The aim of the study is to develop a validated, rapid, simple and low-cost method for estimating ofloxacin and benzyl alcohol in a combined dosage. Materials and methods: Materials which were used ofloxacin pure substance and benzyl alcohol pure substance which were determined by UV spectrophotometer using ethanol 95% as a solvent and a blank. Results and discussion: Ofloxacin shows the absorption maxima at 300.0 ± 2.0 nm in ethanol 95% with an apparent concentration absorptivity of (30 to 90) µg/ml and benzyl alcohol shows the absorption maxima at 312.0 ± 2.0 nm in ethanol 95% with an apparent concentration absorptivity of (60 to 200) µg/ml, it was found that in the selected range of application of the method there is a directly proportional relationship between the concentration of ofloxacin and benzyl alcohol respectively, in the measured samples and the analytical signal, linear dependence is characterized by high correlation coefficients (R> 0.999)for both of drugs, which is considered acceptable for establishing strict linearity. Conclusion: The method has been verified as it has been proven simple, fast, accurate and low-cost method and does not require any expensive equipment for the analysis of Ofloxacin and benzyl alcohol separately and in a pharmaceutical mixture.
Cite this article:
Ghadeer Balloul, Nikolay N. Boyko, Elena T. Zhilyakova, Solaiman Doba. Development and Validation of an analytical method for the determination of Ofloxacin and Benzyl alcohol in a Pharmaceutical mixture. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(4):2133-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00378
Ghadeer Balloul, Nikolay N. Boyko, Elena T. Zhilyakova, Solaiman Doba. Development and Validation of an analytical method for the determination of Ofloxacin and Benzyl alcohol in a Pharmaceutical mixture. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(4):2133-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00378 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-4-54
1. Meherali S, Campbell A, Hartling L, Scott S. Understanding Parents' Experiences and Information Needs on Pediatric Acute Otitis Media: A Qualitative Study. J Patient Exp. 2019 Mar;6(1):53-61. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Reference list].
2. Choffor-Nchinda E, Atanga LC, Nansseu JR, Djomou F. Effectiveness of amoxicillin alone in the treatment of uncomplicated acute otitis media: a systematic review protocol. BMJ Open. 2018;8(6): e021133. Published 2018 Jun 8. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2017-021133
3. Monasta L, Ronfani L, Marchetti F, Montico M, Vecchi Brumatti L, Bavcar A, et al. (2012) Burden of Disease Caused by Otitis Media: Systematic Review and Global Estimates. PLoS ONE 7(4): e36226. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0036226.
4. Monasta L, Ronfani L, Marchetti F, et al. Burden of disease caused by otitis media: systematic review and global estimates. PLoS One 2012; 7: e36226.
5. Helen M Massa, Allan W Cripps and Deborah Lehmann. Otitis media: viruses, bacteria, biofilms and vaccines. The Medical journal of Australia, November 2009; Volume 191 Number 9, DOI: 10.5694/j.1326-5377. 2009.tb02926.x: 1-7.
6. Dwyer, D.J., Kohanski, M. A., Hayete, B., and Collins, J. J. (2007). Gyrase inhibitors induce an oxidative damage cellular death pathway in Escherichia coli. Mol. Syst. Biol. 3:91. doi: 10.1038/msb4100135.
7. Kohanski, M. A., DePristo, M. A., and Collins, J. J. (2010). Sublethal antibiotic treatment leads to multidrug resistance via radical-induced mutagenesis. Mol. Cell 37, 311–320. doi: 10.1016/j.molcel.2010.01.003.
8. E. Koulich; P. Roland; K. Pawlowski. Comparison of systemic and otic administration of ofloxacin. The Laryngoscope, 2010 Oct; ISSN: 1531-4995: 2
9. S. Adwan; R. Abu-Dahab; A. Al-Bakri; A. Sallam. Glyceryl monooleate-based otic delivery system of ofloxacin: release profile and bactericidal activity. Pharmaceutical development and technology, 2014 Jan; ISSN: 1097-9867: 1-6.
10. Raymond C Rowe; Paul J Sheskey; Marian E Quinn: Handbook-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-6th-edition,2009; 64-66.
11. Gauncar F.L., Kudchadkar S. S. Development and validation of UV spectrophotometric method for determination of ofloxacin and ornidazole in combined dosage form using simultaneous equation method. World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 2017; 6(8):1026-1039.
12. HW Dibbern; RM. Muller; E Wirbitzki: UV and IR Spectra: Pharmaceutical Substances (UV and IR) and Pharmaceutical and Cosmetic Excipients (IR), 2002; 256.
13. Shabir, Ghulam. (2007). Method Development and Validation of Preservatives Determination (Benzyl Alcohol, Ethylene Glycol Monophenyl Ether, Methyl Hydroxybenzoate, Ethyl Hydroxybenzoate, Propyl Hydroxybenzoate, and Butyl Hydroxybenzoate) using HPLC. Journal of Liquid Chromatography and Related Technologies - J Liq Chromatogr Relat Techno. 30. 1951-1962. 10.1080/10826070701386553.
14. British Pharmacopoeia 2009; Volume I and II; 4317-4320.
15. Nikalje, A.P.G. and Gadikar, R., 2018. A simple liquid chromatographic method for simultaneous determination of aceclofenac, methyl salicylate, and benzyl alcohol in pharmaceuticals. Journal of Pharmacy Research, 12(3), p.283; page: 1-5.
16. Validation of Analytical Procedure: Text and Methodology, ICH Harmonized Tripartite Guideline, Q2 (R1), 2005; 1-13.
17. Altman DG, Gore SM, Gardner MJ, Pocock SJ. Statistical guidelines for contributors to medical journals. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed). 1983;286(6376):1489–1493. doi:10.1136/bmj.286.6376.1489
18. Natori, Jéssica and Tótoli, Eliane and Salgado, Herida. (2016). Development and Validation of a Green Analytical Method for the Determination of Norfloxacin in Raw Material by FTIR Spectrophotometry. Journal of AOAC International. 99. 1533-1536. 10.5740/jaoacint.16-0177.
19. Agência Nacional De Vigilância Sanitária. Anvisa. R E, nº 899 de 29 de maio de 2003. Guia para validação de métodos analíticos e bioanalíticos. Diário Oficial da União Poder Executivo, Brasilia, 02 jun. 2003. Available at: <http://portal.anvisa.gov.br>. Acessed on: 05 Sept. 2013. (21)
20. Ferraz, Rafaela Siqueira et al. Validation of a UV-spectrophotometric analytical method for determination of LPSF/AC04 from inclusion complex and liposomes. Braz. J. Pharm. Sci. [online]. 2015, vol.51, n.1 [cited 2020-03-28], pp.183-191.
21. S.A. Ozkan, J.M. Kauffmann, P. Zuman Electroanalysis in Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences: Voltammetry, Amperometry, Biosensors, Applications Springer, New York (2015).
22. Russian Pharmacopoeia edition XIV, volume 1, Statistical processing of the results of chemical experiment, OFS.1.1.0013.15: 1-30.
23. ULU, S. T.; ELMALI, F. T. Spectrophotometric method for the determination, validation, spectroscopic and thermal analysis of diphenhydramine in pharmaceutical preparation. Spectrochim. Acta, v.77, p.324-329, 2010.