Banana Alfares, Amir Alhaj Sakur
email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
Banana Alfares1, Amir Alhaj Sakur2
1Chemistry Department, Faculty of Science, University of Aleppo, Syria.
2Department of Analytical and Food Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Aleppo, Syria.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2021
Two simple, sensitive, rapid and extractive free spectrophotometric methods have been developed for the determination of zolmitriptan (ZMT) in pure form and in pharmaceutical formulations. The methods are based on the formation of ion pair coloured complexes between ZMT and two dyes, thymolblue (TB) method (A) and phenol red (PhR) method (B) with absorption maximum at 398nm and 418nm for TB and PhR, respectively. Reaction conditions were optimized to obtain the maximum colour intensity. Beer’s law was obeyed in the concentration ranges of 0.125–9.0 and 1.25–40.00µg/mL with TB and PhR, respectively. The limits of quantification (LOQ) were 0.24 and 2.20µg/mL for TB and PhR methods, respectively. Molar absorptivity (?) values were 6.3642×104, and 1.2552×104L/moL.cm for TB and PhR methods, respectively. The proposed methods applied successfully to the determine of ZMT in raw material and in its dosage forms, and no interference was observed from common excipients present in pharmaceutical preparations. Statistical comparison of the results with the reference method showed excellent agreement and indicated no significant difference in accuracy and precision.
Cite this article:
Banana Alfares, Amir Alhaj Sakur. High Sensitivity Spectrophotometric Methods for the Determination of Zolmitriptan in Pharmaceutical Formulations. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021;14(3):1215-1220. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00216.X
Banana Alfares, Amir Alhaj Sakur. High Sensitivity Spectrophotometric Methods for the Determination of Zolmitriptan in Pharmaceutical Formulations. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021;14(3):1215-1220. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00216.X Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-3-4
1. E. M. Clement and M. Franklin, Simultaneous measurement of zolmitriptan and its major metabolites N desmethyl zolmitriptan and zolmitriptan N-oxide in human plasma by High-Performance Liquid chromatography with coulometric detection, Journal of Chromatography B, 766(2), 2002, 339–343.
2. J. Yao, Y. Qu, X. Zhao et al, Determination of zolmitriptan in human plasma by high performance liquid chromatography electro spray mass spectrometry and study on its pharmacokinetics, Journal of Chinese Pharmaceutical Sciences, 14(1),2005, 25-28.
3. Z. Zhang, F. Xu, Y. Tian, W. Li, and G. Mao, Quantification of zolmitriptan in plasma by high performance liquid chromatography-electro spray ionization mass spectrometry, Journal of Chromatography B, 813(1-2),2004, 227–233.
4. D. Wang, D. S. Ouyang, Z. R. Tan et al, HPLC-MS determination of zolmitriptan in human plasma and research of its bioequivalence, Chinese Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis, 27(2), 2007, 171–173.
5. E. K. S. Vijayakumar, M. A. Samel, S. B. Bhalekar, and S. M. Pakhale, A new stability indicating HPLC method for related substances in zolmitriptan, Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 72(1), 2010, 119–122.
6. M. M. Annapurna and B. Nanda, Validated RP method for the determination of zolmitriptan-a serotonin 5-HT receptor agonist, Journal of Pharmacy and Nutrition Sciences, 1(1), 2011, 9–14.
7. D. G. Sankar, A. Nagesh Babu, A. Rajeshwari, and M. Vamsi Krishna, Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for estimation of zolmitriptan in tablet dosage forms, Asian Journal of Chemistry, 21(7), 2009, 5019–5022.
8. M. Rao, M. K. Srinivasu, G. Sridhar, P. R. Kumar, K. B. Chandrasekhar, and A. Islam, A validated chiral LC method for the determination of Zolmitriptan and its potential impurities, Journal of Pharmaceuticaland Biomedical Analysis, 37(3), 2005, 453–460.
9. P. V. Sagar, D. Kumar, S. Dey, and H. B. Samal, Simultaneous estimation of rizatriptan, sumatriptan and zolmitriptan by RP-HPLC method in bulk, Journal of Pharmacy Research, 3(12), 2010, 2930–2933.
10. M. Induri, R. M. Bhagavan, P. Y. Rajendra, R. K. Pavankumar, R. Boddu, and R. Sarva, A validated RP-HPLC method for the quantification of zolmitriptan in tablet dosage form, Der Pharma Chemica, 2(5), 2010, 351–357.
