Pramod V. Burakale, Manish R. Bhise, Dinesh M. Sakarkar, Suresh G. Sudke
Pramod V. Burakale1, Manish R. Bhise1, Dinesh M. Sakarkar1, Suresh G. Sudke2*
1Dr. Rajendra Gode College of Pharmacy, Malkapur, Buldana (MS), India 443101.
2GES’s Satara College of Pharmacy, Degaon, Satara (MS), India 415 004.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2021
The objective of present investigation was to synthesize and assess sub-acute toxicity of novel rosin esters using Swiss Albino mice. Assessment of the safety and toxicity of rosin esters is very important step before its use in pharmaceuticals. The solutions of rosin esters were prepared in corn oil to perform acute (28d) oral toxicity study in Swiss Albino mice as animal model of both sexes. The oral administration of rosin esters at the dose of 25 mg/kg of body weight and constant volume was administered to the mice. One group of mice was kept as a control group. Toxicity of the rosin esters was assessed by using various tests like behavioral changes, clinical signs, mortality and morbidity, biochemical tests, haematological tests, relative organ weights and histopathology tests. The body weights and food-water consumption by mice were recorded on weekly basis. The study results revealed that, there were no signs and incidences of toxicity or mortality in mice during the study period. No significant difference between treated (rosin ester administered) and control group of mice were recorded in the observations of different tests, body weights and food-water consumption. The histopathological examination of organs from the mice treated with rosin esters for 28d does not show any signs of toxic effects when compared with the control group. Therefore, the present investigation confirmed the non-toxic nature of novel rosin ester at 25mg/kg daily dose of body weight after oral administration in both the sexes.
Cite this article:
Pramod V. Burakale, Manish R. Bhise, Dinesh M. Sakarkar, Suresh G. Sudke. Synthesis and Assessment of Sub-acute Toxicity of Novel Rosin Esters of Polyethylene Glycol 200 in Swiss Albino Mice. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(4):1859-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00329
Pramod V. Burakale, Manish R. Bhise, Dinesh M. Sakarkar, Suresh G. Sudke. Synthesis and Assessment of Sub-acute Toxicity of Novel Rosin Esters of Polyethylene Glycol 200 in Swiss Albino Mice. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(4):1859-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00329 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-4-5
1. Wilbon PA, et al. Progress in renewable polymers from natural terpenes, terpenoids, and rosin. Macromolecular Rapid Communication. 2013; 34(1):8–37.
2. Ladero M, et al. Kinetic modelling of the esterification of rosin and glycerol: Application to industrial operation. Chemical Engineering Journal. 2011; 169 (1–3):319–328.
3. Nande VS, et al. Investigation of PEGylated derivatives of rosin as sustained release film formers. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech, 2008;9(1):105–111.
4. Nande VS, et al. Synthesis and characterization of PEGylated derivatives of rosin for sustained drug delivery. Reactive and Functional Polymers. 2006; 66 (11): 1373–1383.
5. Hwang JS. Alkali metal hydroxide in polyol flux, water soluble synthetic wax. US Patent 4460414. 1984.
6. Jacobs W. Water soluble activator is mixture of alkylamine acid salt, lower alkanol amine, organic acid, (poly) ethylene glycols. US Patent 4872928. 1989.
7. Sheorey DS and Dorle AK. Effect of solvents on the characteristics of rosin walled microcapsules prepared by a solvent evaporation technique. Journal of Microencapsulation. 1991; 8(1): 71–78.
8. Sheorey DS and Dorle AK. Release kinetics of drugs from rosin-glycerol ester microcapsules prepared by solvent evaporation technique. Journal of Microencapsulation. 1991; 8(2): 243–246.
9. Sheorey DS and Dorle AK. Preparation and study of release kinetics of rosin pentaerythritol ester microcapsules. Journal of Microencapsulation, 1994; 11(1): 11–17.
10. Pathak YV and Dorle AK. Study of rosin glycerol esters as anhydrous binding agents in tablet formulations. Indian Journal Pharmaceutical Sciences. 1986: 48: 16–19.
11. Ramani CC, et al. Study of maleoabietic acid as a matrix forming material. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Advances. 1996a; 1:344–352.
12. Ramani CC, et al. Study of diabetic acid as matrix forming material. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 1996b; 137(1): 11–19.
13. Sahu NH, et al. Biodegradation studies of rosin-glycerol ester derivatives. Journal of Bioactive and Compatible Polymer. 1999; 14(4):344–360.
14. Pathak YV, et al. Study of rosin and rosin esters as a coating material. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 1985; 24 (1–2): 351–356.
15. Pathak YV and Dorle AK, Study of rosin derivatives as coating materials. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 1987; 5(1):63–68.
16. Pathak YV and Dorle AK. Study of rosin-glycerol esters as microencapsulate coating material. Journal of Microencapsulation. 1985; 2 (2): 137–140.
17. Burakale P, et al. Synthesis and characterization of rosin ester derivatives of polyethylene glycol 200. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2020; 12(3):727–735.
18. Kadarwati S, et al. Preparation, characterization, and catalytic activity test of Ni-Mo/natural zeolite on pyridine hydrodenitrogenation. Indonesian Journal of Chemistry. 2010; 10 (3): 327–333.
