Rosuvastatin is a HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor used to prevent cardiovascular diseases. Rosuvastatin acts by lowering cholesterol production in the body which blocks the blood flow to heart, brain and other parts of the body. A new validated reverse phase ultrafast liquid chromatographic method has been developed for the estimation of Rosuvastatin in pharmaceutical formulations (Tablets). Mobile phase consisting of a mixture of sodium acetate: acetonitrile (28: 72, v/v) with a flow rate 1.2 mL/min and UV detection at 254 nm was used for the assay of Rosuvastatin. Rosuvastatin was exposed to different stress conditions such as acidic, alkaline, oxidation and thermal degradation. Linearity was observed over the concentration range 0.5-200 µg/mL with linear regression equation y = 32548x - 16862 (r2 = 0.9999). The LOQ was found to be 0.04291 µg/mL and the LOD was found to be 0.01502 µg/mL. The present method can be applied for the assay of pharmaceutical formulations, pharmacokinetics study and bio analytical estimations.
Cite this article:
Paladugu Venkata Naveen, Seru Ganapaty. Development and validation of a new stability indicating ultra-fast liquid chromatographic (RP-UFLC) method for the quantification of Rosuvastatin. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2021; 14(3):1673-1679. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00297.3
Paladugu Venkata Naveen, Seru Ganapaty. Development and validation of a new stability indicating ultra-fast liquid chromatographic (RP-UFLC) method for the quantification of Rosuvastatin. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2021; 14(3):1673-1679. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00297.3 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-3-86
1. Cannon CP, Braunwald E, McCabe CH, Rader DJ, Rouleau JL, Belder R, Joyal SV, Hill KA, Pfeffer MA, Skene AM: Intensive versus moderate lipid lowering with statins after acute coronary syndromes. N Engl Journal Med. 2004; 350(15): 1495-1504.
2. Mihaylova B, Emberson J, Blackwell L, Keech A, Simes J, Barnes EH, Voysey M, Gray A, Collins R, Baigent C: The effects of lowering LDL cholesterol with statin therapy in people at low risk of vascular disease: meta-analysis of individual data from 27 randomised trials. Lancet. 2012; 380(9841): 581-590.
3. Jones SP, Gibson MF, Rimmer DM 3rd, Gibson TM, Sharp BR, Lefer DJ: Direct vascular and cardioprotective effects of Rosuvastatin, a new HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor. Journal Am Coll Cardiol. 2002; 40(6): 1172-1178.
4. Sane RT, Kamat SS, Menon SN, Inamdar SR, Mote MR. Determination of Rosuvastatin calcium in its bulk drug and pharmaceutical preparations by high performance thin layer chromatography. Journal Planar Chromatogr Modern TLC 2005; 18: 194-198.
5. Uma Devi S, Pushpa Latha E, Nagendra Kumar Guptha CV, Ramalingam P. Development and validation of HPTLC method for estimation of Rosuvastatin calcium in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage forms. International Journal Pharm and Bio Sci 2011; 2: 134-140.
6. Suslu I, Celebier M, Altinoz S. Determination of Rosuvastatin in pharmaceutical formulations by capillary zone electrophoresis. Chromatographia 2007; 66: 65-72.
7. Alka G, Mishra P, Shah K. Simple UV spectrometric determination of Rosuvastatin calcium in pure from and in pharmaceutical formulation. E Journal Chem 2009; 6: 89-92.
8. Prajapati PB, Bodiwala KB, Marolia BP, Rathod IS, Shah SA. Development and validation of extractive spectrophotometric method for determination of Rosuvastatin calcium in pharmaceutical dosage forms. Journal Pharm Res 2010; 3: 2036-2038.
9. Amr MB, Nadia MM, Abd El-Aziz B, Abd El-Aleem, Nesrine TL. Stability indicating spectrophotometric methods for determination of Rosuvastatin in the presence of its acid degradation products by derivative spectrophotometric techniques. Journal Adv Pharm Res 2011; 2: 44-55.
10. Vishal VR, Pramila M, Monika V. Characterization and method development for estimation and validation of Rosuvastatin calcium by UV visible spectrophotometry. International Journal Theor App Sci 2009; 1: 48-53.
11. Singh RM, Ansari TA, Jamil S, Kumar Y, Mathur SC, Singh GN. Spectrophotometric estimation of Rosuvastatin calcium in tablet formulation. Indian Drugs 2005; 42: 244-245.
12. Uyar B, Celebier M, Altinoz S. Spectrophotometric determination of Rosuvastatin calcium in tablets. Pharmazie 2007; 62: 411-413.
13. Gupta A, Mishra P, Shah K. Simple UV spectrophotometric determination of Rosuvastatin calcium in pure form and in pharmaceutical formulations. E Journal Chem 2009; 6: 89-92.
