Balamurugan K, Sathya B, Anbazhagan S
Balamurugan K1*, Sathya B1, Anbazhagan S2
1Department of Pharmacy, Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar, Chidambaram - 608002, Tamilnadu, India.
2Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Surya School of Pharmacy, Vikravandi - 605652, Villupuram, Tamil Nadu, India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2021
The current study was aimed to investigate the antidepressant-like activity of Diosgenin and Silymarin in combination against depression using phenobarbitone-induced sleeping time in rats. The study was carried out in four groups of wistar rats (150 – 200gm) of either sex containing six animals each. Group I was served as a control (0.5 % CMC, 10ml/kg, p.o.). Groups II, III and IV were treated with Diosgenin (100mg/kg, p.o.), Silymarin (100mg/kg, p.o.) and combination of Diosgenin (50mg/kg, p.o.) + Silymarin (50mg/kg, p.o.), respectively. For the phenobarbitone-induced sleeping test, rats were pre-treated with the standard and the test drugs 30 minutes prior to the administration of phenobarbitone sodium (40mg/kg, body weight, i.p.). The parameters like onset of sleep and duration of sleep was recorded on each animal. Diosgenin and Silymarin, given at a dose of 100mg/kg, each, shown significant decrease in duration of sleeping time in rats with P value less than 0.05, compared with control group of animals. The same two bioactive compounds when given in combination (50mg/kg, p.o., each), shown significant antidepressant-like effect, potentially. The result concluded that, the bioactive compounds, Diosgenin and Silymarin, in combination could exert a synergistic antidepressant-like action on phenobarbitone-induced sleeping time in rats.
Cite this article:
Balamurugan K, Sathya B, Anbazhagan S. Enhanced Antidepressant-Like Activity of Diosgenin and Silymarin in Combination on Phenobarbitone-Induced Sleeping Time in Rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2021; 14(3):1635-1638. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00290.0
Balamurugan K, Sathya B, Anbazhagan S. Enhanced Antidepressant-Like Activity of Diosgenin and Silymarin in Combination on Phenobarbitone-Induced Sleeping Time in Rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2021; 14(3):1635-1638. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00290.0 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-3-79
1. Gupta A, Bahadur I, Gupta KR, Bhugra D. Self-awareness of depression and life events in three groups of patients: Psychotic depression, obsessive–compulsive disorder and chronic medical illness in North India. Indian Journal of Psychiatry. 2006; 48: 251–253.
2. Sanmukhani J, Anovadiya A, Tripathi CB. Evaluation of Antidepressant like Activity of Curcumin and its Combination with Fluoxetine and Imipramine: An Acute and Chronic Study. Acta Poloniae Pharmaceutica and Drug Research. 2011; 68(5): 769-775.
3. Mahmudah R, Hasanuddin S, Saleh A, Yuliastri WO, Isrul M. Antidepressant Activity and Identification of Chemical Compounds Extract Mustard Leaves (Brassica juncea L.). Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019; 12(7): 3223-3227.
4. Gaynes BN, Rush AJ, Trivedi MH, Wisniewski SR, Spencer D, Fava M. The STAR*D study: Treating depression in the real world. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine. 2008; 75(1): 57-66.
5. Manivannan J, Arunagiri P. Sivasubramanian J, Balamurugan E. Diosgenin prevents hepatic oxidative stress, lipid peroxidation and molecular alterations in chronic renal failure rats. International Journal of Nutrition, Pharmacology, Neurological Diseases. 2013; 3(3): 289-293.
6. Jesus M, Martins AP, Gallardo E, Silvestre S. Diosgenin: recent highlights on pharmacology and analytical methodology. Journal of Analytical Methods in Chemistry.2016; doi: 10.1155/2016/4156293.
7. Chen P-S, Shih Y-W, Huang H-C, Cheng H-W (2011) Diosgenin, a Steroidal Saponin, Inhibits Migration and Invasion of Human Prostate Cancer PC-3 Cells by Reducing Matrix Metalloproteinases Expression. PLoS ONE 6(5): e20164. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0020164.
