Vivek Srivastava, Babita Viswakarma, Neha Mathur, Santosh Kumar Verma
Vivek Srivastava1,2*, Babita Viswakarma1, Neha Mathur1, Santosh Kumar Verma2
1Amity Institute of Pharmacy, Amity University, Lucknow.
2Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Motherhood University, Roorkee.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2021
Litchi chinensis has been used to treat gastric ulcers in ayurvedic medicine but its efficacy was not validated yet. The dried leaves of Litchi chinensis were powdered and subjected to extraction with 90% ethanol using soxhlet extraction method. The extract was subjected to preliminary phytochemical analysis and was estimated for antiulcer activity against Ethanol induced ulcer model and cold stress-induced ulcer. The activity was assessed in Wistar rats at a dose of 200mg/kg orally and compared with ranitidine (45mg/kg). The extract showed significant lower the ulcer index in ethanol-induced ulcers as well as showed a significant reduction in cold stress-induced ulcers. Besides, it also shows concomitant attenuation of the level of antioxidant enzyme catalase and SOD. These findings indicate the ethanolic extract of Litchi chinensis exhibits convincing antiulcer action.
Cite this article:
Vivek Srivastava, Babita Viswakarma, Neha Mathur, Santosh Kumar Verma. Gastroprotective and Antioxidant mechanism of Litchi chinensis Leaf extract. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2021; 14(3):1705-1710. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00303.6
1. Malfertheiner P, Chan FK, and McColl KE. Peptic ulcer disease. The Lancet. 2009; 374(9699): 1449–1461.
2. Calam J and Baron JH. ABC of the upper gastrointestinal tract: pathophysiology of duodenal and gastric ulcer and gastric cancer. British Medical Journal. 2001; 323(7319): 980–982.
3. Gasparetto M, Pescarin M and Guariso G. Helicobacter pylori eradication therapy: current availabilities. ISRN Gastroenterology. 2012; Article ID 186734: 8 pages.
4. Prabha T, Dorababu M, Goel S, Agrawal PK and Goel RK. Effect of methanolic extract of Pongamia pinnata Linn seed on gastro-duodenal ulceration and mucosal offensive and defensive factors in rats. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology. 2009; 47(8): 649–659.
5. Bulger M and Helton W. Nutrient antioxidant in gastro intestinal disease. Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 1998;27:403-410.
6. Johannes GK, Arnoud HM and Ernst JK. Pathogenesis of Helicobacter pylori infection. Clinical Microbiology Reviews. 2006;19(3):449-490.
7. Alqasoumi S, Al-Sohaibani M, AlHowiriny T, AlYahya M and Rafatullah S. Rocket “Eruca sativa”: a salad herb with potential gastric anti- ulcer activity. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2009;15(16): 1958–1965.
8. Mehta I. Litchi-the queen of fruits. IOSR Journal of Humanities and Social Science. 2017;22(8): 21-25.
9. Yang DJ, Chang YY, Hsu CL, Liu CW, Wang Y and Chen YC. Protective effect of a litchi (Litchi chinensis Sonn.)-flower-water-extract on cardiovascular health in a high-fat/cholesterol-dietary hamster. Food Chemistry. 2010; 119(4):1457-64.
10. Pan X, Hussain FN, Iqbal J, Feuerman MH and Hussain MM. Inhibiting proteasomal degradation of microsomal triglyceride transfer protein prevents CCl4-induced steatosis. J Biol Chem. 2007; 282:17078-17089.
11. Zhang D, Quantick PC, Grigor JM. Changes in phenolic compounds in Litchi (Litchi chinensis Sonn.) fruit during postharvest storage. Postharvest Biology and Technology. 2000; 19(2):165-72.
12. Kokate CK, Purohit AP and Gokhle SB. Pharmacognosy. Nirali Prakashan, Pune. 2015; 51th ed: 7.16-7.18.
13. Pandey A and Tripathi S. Concept of standardization, extraction and pre phytochemical screening strategies for herbal drug. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2014; 2(5):115-119.
