Aceclofenac and Curcumin are both known to be used in joint pain or in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, etc. But the problem arises in the bioavailability and absorption of these drugs in the body. The current study deals with the design and evaluation of crystal co-agglomerates prepared with the use of various concentration of polymers like HPMC K15M and PVA. The aim of the study was to improvise the flow property, wettability, and dissolution property of the drug and to enhance its absorption in the body which will give better therapeutic response. The prepared co-agglomerates were evaluated for the parameters and it was found that the F4 bath was optimum because better flow ability, maximum drug content and increased dissolution property. SEM study shows the clear cylindrical crystals formed and the stability study shows that the prepared co-agglomerates were stable for the period of time without any significant change in the preparation. It was concluded that the preparation of crystal co-agglomerates was a successful approach in improving the various properties which can reduce the chances of metabolism of drug and will give better therapeutic response and stability of the drug.
Cite this article:
V. Malviya, S. Manekar. Design, Development and Evaluation of Aceclofenac and Curcumin Agglomerates by Crystallo Co-Agglomeration Technique. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2021; 14(3):1535-1541. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00272.9
V. Malviya, S. Manekar. Design, Development and Evaluation of Aceclofenac and Curcumin Agglomerates by Crystallo Co-Agglomeration Technique. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2021; 14(3):1535-1541. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00272.9 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-3-61
1. Gohel, M.C., Parikh, R.K., Shah, H. and Dubey, R.R. Improvement in flowability and compressibility of ampicillin trihydrate by spherical crystallization. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2003, 65(6), 634.
2. Puechagut, H.G., Bianchotti, J. and Chiale, C.A. Preparation of norfloxacin spherical agglomerates using the ammonia diffusion system. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 1998, 87(4), 519-523.
3. Ghosh, B., Patel, J., Bose, P. and Roy, D., Crystallo Co-agglomeration-A Review., International Journal of Recent Scientific Research. 2018, 9(2), 24226-24230,
4. Viswanathan, C.L., Kulkarni, S.K. and Kolwankar, D.R. Spherical agglomeration of mefenamic acid and nabumetone to improve micromeritics and solubility: A technical note. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech, 2006, 7(2), 122-125.
5. Chatterjee, A., Gupta, M.M. and Srivastava, B. Spherical crystallization: A technique use to reform solubility and flow property of active pharmaceutical ingredients. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Investigation, 2017, 7(1), 4-10.
6. Pawar, A., Paradkar, A., Kadam, S. and Mahadik, K. Agglomeration of ibuprofen with talc by novel crystallo-co-agglomeration technique. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech, 2004, 5(4), 30-35.
7. Goczo, H., Szabo-Revesz, P., Farkas, B., Hasznos-Nezdei, M. Serwanis, S.F., Pintye-Hodi, K., Kasa, J., Eros, I., Antal, I. and Marton, S. Development of spherical crystals of acetylsalicylic acid for direct tablet-making. Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, 2000, 48(12), 1877-1881.
8. Szabo-Revesz, P., Hasznos-Nezdei, M., Farkas, B., Göcző, H., Pintye-Hodi, K. and Erős, I.,. Crystal growth of drug materials by spherical crystallization. Journal of Crystal Growth, 2002, 237, 2240-2245.
9. Matsuoka, M. Growth and Morphology of Agglomerate Crystals of _< DL>-Methionine in Reaction Crystallization. Crystal Growth of Organic Materials, 1997, 5.
10. Gohel, M.C., Parikh, R.K., Shah, H. and Dubey, R.R. Improvement in flowability and compressibility of ampicillin trihydrate by spherical crystallization. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2003, 65(6), 634.
11. Kurumkar, P., Dewani, S., Pathan, I.B. and Sonaye, H. Preparation of spherical crystal agglomerates via crystallo-co-agglomeration technique. Digest Journal of Nanomaterials and Biostructures, 2012, 7(3), 1223-1236.
12. Solanki, S.S., Paliwal, P., Jain, S., Sharma, P. and Sarkar, B. Formulation and Evaluation of Curcumin Liquisolid Tablets. Current Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2012, 1(4), 210-214.
13. Malviya, V.R., Pande, S.D. and Bobade, N.N. Preparation and Evaluation of Sustained Release Beads of Zolmitriptan Hydrochloride. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 2019, 12(12), 5972-5976.
14. Ueda, M., Nakamura, Y., Makita, H., Imasato, Y. and Kawashima, Y. Particle Design of Enoxacin by Spherical Crystallization Technique. I.: Principle of Ammonia Diffusion System (ADS). Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, 1990, 38(9), 2537-2541.
15. Sano, A., Kuriki, T., Handa, T., Takeuchi, H. and Kawashima, Y. Particle design of tolbutamide in the presence of soluble polymer or surfactant by the spherical crystallization technique: improvement of dissolution rate. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 1987, 76(6), 471-474.
16. Raval, M.K., Sorathiya, K.R., Chauhan, N.P., Patel, J.M., Parikh, R.K. and Sheth, N.R. Influence of polymers/excipients on development of agglomerated crystals of secnidazole by crystallo-co-agglomeration technique to improve processability. Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, 2013, 39(3), 437-446.
17. Garala, K.C., Patel, J.M., Dhingani, A.P. and Dharamsi, A.T. Preparation and evaluation of agglomerated crystals by crystallo-co-agglomeration: An integrated approach of principal component analysis and Box–Behnken experimental design. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 2013, 452(1-2), 135-156.
18. Kachrimanis, K., Ktistis, G. and Malamataris, S. Crystallisation conditions and physicomechanical properties of ibuprofen–Eudragit® S100 spherical crystal agglomerates prepared by the solvent-change technique. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 1998, 173(1-2), 61-74.
19. Kawashima, Y., Handa, T., Takeuchi, H., Okumura, M., Katou, H. and Nagata, O. Crystal modification of phenytoin with polyethylene glycol for improving mechanical strength, dissolution rate and bioavailability by a spherical crystallization technique. Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, 1986, 34(8), 3376-3383.
20. Shaha, D. and Sorathiab, K. Design and evaluation of sustained release spherical agglomerates of Fluvastatin sodium by crystallo-co-agglomeration. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science, 2017, 7(09), 099-108.
21. Di Martino, P., Di Cristofaro, R., Barthelemy, C., Joiris, E., Filippo, G.P. and Sante, M. Improved compression properties of propyphenazone spherical crystals. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 2000, 197(1-2), 95-106.
22. V.R. Malviya, et al. Preparation and Evaluation of Zolmitriptan Hydrochloride Lozenges. J Pharm Res 2019; 8(8):624-629.