Muthukumar. S, Noori Irfana Parvin M. K, Shobana. S, Vimala. N, Vinesha. R, Sundaraganapathy. R
Muthukumar. S1*, Noori Irfana Parvin M. K1, Shobana. S1, Vimala. N1, Vinesha. R1, Sundaraganapathy. R2
1Department of Pharmaceutics, KMCH College of Pharmacy, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India. (Affiliated to The Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University).
2Faculty of Pharmacy, Karpagam Academy of Higher Education, Coimbatore.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2021
Clove (Eugenia caryophyllus) and orange peel oil are most valuable spices that have been used for centuries for many medicinal purposes. It is effective in reducing fungal infection such as athlete’s foot. (a contagious fungal skin infection caused by a species of trichophyton or epidermorphyton (tinea pedis) that usually affects the foot). Pre formulation studies were done for antifungal activity of clove and orange oil. (clove oil and orange oil mixture was taken and soaked in a sterile disc and those disc were placed in the medium and incubated, zone of inhibition was identified). FTIR was done for the determination of constitute present in the orange oil and clove oil. there were no additional peaks were found when both the oil was mixed for preparation of formulation it was confirmed with the IR interpretation. The herbal ointment was formulated by using clove oil and orange peel oil with simple ointment bases. The extracts of orange peel oil and clove oil were incorporated into simple ointment base by fusion method. The physiochemical parameters such pH, viscosity, spreadability, washability, homogeneity was evaluated. The optimized formula (F1 &F3) was concluded based on evaluation parameters.
Cite this article:
Muthukumar. S, Noori Irfana Parvin M. K, Shobana. S, Vimala. N, Vinesha. R, Sundaraganapathy. R. Formulation and Evaluation of Novel Herbal Ointment for the Treatment of Fungal Infection. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2021; 14(3):1459-1464. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00259.6
1. Carter, S.J. Cooper and Gunn’s Dispensing for Pharmaceutical Students: Ointments, Pastes and Jellies. 12th edition, CBS Publishers and Distributors, India,
2. Chakole CM, Shende MA, Khadatkar SN. “Formulation and evaluation of novel combined halobestasol propionate and Fusidic acid ointment. International Journal of Chem-Tec Research. 2009 Jan, March; 1(1): 103-106
3. Raymond CR, Paul JS, Marian EQ editors. Handbook of Pharmaceutical Association Wang Y, Shao J, Zhou Ch, Zhang D, Bie X, et al. (2009) Food preservation effects of curcumin microcapsules. Food Control 27: 113-117.
4. Briozzo J., Nuñez L., Chirife J., Herzage L., D’ Aquino M. Antimicrobial activity of clove oil dispersed in concentrated sugar solution. J. Appl. Bacteriol. 1989; 66:69–77. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
5. Ochuko L. Erukainure, Osaretin A.T. Ebuehi, M. Iqbal Choudhary, M. Ahmed Mesaik, Ahmed Shukralla, Aliyu Muhammad. Orange Peel Extracts: Chemical Characterization, Antioxidant, Antioxidative Burst, and Phytotoxic Activities.
6. Baranauskiené R, Petras R, Koen D, Roland V. Properties of oregano (Origanum vulgare L.) citronella (Cymbopogon nardos G.) and marjoram (Majorana hortensis L.) flavors encapsulated into milk protein-based matrices. Food Res Int. 2016; 39: 413–425. 25.
7. Rivero-Cruz I, Duarte G, Navarrete A, Bye R, Linares E, et al. (2011) Chemical Ointment
8. Garg S, Gupta Piyush. Resent advances in semisolid Dosage forms for Dermatological Applications Pharmaceutical Technology, March 2012, 144- 162.
9. Rajalakshmi G. et.al. Formulation and evaluation of clotrimazole and Ichtammol ointment International Journal of Pharma and Bio Science. 1, 2010, 7-16.
10. Chakole CM, shende MA, Khadatkar SN. Formulation and evaluation of novel combined halobetason propionate and fusidic acid ointment. International Journal of Chem Tech Research 2009, 1: 103-116
11. Patil Bharat, Mandore Paresh, Sharman R.K, Tekade V.W, Novel advances in semisolid Dosage forms and patented technology in semisolid Dosage form, International Journal of Pharma Tech Research, Vol – 3, No.1, P.P 420- 430. 30.
12. Akanksha D. formulations and evaluation of Neomycin sulphate containing Natural wound healing Agent Curcuma longa; International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Drug Research. 2009, 1(2): 116-118.