Mejo Joseph, S. Alaxander
Mr. Mejo Joseph1*, Dr. S. Alaxander2
1Asst Prof. Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Nehru College of Pharmacy, Kerala, India. 680588.
2Associate Prof. Department of Pharmacy, Vinayaka Mission College of Pharmacy, Tamilnadu, India. 636008.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2021
Terminalia bellirica fruits were extracted successively with solvents such as chloroform, ethyl acetate, methanol and water first on lab scale to find out the yield. The yield was found to be chloroform extract- 0.4%, ethyl acetate extract - 4%, methanolic extract- 30%, water extract - 23%. The extracts were separately dissolved in methanol and then spotted on the silica gel G 254 plates along with ß-sitosterol and gallic acid with the help of capillary tubes. TLC plates were developed and scanned at 254 and 366nm. The Anisaldehyde Sulphuric acid reagent (ANS) was sprayed and the chromatogram was observed for separation. The chloroform extract showed different Rf values than the standard compounds. Ethyl acetate extract showed the presence of both gallic acid and ß-sitosterol. Methanolic and aqueous extract shown the presence of gallic acid. Depending upon the TLC pattern and yield ethyl acetate and methanolic extraction was carried out in large scale. Both methanolic and ethyl acetate extracts were subjected for different columns and eluted with solvents in increasing polarity (pet ether, ethyl acetate methanol) and total seven compounds were isolated by column chromatography.
Cite this article:
Mejo Joseph, S. Alaxander. Isolation and Characterization of Chemical Constituents from the Fruits of Terminalia bellirica towards Achieving their Chemical Standardization. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2021; 14(3):1680-1684. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00298.5
1. Gowrishankar NL, Adisha S, Divya KC. Antibiotic resistance-reasons and the most common resistant pathogens - A review. Res J Pharm Technol [Internet]. 2017 [cited 2019 Jul 7]; 10(6): 1886.
2. Kalyani M. Prevalence of extended spectrum ß-Lactamase and Carbapenemase producing isolates of Klebsiella SPP in a tertiary care hospital. Res J Pharm Technol [Internet]. 2018 [cited 2019 Jul 7]; 11(9): 3777.
3. Spectrum of Antimicrobial Susceptibility of E. coli and Staphylococcus aureus Isolates from Clinical Samples. Res J Pharm Technol [Internet]. 2015 [cited 2019 Jul 7]; 8(10): 1399.
4. Vijayaraghavan. Prevalence and Antibiogram of Extended Spectrum β-Lactamase Producing Klebsiella pneumoniae and Proteus mirabilis in UTI. Res J Pharm Technol [Internet]. 2015 [cited 2019 Jul 7]; 8(11): 1465.
5. Talukdar NC. Production of potent antimicrobial agent by actinomycete, Streptomyces sannanensis strain SU118 isolated from phoomdi in Loktak Lake of Manipur, India. BMC Microbiol [Internet]. 2014;14(1): 278.
6. Vanitha MC. Ecological Niche Analysis of Streptomyces sp. Amet_ytc 21 nov. Strain Isolated from Marine Intertidal Zones of Bay of Bengal and Buckingham Canal. Res J Pharm Technol [Internet]. 2018 [cited 2019 Jul 7]; 11(8): 3641.
7. Subiksa IGM. Lahan Gambut: Potensi Untuk Pertanian Dan Aspek Lingkungan [Internet]. Balai Penelitian Tanah, Badan Penelitian dan Pengembangan Pertanian. 2008. 41 p.
8. Dhamodharan S, Nayak BK. Antibiotic Resistance Pattern Exhibited by Esbl (Extended Spectrum β-Lactamases) in Multidrug Resistant Strains, Escherichia coli. Res J Pharm Technol [Internet]. 2017 [cited 2019 Jul 7];10(11): 3705.
9. Rosebrough, N.J. Farr, A. L. Randall, R. J. Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem. 1951, 193: 265-75.
10. Resveratrol, A Phytoalexin Enhances Hepatic Antioxidant Defense in 1, 2-dimethylhydrazine-induced Colon Carcinogenesis. Int J Pharmacol. 2006, 2: 335-40.
11. Ellman, G.L. Tissue sulfhydryl groups. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1959, 82: 70-77.
12. Cesaris, M. Caillenz, H. Cadet, F. Pabion, M. In vivo analysis of HLA-DQ gene expression in heterozygous cell lines, Immunogentics 50 (1999) 309 - 318.
13. Munhoz, C.D. García-Bueno, B.J.L. Madrigal, L.B. Lepsch, C. Scavone, J.C. Stress-induced neuroinflammation: mechanisms and new pharmacological Targets, Braz. J. Med. Biol. Res. 41:12 (2008) 1037 – 1046.
14. Hurtado, O. Moro, M.A. Lizasoain, I. Lorenzo, P. Castrillo, A. Boscá, L. Leza, J.C. The increase in TNF-alpha levels is implicated in NF-kappaB activation and inducible nitric oxide synthase expression in brain cortex after immobilization stress, Neuropsychopharmacology 26:2 (2002) 155 - 163.