Dony Lonappan, Dineshkumar B, K. Krishnakumar, Smitha K Nair, R. Rajeshkumar
Dony Lonappan1, Dineshkumar B1*, K. Krishnakumar1, Smitha K Nair1, R. Rajeshkumar2
1Dept. of Pharmaceutics, St James College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, St. James Hospital Trust Pharmaceutical Research Centre (DSIR Recognized) Chalakudy, Kerala.
2Dept. of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, JSS College of Pharmacy, Ooty, Tamilnadu.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2021
The prevalence of neurological diseases is increasing too rapidly in ageing population in world. In traditional practice of medicine of natural products has been reported to treat neurological disorders. Para-coumaric acid is a hydroxycinnamic acid and reported for various pharmacological activities such as anti-oxidant, anti-microbial, anti-cancer, anti-ulcer and anti-inflammatory effects. But clinical application of para-coumaric acid is limited due to its poor dissolution rate. Polymeric nanoparticles have been reported for targeted drug delivery system. With this information, our study focused to formulate para-coumaric acid loaded chitosan nanoparticles in order to evaluate its neuroprotective potential against neuroblastoma (SH-SY5Y) cell line. Different formulations (F1, F2, F3) of Para-coumaric acid loaded chitosan nanoparticles (PCA-NPs) was prepared by simple ionic cross-linking method. Formulated PCA-NPs were subjected to characterization methods such as SEM analysis, Drug loading and Entrapment efficiency, in-vitro drug release and Stability studies. The in vitro cyto-toxicity assay of formulated PCA-NPs was performed against neuroblastoma (SH-SY5Y) cell line. This study indicated that F2-formulationof PCA-NPs showed improved dissolution rate of drug and considerable neuro-protective activity against neuroblastoma (SH-SY5Y) cell line in a dose-dependent manner. Thus, the study concluded that nanoparticle formulation could be suitable for targeted drug delivery system against neurological disorder.
Cite this article:
Dony Lonappan, Dineshkumar B, K. Krishnakumar, Smitha K Nair, R. Rajeshkumar. Formulation of Para-coumaric Acid Loaded Chitosan Nanoparticles: In Vitro Neuroprotective effect against Neuroblastoma Cell Line. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(4):2286-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00404
Dony Lonappan, Dineshkumar B, K. Krishnakumar, Smitha K Nair, R. Rajeshkumar. Formulation of Para-coumaric Acid Loaded Chitosan Nanoparticles: In Vitro Neuroprotective effect against Neuroblastoma Cell Line. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(4):2286-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00404 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-4-80
1. Kovacs GG. Molecular pathological classification of neurodegenerative diseases: Turning towards precision medicine. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2016; 17(2): E189.
2. Maris JM. Recent advances in neuroblastoma. N Engl J Med. 2010; 362(23): 2202-2211.
3. Bagli E, Goussia A, Moschos MM, Agnantis N, Kitsos G. Natural Compounds and Neuroprotection: Mechanisms of Action and Novel Delivery Systems. International Journal of Experimental and Clinical Pathophysiology and Drug Research, 2016 30 (5) 535-547.
4. Guven M, Aras AB, Akman T, Sen HM, Ozkan A, Salis O, Sehitoglu I, Kalkan Y, Silan C, Deniz M, Cosar M. Neuroprotective effect of p-coumaric acid in rat model of embolic cerebral ischemia. Iran J Basic Med Sci. 2015;18(4):356–363.
5. Trapani A, De Giglio E, Cafagna D, Denora N, Agrimi G, Cassano T, Gaetani S, Cuomo V, Trapani G. Characterization and evaluation of chitosan nanoparticles for dopamine brain delivery. Int. J. Pharm. 2011, 419, 296–307.
6. Ding RL, Xie F, Hu Y, Fu SZ, Wu JB, Fan J, He WF, He Y, Yang LL, Lin S, Wen QL. Preparation of endostatin-loaded chitosan nanoparticles and evaluation of the antitumor effect of such nanoparticles on the Lewis lung cancer model. Drug Delivery. 2017; 24(1): 300-308.
7. Shaima C, Moorthi P V, Kutty S N. In vitro anticancer activity of 5’ Fluorouracil coated chitosan nanoparticle. International Journal of Current Pharmaceutical Research. 2016; 8(4): 6-8.
8. Ahmed TA, Aljaeid BM. Preparation, characterization and potential application of chitosan, chitosan derivatives and chitosan metal nanoparticles in pharmaceutical drug delivery. Drug Design, Development and Therapy. 2016; : 483-507.
9. Tan Q, Liu W, Guo C, Zhai G. Preparation and evaluation of quercetin loaded lecithin-chitosan nanoparticles for topical delivery. Int J Nanomedicine. 2011; 6: 1621-30.
10. Vijayakumar S, Ganesan S. In-vitro cytotoxicity assay on gold nanoparticles with different stabilizing agents. Journal of Nanomaterials. 2012; 2: 1-9.