Sanjeshkumar G. Rathi, Sejal A. Zala, Maulikkumar D. Vaja, Sohansinh S. Vaghela
Sanjeshkumar G. Rathi*, Sejal A. Zala, Maulikkumar D. Vaja, Sohansinh S. Vaghela
Department of Pharmaceutics, Saraswati Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Dhanap, Gandhinagar-382355, Gujarat, India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2021
The main objective of the study was to improve aqueous solubility of poorly water soluble drug. Lurasidone Hydrochloride is a BCS class II drug and has low solubility. To enhance solubility Spherical Crystal Agglomerates of Lurasidone Hydrochloride were formulated using solvent exchange method. Different process parameter like good solvent, bad solvent, agitation time, speed and bad solvent volume were successfully optimized on the basis of various evolution parameters. Polymers were screened on basic of saturation solubility and it was found PVA and PEG4000 mixture giving higher saturation solubility and better morphology of spherical crystal. To optimized concentration of PVA and PEG 4000 factorial design was adopted. It was found increase amount of PVA and PEG 4000 enhance saturation solubility and percentage drug release. Formulation was s successfully characterized by FTIR, DSC, XRD and particle size. Saturation solubility shows increase in solubility of formulation as compare pure drug. In vitro dissolution study of formulation performed and observed improvement in dissolution. Tablet of formulation was prepared using direct compression method and evaluated by various parameters. Dissolution of prepared and marketed tablet was compared; it was found that improvement in dissolution profile. Prepared tablet showed stability after one month. Results showed improvement in solubility by Spherical Crystal Agglomerates approach.
Cite this article:
Sanjeshkumar G. Rathi, Sejal A. Zala, Maulikkumar D. Vaja, Sohansinh S. Vaghela. Formulation and Evaluation of Spherical Crystal Agglomerates of Lurasidone Hydrochloride. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2021; 14(3):1238-1246. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00220.1
1. Keshwani B., Jaimini M., Sharma D. Spherical crystallization: a revolution in the field of particle engineering. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2015; 7(4):19-25.
2. Patil PB., Gupta VR., Udupi RH., Srikanth K, Patil NB: “Spherical agglomeration-direct tableting technique”, IRJP, 2011; 2: 30-35.
3. Chatterjee A., Gupta MM., Srivastava B. “Spherical crystallization: A technique use to reform solubility and flow property of active”, Int J Pharm Investig, 2017; 7(1): 4–9.
4. Paradkar AR., Pawar AP., Jadhav NR. Crystallo-Co-Agglomeration: A Novel Particle Engineering Technique. Asian J Pharm. 2010; 4(1): 4-10
5. Zubin BK., Michael FD. Toward a Molecular Understanding of Crystal Agglomeration. Crystal Growth and Design 2005; 5(1): 3-16.
6. Tiwari S, Verma P, “Spherical crystallization –A novel drug delivery system”, IJPLS, 2011; 2(9): 1065-68.
7. Chourasia M.K, Jain N.K, Jain S, Jain N.K., and Jain S.K, “Preparation and Characterization of Agglomerates of Flurbiprofen by Spherical Crystallization Technique”, Indian J. Pharm. Sci., 2003; 287-90.
8. Kawashima Y., Imai M., Takeuchi H., Yamamoto H., Kamiya K., Hino T. Improved flowability and compactibility of spherically agglomerated crystals of ascorbic acid for direct tableting designed by spherical crystallization process. Powder Technol. 2003; 130: 283–89.
9. Deshkar SS, Borde GR, Kale RN, Waghmare BA, Thomas AB. Formulation of cilostazol spherical agglomerates by crystallo-co-agglomeration technique and optimization using design of experimentation. Int J Pharm Investig. 2017; 7(4): 164–173.
10. Fadke J., Desai J., Thakkar H. Formulation Development of Spherical Crystal Agglomerates of Itraconazole for Preparation of Directly Compressible Tablets with Enhanced Bioavailability. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech. 2015; 16(6): 1434–44
11. Szabó-Révész P, Göczõ H, Pintye-Hódi K, Kása P, Erõs I, Hasznos-Nezdei M, Farkas B, Development of spherical crystal agglomerates of an aspartic acid salt for direct tablet making, Powder Technology. 2001; 114: 1–3
12. Aslani A, Jahangiri H. Formulation, characterization and physicochemical evaluation of ranitidine effervescent tablets. Adv Pharm Bull. 2013; 3(2): 315–22.
13. Ravouru NN., Penjuri BS., Damineni S, Muni RL., Poreddy SR. Preparation and in vitro evaluation of ibuprofen spherical agglomerates. Turk J Pharm Sci. 2018; 15(1): 7-15
14. Dixit M., Kulkarni PK., Selvam RP, Kini AG., Shiva kumar HG. Preparation and Characterization of Spherical Agglomerates of Piroxicam by Neutralization Method. American Journal of Drug Discovery and Development, 2011; 1: 188-199.