11. K. Vishwaathan, M. G. Bartlett, J. T. Stewart, Determination of antimigraine compounds rizatriptan, zolmitriptan, naratriptan and sumatriptan in human serum by liquid chromatography/electrospray tandem mass spectrometry, Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry,1(1), 2011, 50–62.
12. Y. K. Reddy, G. V. S. Reddy, and K. N. Jayaveera, A new stability indicating RP-UPLC method for related substances in zolmitriptan, African Journal of Scientific Research,14(3), 2000, 168–172.
13. B. Uslu and D. Canbaz, Anodic voltammetry of zolmitriptan at boron-doped diamond electrode and its analytical applications, Pharmazie,65(4), 2010, 245–250.
14. S. K. Acharjya, M. E. B. Rao, B. V. V. R. Kumar, and M. M. Annapurna, UV-Spectrophotometric methods for the determination of zolmitriptan in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage Forms, Journal of Advanced Scientific Research, 2(3), 2011, 42–47.
15. T. E. G. K. Murthy and K. Veditha, Spectrophotometric estimation of zolmitriptan, Indian Pharmacist,9(12), 2011, 57–60.
16. D. G. Sankar, A. N. Babu, A. Rajeswari, M. V. Krishna, and K. V. Devi, Spectrophotometric determination of zolmitriptan in pharmaceutical dosage forms, Asian Journal of Chemistry, 20(6), 2008, 4960–4962.
17. A. Raza, T. M. Ansari, and S. B. Niazi, A novel Spectrophotometric method for the determination of zolmitriptan in pharmaceutical formulations, Journal of the Chinese Chemical Society, 54(6), 2007, 1413–1417.
18. Z. Aydogmus and I. Inanli, Extractive Spectrophotometric methods for determination of zolmitriptan in tablets, Journal of AOAC International, 90(5), 2007, 1237–1241.
19. A.A. Gouda, R.E. Sheikh, , and R.M. El-Azzazy, Charge transfer Spectrophotometric determination of zolmitriptan in pure and dosage forms, Journal of analytical bioanalytical techniques, 3(6), 2012, 1000149.
20. P. S. Khan, P. R. Reddy And V. K. Reddy, Visible Spectrophotometric Methods For The Determination Of Zolmitriptan In Bulk And Pharmaceutical Formulations Using Aromatic Aldehydes And Folin’s Reagent., International Journal of Chem Tech Research, 5(6), 2013, 2941-2946.
21. A.A. Sakur, Determination of Zolmitriptan in Dosage Forms by Spectrofluorimetry , research journal of Aleppo University, Medical Sciences Series, 74, 2011.
22. A.A. Sakur, R. Obaydo, Sensitive spectrophotometric methods for Determination of zolmitriptan in bulk form and in tablets via complex formation with tow sulphonphthalein acid dyes, International journal of academic Scientific Research, 3(4), 2015, 106-114.
23. A.M. Michael, M. R. Rezk, H. M. Lotfy & M. A. Shehata, Comparative Study of Multivariate and Univariate Determination of Zolmitriptan in the Presence of its Degradation products, Analytical Chemistry Letters, 5(2), 2015, 73-84.
24. V. Desfontaine, F. Capetti, R. Nicoli, T. Kuuranne, Systematic evaluation of matrix effects in supercritical fluid chromatography versus liquid chromatography coupled to mass spectrometry for biological samples, Journal of Chromatography B, 3(4), 2018, 1079-1088.
25. K. N. Prashanth, N. Swamy, Titrimetric Assay of Zolmitriptan in non-aqueous medium, International journal of pharmaceutical and chemical sciences, 3(2), 2014, 384-390.
26. B. Patel, B. N. Suhagia, A. G. Jangid, H. N. Mistri, N.Desai, Systematic evaluation of matrix and cross- talk –free method for simultaneous determination of zolmitriptan and N- desmethyl zolmitriptan in human plasma: a sensetive LC-MS/MS method validation and its application to a clinical pharmacokinetic study, Biomedical Chromatography, 30(3), 2016, 447–458.
27. J.H.Yoe, A.L. Jones, Colorimetric Determination of Fe with disodium dihydroxybenzene-3,5-disulfonate; Journal of Industrial & Engineering Chemistry,16(3),1944, 14–19.
28. C.Warren, R.Vosburgh, Gerald. Cooper., The identification of Complex ions in Solution by Spectrophotometric measurements; Journal of the American Chemical Society 63(2), 1941, 437-442.Miller JC, Miller JN. Statistics in Analytical Chemistry; 1993, 3rd ed., Ellis Horwood, Chichester, pp. 119.