Ameer AA Aldafaay, Haidar A. Abdul Amir, Hiba A. Abdulhussain, Aurok S Badry, Ameer K Abdulsada
Ameer AA Aldafaay1, Haidar A. Abdul Amir2*, Hiba A. Abdulhussain2, Aurok S Badry3, Ameer K Abdulsada4
1Ibn Al-Bitar Hospital, Baghdad-Iraq.
2Department of Pharmacy-Al-Esraa University College, Baghdad-Iraq.
3Kamal Al-Samarrai Specialist Hospital, Baghdad, Iraq.
4Al-Sania Health Cener, Al-Qadisiyah, Iraq.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2021
Background: Renal failure is a condition in which the kidneys fail to adequately filter waste products from the blood. Kidney failure is mainly determined by a decrease in glomerular filtration rate. Early recognition could help clinical management, but current indices lack the sufficient predictive value for renal failure. Objective: investigate the status of urine a-amylase in Iraqi patients with chronic renal failure in an attempt to investigate its role in the diagnosis of renal diseases. Methods: A case control study was done on 40 male patients with renal failure who were recruited from the Iraqi Dialysis Center at Baghdad teaching Hospital, Baghdad, Iraq between May and December 2019. The control group comprised of 20 age matched apparently healthy volunteers. Urine samples were obtained from patients and control at 10 A.M and store at (-5C°) until assayed for the evaluation of a -amylase by a colorimetric method. Results: it was demonstrated that there was a significant (p=0.000) decrease in the level of urinary amylase in patients with chronic renal failure in comparison with control. Urinary amylase exhibited AUC values equal to one in patients with chronic renal failure (AUC= 1.00) with an excellent value of accuracy presented as specificity (100%) and sensitivity (100%). Conclusion: Level of urinary a-amylase in chronic renal failure patients was significantly lower than that of controls. It was also demonstrated that the urinary amylase test showed to be an excellent diagnostic and predictive marker in patients with chronic renal failure.
Cite this article:
Ameer AA Aldafaay, Haidar A. Abdul Amir, Hiba A. Abdulhussain, Aurok S Badry, Ameer K Abdulsada. The use of Urinary α-amylase level in a diagnosis of Chronic renal failure. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2021; 14(3):1597-1600. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00283.3
Ameer AA Aldafaay, Haidar A. Abdul Amir, Hiba A. Abdulhussain, Aurok S Badry, Ameer K Abdulsada. The use of Urinary α-amylase level in a diagnosis of Chronic renal failure. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2021; 14(3):1597-1600. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00283.3 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-3-72
1. De Souza PM, de Oliveira Magalhães P. Application of microbial α-amylase in industry - A review. Braz J Microbiol. 2010; 41(4):850–861.
2. Narappanawar SN, Ranade SS, Kandpal S, Veena S, Rao KVB. Isolation of α-Amylase Producing Bacteria from Naini lake and Assessment of their Anti-Oxidant and anti-Fungal Properties Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2016; 9(3):245-250
3. Sangeetha S. and Anuradha R. Production of amylase enzyme by Aspergillus niger using Rice bran and potato skin. Research J. Science and Tech. 2012; 4(2): 59-61
4. Vaidya S, Srivastava PK, Ragyarathore P, Pandey AK. Amylases: A prospective enzyme in the field of Biotechnology. J Appl Biosci. 2015; 41:1-18.
5. Abu-El-Haija M, Kumar S, Quiros JA, Balakrishnan K, Barth B, Bitton S, Eisses JF, Foglio EJ, Fox V, Francis D, Freeman AJ, Gonska T, Grover AS, Husain SZ, Kumar R, Lapsia S, Lin T, Liu QY, Maqbool A, Sellers ZM, Szabo F, Uc A, Werlin SL, Morinville VD. Management of Acute Pancreatitis in the Pediatric Population: A Clinical Report From the North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition Pancreas Committee. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2018; 66(1):159-176.
6. Meher S, Mishra TS, Sasmal PK, Rath S, Sharma R, Rout B, Sahu MK. Role of Biomarkers in Diagnosis and Prognostic Evaluation of Acute Pancreatitis. J Biomark. 2015; 2015:519534.
7. Bharathi S. Management of Chronic Pancreatitis: A Review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2015; 8(8): 1083-1086
8. Hayakawa AT. Clinical significance of urinary amylase in diagnosis of pancreatic disease. Nagoya J. Med. Sci. 1970; 32: 185-214
9. Wani MD, Chalkoo M, Ahmed Z, Yousuf AM, Arafat Y, et al. Clinical significance of Urinary Amylase in Acute Pancreatitis. Arch Surg Clin Res. 2017; 1: 021-031.
