The biological active compounds that are present in plants referred as phytochemicals. These phytochemicals derived from different parts of plants such as leaves, barks, seed, seed coat, flowers, roots and pulps and thereby used as sources of direct medicinal agents. Phytochemistry describes the large number of secondary metabolic compounds present in the plants. The plants are the reservoirs of naturally occurring chemical compounds and of structurally diverse bioactive molecules. Chromatographic techniques have significant role in natural products chemistry as well as contribute dramatically in the discovery of novel and innovative compounds of pharmaceutical and biomedical importance. The study absorbed on visual demonstration of fractionation and isolation of Lantana camara leaves of secondary metabolites using column-chromatographic techniques. Isolation of bioactive compounds using column-chromatographic involves: a) Preparation of sample; b) Packing of column; c) Pouring of sample into the column; d) Elution of fractions e) Analysis of each fractions using thin layer chromatography. However, depending on nature of research, compounds can be further purified using Gas chromatography and Mass spectrometry (GC-MS), infrared spectroscopy (IR) and high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectral analyses.
Cite this article:
Poongothai Annadurai. Extraction and Isolation of Bioactive Compounds from Lantana camara Leaves by Column Chromatographic Techniques. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2021; 14(3):1607-1611. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00285.7
1. Abdul, K.K., Palwasha. A., Ayeesha. M., Safdar Ali. K. and Rasool. B.T. (2019) Response of plant parts and age on the distribution of secondary metabolites on plants found in Quetta. Pakistan Journal of Botany. 41(5): 2129-2135.
2. Mahesh Chand Meena and Vidya Patni. (2018) Isolation and identification of flavonoid “Quercetin” from Citrulluscolocynthis (Linn.) Schrad. Asian Journal Experimental Science. 22(1): 137-142.
3. El-Shemy HA, Aboul-Enein AM, Aboul-Enein KM, Fujita K. (2017) Willow leaves’ extracts contain antitumor agents effective against three cell types. PLoS One 2: e178.
4. Bajpai, V.K. and Kang, S.C. (2018) Isolation and characterization of biologically active secondary metabolites from Metasequoiaglyptostroboides Miki ex Hu. J Food Safety. 31: 276-83.
5. Lin, B.F. and Chao, W.W. (2010) Isolation and identification of bioactive compounds in Andrographis paniculata (Chuanxinlian), Chinese Medicine, 5, 2010, 17.
6. Rajkumar, V., Gunjan, G., R. and Ashok, K. (2012) Isolation and bioactivity evaluation of two metabolites from the methanolic extract of Oroxylum indicum stem bark, Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine, 2 (1), 2012, 7-11.
7. Choudhury Pradeep Kumar and Jadhav Sachin (2013) Extraction and Isolation of Bioactive Compounds from Ficus racemosa Bark and Cissampelos pareira Root by Chromatographic Technique. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research, 20(2), 101-106.