19. Kanlaya P, et al. Synthesis and characterization of water soluble rosin-polyethylene glycol 1500 derivative. International Journal of Chemical Engineering and Applications. 2016; 7(4):277–281.
20. Urooj A, et al. Acute toxicity study of Annona reticulata leaves extract in Swiss Albino mice. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Investigation. 2019; 9(2):71–75.
21. Wasim R, et al. Evaluation of Antimutagenocity Effect of Lawsonia inermis (henna) Leaf Extract in Swiss albino Mice. Research Journal Pharmacy and Technology. 2008; 1(3): 278–279.
22. D. Benito Johnson, Akhil Raj, R. Venkatanarayan. Antidiabetic Activity and Toxicity Studies of Ethanolic Extract of Polialthia longifolia Roots. Research Journal Pharmacy and Technology. 2017; 10(5): 1305–1312.
23. Chemicals OG for the test of OECD 420. Acute oral toxicity, acute toxic class method. OECD Guideline Test Chemicals 2001; (December):1–14.
24. Dubey SK, Batra A. Acute and sub-acute toxicity studies on ethanolic fraction of Thuja occidentalis Linn. Research Journal Pharmacy and Technology. 2008; 1(3): 245‒248.
25. Dixit S, Sikarwar AK. Modeling of Acute Toxicity of Phenol Derivatives using Computational Methods. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2017; 10(5): 626‒628.
26. Shah M, Pathak K. Solid Lipid Nanoparticles of Simvastatin: Pharmacokinetic and Biodistribution Studies on Swiss albino mice. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2012; 4(6): 336‒342.
27. Prajapati PK, et al. Safety and toxicity profile of some metallic preparations of Ayurveda. Ancient Sciences Life. 2006; 25(3–4):57–63.
28. Mir AH, et al. An acute oral toxicity study of methanolic extract from Tridex procumbens in Sprague Dawley’s rats as per OECD guidelines 423. Asian Journal of Plant Science. 2013; 3 (1): 16–20. (Body weights)
29. Yadav MK, et al. Comparative acute and sub-acute toxicity study of hydro-alcoholic extracts of Centella asiatica and Evolvulus alsinoides in Swiss Albino mice. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2019; 10(10): 4694–4699.
30. Sengottuvelu S, et al. Toxicological Evaluation of a Novel Anti-Ulcer Herbal Formulation. Research Journal Pharmacy and Technology. 2008; 1(3): 207‒210.
31. Dev Nath Singh G. Physicochemical and Acute Toxicity Study of Gunja (Abrus precatorius) Pericarp. Research Journal Pharmacy and Technology. 2018; 11(5):1935‒1939.
32. Ferdous A. Jabir, Sundus K. Hamzah. Evaluation of Anti-Depressant Activity of Petroleum Ether Extract of Rosa centifolia in Swiss Albino Mice. Research Journal Pharmacy and Technology. 2018; 11(5):2000‒2005.
33. Andugula K, et al. Acute toxicity study of Cissus quadrangularis in Swiss Albino mice. Panacea Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences 2018:7(1); 748–756.
34. Reddy YRR, et al. Acute and sub-acute toxicity of Moringa oleifera stem bark extract in Swiss Albino mice. International Journal of Life Sciences Biotechnology and Pharma Research. 2013; 2(4): 73‒82.
35. Jairaman C, et al. HPLC characterization, acute and sub-acute toxicity evaluation of bark extract of Rhizophora mucronata in Swiss Albino mice. Heliyon 2020; 6(1):1‒13.
36. Vijayabaskaran M, et al. Anti-tumor and anti-oxidant activities of Pseudarthria viscida against Dalton's ascites lymphoma bearing Swiss albino mice. Research Journal Pharmacy and Technology. 2008; 1(3): 225‒229.
37. Darwin CR, et al. Acute and sub-acute toxicological evaluation of aqueous and ethanol fractions of Annona squamosa root a traditional medicinal herb. Research Journal Pharmacy and Technology. 2011; 4(9): 1475‒1479.
38. Roy S, et al. Acute and sub-acute toxicity studies on the effect of Senna alata in Swiss Albino mice. Cogent Biology. 2016; 2(1): 1–12.
39. Abiola O and Said NM. Haematological profile shows that inbred Sprague Dawley rats have exceptional promise for use in biomedical and pharmacological studies. Asian Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2014; 4(37):33–37.
40. Satapathy A, Rao MV. Protective effect of Curcumin on 2, 4- Dichlorophenoxy acetic acid exerted Hepatotoxicity in Mice. Research Journal Pharmacy and Technology. 2018; 11(2):637‒642.
41. Al-Afifi NA, et al. Acute and sub-acute oral toxicity of Dracaena cinnabari resin methanol extract in rats. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2018; 18(50): 1–14.
42. Xu J, et al. Acute and subacute toxicity study of 1, 8-cineole in mice. International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Pathology. 2014; 7(4): 1495–1501.
43. Johnson DB, et al. Acute and Subacute Toxicity study of Milnacipran Hydrochloride in Wistar rats by Oral Route. Research J. Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2013; 5(1): 51-58.
44. Selvan AT, et al. Evaluation of Acute and Subacute Toxicity Studies of Polyherbal Extract on Rodents. Research .Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2014; 6(2): 94-100.
45. Greaves P. Histopathology of preclinical toxicity studies: interpretation and relevance in drug safety evaluation. Academic Press, London. 2012.