10. Sarojini D, Sunitha P, Kanthal LK, Lavanya K, Bhar K. A Study on Clinical Profile of Patients with Acute Severe Pancreatitis on Carbapenem versus Non-Carbapenems. Research J. Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics;.2012; 4(6): 349-352.
11. Srinivassan K. A Descriptive Study to assess the knowledge on Dietary Management among Chronic Renal Failure Patients undergoing Hemodialysis at Selected Hospital, Kanchipuram. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research 2014; 2(3): 241-244.
12. Jasim AH, Al-Saadi NH. Biochemical Markers of Bone Turnover in Pre-dialysis, Chronic Renal Failure Patients. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2019; 12(10):4909-4912.
13. Al- Baghdadi DDH, Rajha A. Quality of Life for Hemodialysis Patients with Chronic Renal Failure. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(6): 2398-2403.
14. Sarhat ER, Saeed HSM, Wadi SA. Altered Serum Markers of Omentin and Chemerinin Chronic Renal Failure Patients on Hemodialysis. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(4): 1667-1670.
15. Sathyanarayanan G, Shanmugasundaram P, Geetha P. A Prospective Observational Study on Microalbuminuria as Risk factor of Chronic Renal Failure in patients with Type 2 Diabetes. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(9): 3085-3088.
16. Monika, Batra K, Sharma S. A Descriptive Study to Assess the Quality of Life in ESRD (End Stage Renal Disease) Patients Undergoing Hemodialysis in Selected Hospital of Mohali, Punjab. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2018; 6(1): 31-36.
17. Bakker J, Beek FJ, Beutler JJ, et al. Renal artery stenosis and accessory renal arteries: accuracy of detection and visualization with gadolinium-enhanced breath-hold MR angiography. Radiology 1998; 207(2):497-504.
18. Gaspari F, Perico N, Ruggenenti P, et al. Plasma clearance of nonradioactive iohexol as a measure of glomerular filtration rate. J Am Soc Nephrol 1995; 6(2):257-263.
19. Sterner G, Frennby B, Hultberg B, et al. Iohexol clearance for GFR-determination in renal failure—single or multiple plasma sampling? Nephrol Dial Transplant 1996; 11(3):521-525.
20. Furukawa A, Murata K, Morita R. Evaluation of renal function using Gd-DTPA dynamic MR Imaging. Nippon Igaku Hoshasen Gakkai Zasshi 1996; 56(5):264-274.
21. Knesplova L, Krestin GP. Magnetic resonance in the assessment of renal function. Eur Radiol 1998; 8(2):201-211.
22. Dalla-Palma L, Panzetta G, Pozzi-Mucelli RS, et al. Dynamic magnetic resonance imaging in the assessment of chronic medical nephropathies with impaired renal function. Eur Radiol 2000; 10(2):280-286.
23. Laissy JP, Benerbous S, Idee JM, et al. MR assessment of iodinated contrast-medium induced nephropathy in rats using ultrasmall particles of iron oxide. J Magn Reson Imaging 1997; 7(1):164-170.
24. Norman G. Likert scales, levels of measurement and the "laws" of statistics. Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract. 2010; 15:625-32.
25. Hajian-Tilaki K. Receiver Operating Characteristic (ROC) Curve Analysis for Medical Diagnostic Test Evaluation. Caspian J Intern Med 2013; 4: 627–635.
26. Levitt MD, Rapoport M, Cooperband SR. The renal clearance of amylase in renal insufficiency, acute pancreatitis, and macroamylasemia. 1969; 71(5):919-25.
27. Berk JE, Fridhandler L, Ness RL. Amylase and lsoamylase Activities in Renal Insufficiency. Ann Intern Med. 1979; 90(3):351-353.
28. Collen MJ, Ansher AF, Chapman AB, Mackow RC, Lewis JH. Serum amylase in patients with renal insufficiency and renal failure. Am J Gastroenterol. 1990; 85(10):1377-80.
29. 71. Wagh RV, Chawhan SS, Chandel R. Serum level of amylase and lipase chronic renal failure. International Journal of Research and Current Development 2015; 1(2): 66-68.
30. Ueda M1, Araki T, Shiota T, Taketa K. Age and sex-dependent alterations of serum amylase and isoamylase levels in normal human adults. J Gastroenterol. 1994; 29(2):189-91.
31. Brouwer A, Knook DL. The reticuloendothelial system and aging: a review. Mech Ageing Dev. 1983; 21(3-4):205-28.