Junairiah, Jamilatul Arofah, Y. Sri Wulan Manuhara, Tri Nurhariyati, Ni’matuzahroh
Junairiah*, Jamilatul Arofah, Y. Sri Wulan Manuhara, Tri Nurhariyati, Ni’matuzahroh
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science and Technology, Universitas Airlangga, Campus C - Mulyorejo, Surabaya, East Java, Indonesia.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2021
Piper retrofractum Vahl. in Indonesia has potential to be one of the medicinal plants to treat infertility problems. Several secondary metabolite compounds contained in Piper retrofractum Vahl. are essential oils, alkaloids, piperins, saponins, flavonoids, triterpenoids, steroids and glycosides. Plant tissue culture method to induce callus media requires proper formulation to get the optimum result. The purpose of this research was to know the effect of growth regulators combination of 2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4-D) and 6-Benzylaminopurine (BAP) on time of induction, percentage, fresh weight, dry weight, and morphology on callus culture of Piper retrofractum Vahl.'s leaf explant. Leaf explant of Piper retrofractum Vahl. cultured on Murashige and Skoog (MS) medium with combination of 2,4-D and BAP with concentrations of 0.0mg/L, 0.5mg/L, 1mg/L, 1.5mg/L, 2mg/L. This research was a laboratory experimental research with the complete randomized design method. The data obtained were analyzed quantitatively and qualitatively. Quantitative data consisted of time of induction, percentage, fresh weight, dry weight of callus, while qualitative data was obtained from the morphology description of Piper retrofractum Vahl. The results showed that the combination of growth regulators 2,4-D and BAP added in culture medium influenced the growth of Piper retrofractum Vahl. leaf explant. Both at the time of induction, percentage, fresh weight and dry weight of callus. The best combination of growth regulators 2,4-D 1.0mg/L and BAP 1.0mg/L showed the average time in inducing callus 15 days after planting. The combination of growth regulators 2,4-D 1.0mg/L and BAP 2.0mg/L was the best combination resulted in an average of fresh weight and dry weight of callus 31.20mg and 5.92mg. Morphology of callus was produced by explant mostly textured friable greenish-white which cultured in medium with combination of growth regulators 2,4-D 1.0mg/L and BAP 2.0mg/L in all parts of edge and surface explant.
Cite this article:
Junairiah, Jamilatul Arofah, Y. Sri Wulan Manuhara, Tri Nurhariyati, Ni’matuzahroh. Effect of 2,4-D and BAP on Callus Induction of Piper retrofractum Vahl. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2021; 14(3):1390-1394. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00248.1
Junairiah, Jamilatul Arofah, Y. Sri Wulan Manuhara, Tri Nurhariyati, Ni’matuzahroh. Effect of 2,4-D and BAP on Callus Induction of Piper retrofractum Vahl. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2021; 14(3):1390-1394. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00248.1 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-3-36
1. Chaveerach A, Mokkamul P, Sudmoon R and Tanee T. Ethnobotany of The Genus Piper (Piperaceae) in Thailand. Ethnobotany Research and Applications. 2006; 4: 223-231.
2. Mgbeahuruike EE, Yrjönen T, Vuorela H and Holm Y. Bioactive Compounds from Medicinal Plants: Focus on Piper Species. South African Journal of Botany. 2017; 112: 54-69.
3. Pramudia M and Umami KK. Prototype Design of Smart System as A Vines Medium of Javanese Long Pepper (Piper retrofractum Vahl). In Journal of Physics: Conference Series. 2018; 953(1): 012141.
4. Jong-Woong A, Mi-Ja A, Ok-Pyo Z, Eun-Joo K, Sueg-Geun L, Hyung JK and Kubo I. Piperidine Alkaloids from Piper retrofractum Fruits. Phytochemistry, 1992; 31(10): 3609-3612.
5. Indriati G and Samsudin. The Insecticidal Activities of Piperaceae Extract on Helopeltis antonii in Coocoa. Journal of Industrial and Beverage Crops. 2014; 1(1): 7-14.
6. Yooboon T, Pengsook A, Ratwatthananon A, Pluempanupat W and Bullangpoti V. A Plant-based Extract Mixture for Controlling Spodoptera litura (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). Chemical and Biological Technologies in Agriculture. 2019; 6(1): 5.
7. Chansang U, Zahiri NS, Bansiddhi J, Booruad T, Thongsrirak P, Mingmuang J, Benjapong N and Mulla MS. Mosquito larvacidal activity of aqueous extract of long pepper (Piper retrofractum) from Thailand. Journal of Vector Ecology. 2005; 30(2): 195-200.
8. Konate S, Kone M, Kouakou HT, Kouadio JY, Zouzou M. Callus Induction and Proliferation from Cotyledon Explants in Bambara Groundnut, African Crop Science Journal. 2013; 21(3): 255-263.
9. Bonyanpour A and Khosh-khui M. Callus Induction and Plant Regeneration in Punica granatum L ‘Nana’ from Leaf Explants. Journal of Central European Agriculture. 2013; 4(3): 928-936.
10. Aftab F, Alam M, Afrasiab H and Afrasiab H. In Vitro Shoot Multiplication and Callus Induction in Gladiolus hybridus Hort. Pakistan Journal of Botany. 2008; 40(2): 517-522.
