Budi Handayani, Mieke Sylvia Margaretha A R, Rini Devijanti Ridwan, Mohammed Aljunaid
Budi Handayani1, Mieke Sylvia Margaretha A R2, Rini Devijanti Ridwan3, Mohammed Aljunaid4
1Doctoral Program, Faculty of Medicine, Universitas Airlangga, Surabaya, Indonesia.
2Department of Forensic Odontology, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Universitas Airlangga, Surabaya, Indonesia.
3Department of Oral Biology, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Universitas Airlangga, Surabaya, Indonesia.
4Postgraduate Program of Oral and Dental Health Science, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Universitas Airlangga, Surabaya, Indonesia.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 5,
Year - 2021
Herbal medicine is interesting including treatments that use propolis. Propolis collected by Apis mellifera bees has a very useful composition whose active ingredients are flavonoids, CAPE and saponin. This research aims to analyze the effect of Apis mellifera propolis on RUNX-2 and ALP during the remodeling period caused by the orthodontic tooth movement in Cavia cobaya. It constitutes an experimental laboratory study and a random sampling method. The method used experimental laboratory research on 28 Cavia cobaya, which were divided into four groups consisting of two control groups and two treatment groups which have been given 3% and 5% propolis extract respectively. RUNX-2 and ALP expression were evaluated using immunohistochemical staining. Materials and Methods: Propolis is a resin substance produced by bees. Cavia cobaya with orthodontic tooth movement by separator rubber. The control group (Group 1) included clinically healthy Cavia cobaya (n=7), (Group 2) included Cavia cobaya with orthodontic tooth movement (n=7). A treatment group (Group P1) Cavia cobaya have been treated with orthodontic tooth movement and propolis 3%, (Group P2) Cavia cobaya have been treated with orthodontic tooth movement and propolis 5% and observed for 17 days. Samples of maxilla were taken from the subjects for analysis on day 17. RUNX-2 and ALP expression were evaluated using immunohistochemical staining. Results: showed that RUNX-2 and ALP expression were found to increase in the tension side. Conclusion: Propolis extract at 5% concentration had ability in bone remodeling by increasing RUNX-2 and ALP expression in the tension area during orthodontic tooth movement.
Cite this article:
Budi Handayani, Mieke Sylvia Margaretha A R, Rini Devijanti Ridwan, Mohammed Aljunaid. The Effect of Apis mellifera Propolis on RUNX-2 and ALP during Remodeling of Orthodontic Tooth movement. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(5):2363-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00417
Budi Handayani, Mieke Sylvia Margaretha A R, Rini Devijanti Ridwan, Mohammed Aljunaid. The Effect of Apis mellifera Propolis on RUNX-2 and ALP during Remodeling of Orthodontic Tooth movement. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(5):2363-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00417 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-5-1
1. Punasiya Rakesh, Yadav Amid, Gaurav Krishna, Pillai Sujit. Formulation and Evaluation of Herbal Gel Containing Extract of Hibiscus syriacus. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2014; 7(3): 296-300.
2. Rinku Y. Pati, Shubhangi A. Patil, Niranjan D. Chivate, Yogesh N. Patil. Herbal Drug Nanoparticles: Advancements in Herbal Treatment. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11(1): 421-426.
3. Parolia A, Thomas MS, Kundabala M, Mohan M. Propolis and its potential uses in oral health. Int. J. Med. and Medical Sci.2010; 2(7): 210-215.
4. Abd El Hady FK, Hegazi AG. Egyptian Propolis: chemical composition, antiviral and antimicrobial activities of east Nile Delta propolis. Z. Natureforsch. 2002: 57 (3-4); 386-394.
5. Ott SM, Oleksik A, Lu Y, Harper K, Lips P. Bone histomorphometric and biochemical marker result of a 2-year placebo-controlled trial of raloxifene in post-menopausal women. J Bone Moner Res. 2002: 17 (2); p 341-348.
6. Proffit WR, Field HW dan Sarver DM. Contemporary Orthodontics, Elsevier Health Sciences, 4th ed. London. 2007; p. 167-9, 331-2.
7. Rahendra Wira Hermawan, Ida Bagus Narmada, Irwadi Djaharu’ddin, Alexander Patera Nugraha, Dwi Rahmawati. The Influence of Epigallocatechin Gallate on the Nuclear Factor Associated T Cell-1 and Sclerostin Expression in Wistar Rats (Rattus novergicus) during the Orthodontic Tooth Movement. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(4): 1730-1734.
8. Kartika KA, Narmada IB, Ardani IG. A W. Efek propolis terhadap Aktivitas Osteoblas pada pergerakan Gigi dengan Hiperglikemi. Orthodontic Dental Journal. 2013:4 (1). Fakultas Kedokteran Gigi Universitas Airlangga. h. 14.
9. Husin E, Tjandrawinata R, Juliani M, Roeslan BO. Orthodontic Force Application in Correlation with Salivary Lactate Dehydrogenase Activity. Journal of Dentistry Indonesia. 2012: 19 (1); pp.10-13.
10. Kumar MPS, Nandhini T. Mechanism of action of Bone Morphogenic Protein 3 in the maintenance of Tissue Homeostasis. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(3): 1270-1274.
11. Kumar MPS, Devishree. Role of Bone Morphogenic Protein 3 in the regulation of Bone Growth and Development. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11(3): 1251-1254.
12. Nugraeni Yuli, Riawan Wibi, Permatasari Nur, Widjajanto Edy, Dradjat Respati S. Effect of Aloe vera gel on the expression¬ of FGF-2, TGF-, and Smad3 in the root surface of rat teeth after Traumatic avulsion. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2019; 12(9): 4405-4409.
13. Pieniazek AM, Morawiec T, Mertas A, Tanasiewicz M, Dziedzic A, Krol W. Influence of propolis on hygiene, gingival condition, and oral microflora in patients with cleft lip and palate treated with fixed orthodontic appliances. Hindawi Evidence based complementary and alternative medicine. 2013: 2013, article ID 183915, page 1-9.
14. Mukhlis. Pengarug propolis topical terhadap perbaikan luka, ekspresi transforming growth factor-beta dan matrix metalloproteinase-9 pada mencit model ulkus kaki diabetic. 2016.
15. Prameswari N and Handayani B. Stichopus hermanii stimulation to Runx2 expression as Periodontal Remodeling Biomarkers to accelerate Orthodontic Tooth Movement. IOP Conf. Series: Earth and environmental science. 2019: 217 (2019); 012058.
16. Tolba M F, El-Serafi A, Omar HA. Caffeic acid phenethyl ester protects against glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis in vivo: Impact on oxidative stress and RANKL/OPG signals. Toxicology and applied pharmacology. 2017: 324 (2017), p:26-35.
17. Pudyani PS, Asmara W, Ana ID, Utari TR. A. Alkaline phosphatse expression during relapse after orthodontic tooth movement. Dental journal. 2014: 47 (1), p 25-30.
18. Darmadi D, Mustamir E, 2016. The effect of propolis on increasing the number of osteoblasts and chondrocytes and decreasing the number of osteoclasts in wistar rats (Rattusnovergicus) with femoral bone fracture. IOSR journal of dental and medical sciences. 2016:15 (12); P 90-95.