14. Azmir J, Zaidul ISM, Rahman MM, Shrif KM, Mohamed A and Sahena F. Techniques for extraction of bioactive compounds from plant materials: A review. Journal of Food Engineering. 2013; 117(4): 426-36.
15. Ahuja S and Alsante KM. Handbook of isolation and characterization of impurities in Pharmaceuticals. Academic Press. 2003; 5: 214-220.
16. Khandelwal KR. Practical Pharmacognosy, Technique and Experiments. Nirali Prakashan. 2002; Ninth Edition: 23.10-23.11 and 25.1-25.6.
17. Pawar SG and Kamble VM. Diversity of Bioactive Components of Achyranthes aspera Linn leaves. Asian Journal of Multidisciplinary Studies. 2016; 4(3):49-52.
18. Tiwari P, Kumar B, Kaur M, Kaur G and Kaur H. Phytochemical screening and extraction: A review. International Pharmaceutica Sciencia. 2011; 1(1): 98-106.
19. Khare S, Asad M, Dhamanigi SS and Prasad VS. Antiulcer activity of cod liver oil in rats. Indian Journal of Pharmacology. 2008; 40(5):209- 214.
20. Ibrahim AN. Attenuation of Cold Restraint Stress-Induced Gastric Lesions by Sildenafil in Rats. The Medical Journal of Cairo University. 2013; 81(2):229-233.
21. Kumar K, Mruthunjaya K, Kumar S and Mythreyi R. Anti-ulcer activity of ethanol extract of the stem bark of Careyaarborea Roxb. International Current Pharmaceutical Journal. 2013; 2(3): 78-82.
22. Kulkarni, K. Hand Book of Experimental Pharmacology. Vallabh Prakashan, New Delhi. 1999; 3rd edition: 148-150.
23. Brzozowski T, Konturek PC, Konturek SJ, Kwiecien S, Pajdo R, Brzozowska I and Hahn EG. Involvement of endogenous cholecystokinin and somatostatin in gastroprotection induced by intraduodenal fat. Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology. 1998; 27(1): S125-137.
24. Hung HC and Lee EH. MPTP produces differential oxidative stress and antioxidative responses in the nigrostriatal and mesolimbic dopaminergic pathways. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. 1998; 24(1):76-84.
25. Buege JA and Aust SD. Microsomal lipid peroxidation. In Methods in Enzymology. 1978; 52(1): 302-310.
26. Rukkumani R, Aruna K, Varma PS, Rajasekaran KN and Menon VP. Comparative effects of curcumin and an analog of curcumin on alcohol and PUFA induced oxidative stress. J. Pharm. Pharm. Sci. 2004; 7(2):274-83.
27. Aebi Hugo. Catalase in vitro. Methods Enzymol .1984; 105: 121-126.
28. Bandyopadhyay U and Das D. Role of reactive oxygen species in mercaptomethylimidazole induced gastric acid secretion and secretion and stress induced gastric ulceration. Current Science. 1999; 76(1):55-63.
29. Qui BS, Mei QB, Liu L and Wong KM. Effects of nitric oxide on gastric ulceration induced by nicotine and cold-restraint stress. World J Gastroenterol. 2004; 10(4):594-597.
30. Jude EO and Paul A. Antiulcer and Anticonvulsant Activity of Croton Zambesicus. J Pharm Sci. 2009; 22:3:84–90.
31. Dwivedi V, Chander BS and Yadav NH. Evaluation of anti-ulcer activity of Clitorea ternatea Leaves (Linn) extract in Wistar rats. Indian Journal of Research in Pharmacy and Biotechnology. 2014; 3:1225–29.
32. Deshpande SS, Shah GB and Parmar NS. Antiulcer activity of Tephrosia purpurea in rats. Indian Journal of Pharmacology. 2003;35: 168–72.
33. Alvarez-Suarez JM, Dekanski D and Ristić S. Strawberry polyphenols attenuate ethanol- induced gastric lesions in rats by activation of antioxidant enzymes and attenuation of MDA increase. PLoS One. 2011; 6(10): e25878.