14. Dujuan Z, Jing Z, Xiaoyan L, Chunmin W, Rui Z, Haojing S et al., Validated LC-MS/MS method for the determination of Rosuvastatin in human plasma: Application to a bioequivalence study in Chinese volunteers. Pharmacol and Pharmacy 2011; 2: 341-346.
15. Ke Lan, Xuehua J, Yunxia Li, Ling W, Jing Z, Qian J, Limin Y. Quantitative determination of Rosuvastatin in human plasma by ion pair liquid–liquid extraction using liquid chromatography with electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry. Journal Pharm Biomed Anal 2007; 44: 540-546.
16. Hull CK, Penman AD, Smith CK, Martin PD, Quantification of Rosuvastatin in human plasma by automated solid phase extraction using tandem mass spectrometric detection. Journal Chromatogr B 2002; 772: 219-228.
17. Gao J, Zhong D, Duan X, Chen X. Liquid chromatography/negative ion electrospray tandem mass spectrometry method for the quantification of Rosuvastatin in human plasma: Application to a pharmacokinetic study. Journal Chromatogr B 2007; 856: 35-40.
18. Xu DH, Ruan ZR, Zhou Q, Yuan H, Jiang B. Quantitative determination of Rosuvastatin in human plasma by liquid chromatography with electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry. Rapid Commun Mass Spectro 2006; 20: 2369-2375.
19. Hull CK, Paul DM, Michael JW, Elizabeth T. Quantification of the N-desmethyl metabolite of Rosuvastatin in human plasma by automated SPE followed by HPLC with tandem MS detection. Journal Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 2004; 35: 609-614.
20. Oudhoff KA, Sangster T, Thomas E, Wilson ID. Application of microbore HPLC in combination with tandem MS for the quantification of Rosuvastatin in human plasma. Journal Chromatogr B 2006; 832: 191-196.
21. Harshal KT, Mukesh CP. Development and validation of a stability-indicating RP-UPLC method for determination of Rosuvastatin and related substances in pharmaceutical dosage form. Scientia Pharmaceutica 2012; 80: 393-406.
22. Gosula VRR, Bobba VR, Syed WH, Haum DG, Poonam K. Development and validation of a stability-indicating UPLC method for Rosuvastatin and its related impurities in pharmaceutical dosage forms. Quim Nova 2011; 34: 250-255.
23. Kumar TR, Shitut NR, Kumar PK, Vinu MCA, Pavan Kumar VV, Ramesh M et al., Determination of Rosuvastatin in rat plasma by HPLC: validation and its application to pharmacokinetic studies; Biomed Chromatogr 2006; 20: 881-887.
24. Kaila HO, Ambasana MA, Thakkar RS, Saravaia HT, Shah AK. A new improved RP-HPLC method for assay of Rosuvastatin calcium in tablets. Ind Journal Pharm Sci 2010;
25. Mehta TN, Patel AK, Kulkarni GM, Subbaiah G. Determination of Rosuvastatin in the presence of its degradation products by a stability indicating LC method. Journal AOAC International 2005; 88: 1142-1147.
26. Pandya CB, Channabasavaraj KP, Chudasama JD, Mani TT. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for determination of Rosuvastatin calcium in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. International Journal of Pharm Sci Rev Res 2010; 5: 82-86.
27. Sandhya D, Meriga KK, Teja GS, Kumar YM, Krishna JY, Ramesh D. A new validated RP-HPLC method for determination of Rosuvastatin calcium in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. Der Pharmacia Lettre 2011; 3: 350-356.
28. Jamil S, Ansari TA, Singh RM, Mathur SC, Nivoria CS, Pandey MK. et al., Determination of Rosuvastatin calcium in pharmaceutical dosage form by RP-HPLC method. Indian Drugs 2005; 42: 98-101.
29. Safwan A, Soulafa Omar. Validated high-performance liquid chromatographic method for the estimation of Rosuvastatin calcium in bulk and pharmaceutical formulations. International Journal of Biomed Sci 2011; 7: 283-288.
30. Hasumati AR, Rajput SJ, Dave JB, Patel CN. Development and validation of two chromatographic stability-indicating methods for determination of Rosuvastatin in pure from and pharmaceutical preparation. International Journal of Chem Tech Res 2009; 1: 677-689.
31. Geevarghese RB and Shirolkar SV. RP-HPLC method for estimation of Rosuvastatin calcium from bulk and transdermal dosage form. International Journal of Pharm Sci and Res 2018; 9(11): 4875-4879.
32. Sankar GD, Babu JP, Kumar AB, Krishna VM. RP- HPLC method for the estimation of Rosuvastatin calcium in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. Acta Ciencia Indica (Chemistry) 2007; 33: 1-4.
33. ICH, Validation of analytical procedures: Text and methodology Q2 (R1). International Conference on Harmonization. Geneva; 2005.
34. ICH, Stability Testing of New Drug Substances and Products Q1A (R2). International Conference on Harmonization. Geneva; 2003.