8. Kim JK, Park SU. An Update on the Biological and Pharmacological Activities of Diosgenin. EXCLI Journal. 2018; 17: 24-28.
9. Wagner H, Diesel P, Seitz M. The chemistry and analysis of silymarin from Silybum marianum Gaertn. Arzneimittelforschung. 1974; 24: 466-71.
10. El-Marasy SA, Abd-Elsalam RM, Ahmad-Fariq OA. Ameliorative Effects of Silymarin on Scopolamine-induced Dementia in Rats. Macedonian Journal of Medical Sciences. 2018; 6(7): 1215-1244.
11. Patel N, Joseph C, Corcoran GB, Ray SD. Silymarin modulates doxorubicin-induced oxidative stress, Bcl-xL and p53 expression while preventing apoptotic and necrotic cell death in the liver. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology. 2010; 245: 143-52.
12. Freitag AF, Cardia GFE, Da Rocha BA, Aguiar RP, Silva-Comar FMDS, Spironello RA, Grespan R, Caparroz-Assef SM, Bersani-Amado CA, Cuman RKN.. Hepatoprotective effect of silymarin (Silybum marianum) on hepatotoxicity induced by acetaminophen in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/538317.
13. Nimbalkar VV, Kadu UE, Shelke RP, Shendge SA, Tupe PN, Gaikwa PM. Evaluation of Immunomodulatory Activity of Diosgenin in Rats. International Journal of Clinical and Biomedical Research. 2018; 4(3): 70-75.
14. Jashitha M, Chakraborty M, Kamath JV. Effect of Quercetin on Hepatoprotective Activity of Silymarin against Thiocetamide Intoxicated Rats. International Research Journal of Pharmacy. 2013: 4(7): 138-140.
15. Owolabi OJ, Amaechina FC, Eledan AB. Central nervous system stimulant effect of the ethanolic extract of Kigelia africana. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research. 2008; 2: 20-23.
16. Silverman K, Evans SM, Strain EC, Griffith RR. Withdrawal syndrome after the double-blind cessation, caffeine consumption. The New England Journal of Medicine. 1999; 327: 1109-1114.
17. Uddin MZ, Emran TB, l Dutta M, Ullah SMA, Shahadat Hossain S, Rana MS. In vivo antidepressant, analgesic, anti-inflammatory activities, in vitro antioxidant and antibacterial potential of fractioned Elatostema papilllosum Wed. extract. The Pharma Innovation Journal 2019; 8(1): 241-246.
18. Chauhan K, Santwani P, Parmar L, Solanki R, Adeshara S. Evaluation of Antidepressant Activity of Ailanthus excelsa roxb. using Mice as Experimental animal. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2011; 3(3): 102-104.
19. Ma Y, Han H, Eun TS, Kim HC, Hong JT, Oh KW. Sanjoinine A isolated from Zizyphi spinosi semen augments pentobarbital-induced sleeping behaviours through the modification of GABA-ergic systems. Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin. 2007; 30(9): 1748-53.
20. Tripathi KD. Sedative and Hypnotics. Essential of Medical Pharmacology. 7th ed. New Delhi. Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd; 2013: 397-410.
21. Kaul PN, Kulkarni SK. New drug metabolism inhibitor of marine origin. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 1978; 67: 1293-1296.
22. Natarajan B, Muralidharan A, Satish R, Dhananjayan R. Neuropharmacological activity of Trigonella foenum graecum Linn. Seeds. Journal of Natural Remedies. 2007; 7(1): 160 – 165.
23. Abdullah, Khan MA, Ahmad W, Ahmad M, Nisar M. Hepatoprotective effect of the solvent extracts of Viola canescens Wall. ex. Roxb. against CCl4 induced toxicity through antioxidant and membrane stabilizing activity. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2017; 17:10. DOI 10.1186/s12906-016-1537-7.