Abdul Muhaimen Amjed Adnan, Monther Faisal Mahdi, Ayad Kareem Khan
Abdul Muhaimen Amjed Adnan1, Monther Faisal Mahdi2, Ayad Kareem Khan2
1Department of Pharmacy, Baghdad College of Medical Science, Baghdad, Iraq.
2Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, College of Pharmacy, Mustansiriyah University, Baghdad-Iraq.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2021
New 2-methyl benzimidazole derivatives were prepared and evaluated as possible inhibitor agents for cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2). The synthesized derivatives structures have been recognized according to their spectral FT-IR, 1H-NMR data and physical properties. The newly synthesized compounds were inspected in vivo for their anti-inflammation efficiency using egg-white stimulated edema of paw method regarding the effect of propylene glycol 50%v/v as a control group. Ibuprofen (10mg/kg i.p.) was chosen as a reference ligand. New compounds exhibit a significant in vivo anti-inflammatory efficacy approached with ibuprofen as a reference drug. Selective evaluation of cyclooxygenase-2 by stimulating molecular cohesion through (GOLD suite v.5.6.2). All the investigated compounds via molecular docking showed significant more activities comparable with diclofenac and ibuprofen as referenced drugs. ADME studies were performed to estimate site of absorption, bioavailability, topological polar surface area and drug-likeness and it appeared that all synthesized compounds absorbed from GIT.
Cite this article:
Abdul Muhaimen Amjed Adnan, Monther Faisal Mahdi, Ayad Kareem Khan. New 2-Methyl Benzimidazole Derivatives bearing 4-Thiazolidinone Heterocyclic Rings: Synthesis, Preliminary Pharmacological Assessment and Docking Studies. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2021; 14(3):1515-1520. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00269.9
1. Ferrero-Miliani L, Nielsen OH, Andersen PS, Girardin S.: Chronic inflammation: of NOD2 and NALP3 in Interleukin-1beta Generation. Clinical and Experimental Immunology. 2007; 147 (2): 227-235.
2. Vogel H.G, Goethe J.H. "Drug Discover and Evaluation." Pharmacological Assays (2nd ed). Berlin Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag; 2002.
3. Rayapaneni C, Dhulipallasowmya, Malarkodi V. Review of Inflammation and Its Medicinal Plants. International Journal of Frontiers and Technology. 2014; 2(3): 75-85.
4. Clive P. Page, Michael J. Curtis, Morley Sutter, Michael Walker, Brian Hoffman."Farmacología integrada" Book. Published by Elsevier España, 1998.
5. Lancet. Lanas, A., and Chan, F. K. L.: Peptic ulcer disease. The Lancet. 2017; 390(10094), 613–624.
6. Walia, R, Md. Hedaitullah, Naaz, SF, Iqbal, K and Lamba, HS.: Benzimidazole Derivatives: An overview. International Journal of Research in Pharmacy and Chemistry 2011; 1(3): 565-574.
7. Karale BK, Rindhe SS, Rode MA.: Synthesis and biological activities of some benzimidazole derivatives. Indian J Pharm Sci. 2015; 77(2): 230–236.
8. Chandrika NT, Shrestha SK, Ngo HX, Garneau-Tsodikova S.: Synthesis and investigation of novel benzimidazole derivatives as antifungal agents. Bioorg Med. Chem. 2016; 24(16): 3680–3686.
9. X.J. Wang et al.: Synthesis, biological evaluation and SAR studies of benzimidazole derivatives as H1-antihistamine agents .Chinese Chemical Letters 2012; 23: 707–710.
10. Chen G, Liu Z, Zhang Y, et al. Synthesis and Anti-inflammatory Evaluation of Novel Benzimidazole and Imidazopyridine Derivatives. ACS Med Chem Lett. 2012; 4(1): 69–74.
11. Tonelli, M., Simone, M., Tasso, B., Novelli, F., Boido, V., Sparatore, F. and La Colla, P.: Antiviral activity of benzimidazole derivatives. II. Antiviral activity of 2-phenylbenzimidazole derivatives. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, 2010; 18(8), 2937–2953.
12. Rouf et al. Synthesis and antioxidant activity of 2-substituted-5-nitro benzimidazole derivative. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2017; 9(2), 0975-1491.
13. Chu B, Liu F, Li L, et al.: A benzimidazole derivative exhibiting antitumor activity blocks EGFR and HER2 activity and up regulates DR5 in breast cancer cells. Cell Death Dis. 2015; 6 (3): e1686.
14. Handan, A.; Oznur, A.; and Seher, B.: Synthesis of mannich bases of some 2,5 disubstituted 4-thiazolidinones and evaluation of their antimicrobial activities. Turk. Chem. J. 2005; 29: 425- 435.
15. Zhou, C.F.; Chen, J.; Liu, P.G.; et al.: Design, synthesis and biological evaluation of thiazolidinone derivatives as potential EGFR and HER-2 kinase inhibitors. Bioorg Med Chem. 2010; 18(1): 314-9.
16. Chandra, T.; Garg, N. and Kumar, A.: Synthesis of Sulpha Drug Quinazolin -4-one Derivatives and Their Evaluation for Anti-inflammatory Activity. World Journal of Chemistry.2009; 4 (2): 210-218.
17. Rawal, R.K.; Tripathi, R.; Kulkarni, S.; et al.: 2-(2,6-Dihalo-phenyl)-3-heteroaryl-2-ylmethyl-1, 3-thiazolidin-4-ones: Anti-HIV agents. Chem Biol. Drug Des.2008; 72(2): 147 –54.
18. Salahuddin, et al., Synthesis, characterization and antimicrobial activity of 1,3,4-oxadiazole bearing 1H-benzimidazole derivatives. Arabian Journal of Chemistry (2012).
19. Shetgiri N.P. and Kokitkar S.V., Synthesis and biological activity of new benzimidazoles. Indian Journal of Chemistry, 2001; 40(B): 163-166
20. Telvekar VN, Bairwa VK, Satardekar K, Bellubi A. Novel 2-(2-(4-aryloxybenzylidene) hydrazinyl) benzothiazole derivatives as anti-tubercular agents. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2012; 22(1): 649-652.
21. Neuenfeldt PD, Drawanz BB, Siqueira GM, Gomes CR, Wardell SM, Flores AF, et al. Efficient solvent-free synthesis of thiazolidin-4-ones from phenylhydrazine and 2, 4-dinitrophenylhydrazine. Tetrahedron Lett 2010; 51(23): 3106-3108.
22. Stefan S.; Kenneth M.W.; Roland B.; Andrew J.M.; Kay B.; Richard O.D. and Gerd G. , Effect of Clofibrate on the Chiral Disposition of Ibuprofen in Rats. JPET. 1998; 284: 1132-1138.
23. Chakraborty, A.; Devi, R.K.B.; Rita, S; et al: Preliminary studies on anti-inflammatory and analgesic activities of Spilanthes acmella in experimental animal models. Indian J. Pharmaco. 2004; 36(3): 148-150
24. Palm K, Stenberg P, Luthman K, Artursson P. Polar molecular surface properties predict the intestinal absorption of drugs in humans. Pharm Res. 1997; 14: 568–571.