gel of Repaglinide. International Research Journal of Pharmacy 2015; 6:38-2.
26. Dash S, Murthy PN, Nath L, Chowdhury P. Kinetic modeling on drug release from controlled drug delivery systems. Acta Pol Pharm-Drug Res. 2010; 67:217-23.
27. Zhan S, Wang J, Wang W, Cui L, Zhao Q. Preparation and in vitro release kinetics of nitrendepine- loaded PLLA-PEG-PLLA microparticles by supercritical solution impregnation process. Royal Society of Chemistry 2019;9:16167-75.doi: 10.1039/C9RA01068H
28. Caselles T, Villalain J, Gomez JC. Stability of liposome on long term storage. J Pharm Pharmacol.1990;42:397-400.
29. Bajaj S, Singla D, Sakhuja N. Stability Testing of Pharmaceutical Products. J Appl Pharm Sci 2012; 2:129-38.