11. Mohamad FHMB, Hana ZEZ, and Ali G. A Brief Review on Secondary Metabolites Biosynthesis Regulation; Application in Gynura procumbens in Glass House Condition, Malaysia Journal of Science. 2018; 37(1): 25-49.
12. Kiong ALP, Huan HH, and Hussein S. Callus Induction from Leaf Explants of Melaleuca alternifolia. International Journal of Agricultural Research. 2007; 2(3): 227-237.
13. Gopitha K, Bhavani AL and Senthilmanickam J. Effect of The Different Auxins and Cytokinins in Callus Induction, Shoot, Root Regeneration in Sugarcane. International Journal of Pharmma and Biosciences. 2010; 1(3): 1-7.
14. Guruchandran V and Sasikumar C. Organogenic Plant Regeneration via Callus Induction in Stevia rebaudiana Bert. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences. 2013; 2(2): 56-61.
15. Teshome S and Feyissa T. In Vitro Callus Induction and Shoot Regeneration from Leaf Explants of Glinus lotoides (L.)—An Important Medicinal Plant. 2015.
16. Bernabé-Antonio A, Álvarez L, Salcedo-Pérez E. Toral FLD, Anzaldo-Hernández, J. and Cruz-Sosa F. Fatty Acid Profile of Intact Plants of Two Different Sites and Callus Cultures Derived from Seed and Leaf Explants of Calophyllum brasiliense Cambess: A New Resource of Non-edible Oil. Industrial Crops and Products. 2015; 77: 1014-1019.
17. Hu S, Ma Y, Jiang H, Feng D, Yu W, Dai D and Mei L. Production of Paeoniflorin and Albiflorin by Callus Tissue Culture of Paeonia lactiflora Pall. Chinese Journal of Chemical Engineering. 2015; 23(2): 451-455.
18. Junairiah J, Mahmuda A, Manuhara YSW, Ni’matuzahroh N and Sulistyorini L. Callus Induction and Bioactive Compounds from Piper betle L. var Nigra. In IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science. 2019; 217(1): 012026.
19. Haensch KT. Influence of 2,4-D and BAP on Callus Growth and The Subsequent Regeneration of Somatic Embryos in Long-term Cultures of Pelargonium x domesticum cv. Madame Layal. Electronic Journal of Biotechnology. 2007; 10(1): 69-77.
20. Palei S, Rout GR, Das AK, Dash DK. Callus Induction and Indirect Regeneration of Strawberry (Fragaria x Ananassa) Duch. CV. Chandler. International Journal of Current Microbiology and applied Sciences. 2017; 6(11): 1131-1318.
21. Patel MB and Patel RS. Effects of Plant Growth Regulators (PGRs) on Callus Induction from Leaf Segments Explant of Tecomella undulata (Sm.) Seem-An Important Medicinal Plant. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications. 2013; 3(12): 1-4.
22. Reis A, Kleinowski AM, Klein FRS, Souza RTTD, Amarante LD and Braga EJB. Callus Induction and Betacyanin Quantification by HPLC/MS-MS in Alternanthera brasiliana (L.) Kuntze. Hoehnea. 2017; 44(1): 90-95.
23. Wankhade DM. (2014) Investigation on callus formation Piper nigrum L., International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Chemical Sciences 3(2):358-366.
24. Zakaria AL, Ajlouni M, Shatnawi M, Shibli R, Makhdmeh I, Saeid ABU and Al-Ghazawi AL. Callus Induction, Plant Regeneration, and Growth on Barley (Hordeuum vulgare L.). South western Journal of Biology and Environment. 2012; 3(1): 25-39.
25. Lima EC, Paiva R, Nogueira RC, Soares FP, Emrich EB and Silva ÁAN. Callus Induction in Leaf Segments of Croton urucurana Baill. Ciência e Agrotecnologia. 2008; 32(1): 17-22.
26. Junairiah, J, Purnomo P, Utami ESW and Sulistyorini L. Callus Induction of Piper betle L. var Nigra Using 2,4-Dichlorofenoxyacetic Acid and 6-Benzil Aminopurine. Biosaintifika: Journal of Biology & Biology Education. 2018; 10(3): 588-596.
27. Sundarasekar J, Anthon YJJJ, Murugaiyah V, Subramoniam S. Preliminary Responses of 2,4-D and BAP on Callus Initiation of an Important Medicinal–ornamental Hymenocallis littoralis Plants. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research. 2012; 6(11): 2088-2093.
28. Al Hussaini ZA, Yousif SHA, Al-Ajeely SA. Effect of Different Medium on Callus Induction and Regeneration in Potato Cultivars. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences. 2015; 4(5): 586-865.
29. Sen MK, Nasrin S, Rahman S, Jamal AHM. In Vitro Callus Induction and Plantlet Regeneration of Achyranthes aspera L. A High Value Medicinal Plant. Asian Pacific Journal of tropical Biomedicine. 2014; 4(1): 40-46.
30. Wankhade DM. Investigation on Callus Formation in Piper nigrum L. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Chemical Sciences. 2014; 3(2): 358-366.