Present study was to investigate antidiabetic and anti-inflammatory activity ethanol extract of leaves of plant Barleria gibsoni Dalz. in-vitro. As per phytochemical investigation the extracts show presence of Flavanoids, tannins and saponins. The ethanolic leaves extract of Barleria gibsoni Dalz with a dose of 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 µg/ml, was taken for the activity and compared with the standard drug. Egg albumin denaturation and bovine serum fraction model was taken for activity and compared with Aspirin 10-50µg/ml. The samples at concentration (20, 40, 60, 80, 100µg/ml) were studied for antidiabetic effect on glucose transport across yeast cells and a- Amylase inhibition. The ethanol extract of leaves showed that significant result in both anti-inflammatory as well as antidiabetic models. However, these effects need to be confirmed using in vivo models and clinical trials for its effective utilization as therapeutic agents.
Cite this article:
Firoj A. Tamboli, Harinath N. More. In vitro screening of Anti-diabetic activity and Anti-inflammatory activity of leaves extract of Barleria gibsoni Dalz. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2021; 14(3):1289-1292. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00228.6
1. Clifford J Bailey and Caroline Day, et al. Traditional Plant Medicines as Treatments for Diabetes. Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Aston University, Birmingham B4 7ET, UK. 1989; 12(8): 553-564.
2. AK Meena, MM Rao, RP Meena, P Panda, Renu. Pharmacological and Phytochemical Evidences for the Plants of Wedelia Genus– A Review. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2011; 1(1): 07-12.
3. Sonam Soni, Pravin Kumar, Vinay Sagar Verma, Mukesh Sharma. Significance of Indian Medicinal Plants used for Treatment of Dementia. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2014; 4(4): 202-205.
4. P. Muthukumaran, K. Pattabiraman. Anti-Ulcer Effects of Ipomoea aquatica forsk Leaves against Gastric Ulcers in Rats. Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2010; 2(6): 468-471.
5. Gauri Karwani, Indrajeet Singhvi, Santosh Gupta. Antisecretory and Antiulcer Activity of Cartaeva nurvala against Indomethacin plus Pyloric Ligation Induced Gastric Ulcers in Rats. Research J. Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2011; 3(5): 256-259.
6. Inhibitory Effects of Successive Solvant Extracts of Barleria gibsoni Dalz. on the Proliferation of MDA MB 4355 (Human Breast Cancer) and Hep G2 (Liver Cancer Cell line). Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2015; 5(4): 183-185.
7. Firoj Tamboli, Harinath More, Pharmacognostic and Physicochemical analysis of Barleria gibsoni Dalz. Pharmacophore. 2016; 7(2): 118-123.
8. Firoj A. Tamboli, Harinath N. More. In vitro antipsoriatic study of successive solvent extracts of Barleria gibsoni Dalz. using HaCa T keratinocyte cells. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2015; 8(11): 1566-1569.
9. Firoj A. Tamboli, Harinath N. More. Evaluation of Anti-ulcer and Antioxidant activity of Barleria gibsoni Dalz. Leaves. Pharmacognosy Research. 2016; 8(4): 226-230.
10. G. Sivakumar, G. Arihara Sivakumar, Rebecca. Evaluation of Anti-arthritic activity of Methanolic extract of Barleria prionitis on CFA induced rats. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2019; 9(3): 159-164.
11. K Amutha, D Victor Arokia Doss. In Vitro Antioxidant Activity of Ethanolic Extract of Barleria cristata L. Leaves. Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2009; 1(3): 209-212.
12. Umesh Dhaked, Gaurav Nama, Devendra P. Singh, Amit K. Mishra, Nitin Kumar. Pharmacognostical and Pharmacological Profile of Barleria prionitis Root. Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 2011; 3(3): 108-111.
13. G. Jayanthy, S. Subramanian. Extraction, Isolation and Characterization of Rosmarinic Acid, a Major Polyphenol in Non-volatile Constituent of Mint Leaves. Asian J. Research Chem. 2013; 6(12): 1160-1165.
14. B. Edwin Jose, P. Panneerselvam. In Vitro Antidiabetic activity of Ethanol and Aqueous leaf extracts of Azima tetracantha Lam. Research J. Science and Tech. 2019; 11(1): 64-68.
15. Mizushima Y, Kobayashi M, et al. Interaction of anti ‐inflammatory drugs with serum proteins, especially with some biologically active proteins. J. Pharm. Pharm. 20; 1968: 169-173.
16. Megha G. Chaudhari, Bhoomi B. Joshi, Kinnari N. Mistry. In Vitro Anti-Diabetic And Anti-Inflammatory Activity of Stem Bark of Bauhinia purpurea, Bulletin of Pharmaceutical and Medical Sciences 2013; 1 (2): 139-150.
17. A. Anbarasi, R. Vidhya. Evaluation of In Vitro Anti- Inflammatory Activity of Tephrosia purpurea (Seed). Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2015; 5(2): 83-89.
18. K. Teja, T. Satyanarayana, B. Saraswathi, B. Goutham, K. Mamatha, P. Samyuktha, S. Tharangini. Phytochemical and In vitro Anti-inflammatory Activity on Abrus precatorius. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2019; 9(1): 50-54.
19. Salha Mahdjar, Chahrazad Bakka, Hocine Dendougui, Mohamed Hadjadj. Phytochemical profile and In vitro Anti-inflammatory Activity of Anvillea radiata (Coss and Dur) flowers Extracts; Asian J. Research Chem. 2020; 13(1): 44-47.
20. Chahrazad Bakka, Ouanissa Smara, Mohamed Hadjadj, Hocine Dendougui, Salha Mahdjar, Amina Benzid. In vitro Anti-inflammatory activity of Pistacia atlantica Desf. extracts. Asian J. Research Chem. 2019; 12(6): 322-325.
21. Sangita Chandra, Priyanka Chatterjee, Protapaditya Dey, Sanjib Bhattacharya, et al. Evaluation of in vitro anti-inflammatory activity of coffee against the denaturation of protein. Asian Pac. J. Trop. Biomed. 2012; 178-180.
22. Velayutham Ravichandiran, Sankaradoss Nirmala, KFH Nazeer Ahamed. Protective effect of tannins from Ficus racemosa in hypercholesterolemia and diabetes induced vascular tissue damage in rats, Asian Pac. J. Trop. Med. 2012; 367-373.
23. Virendra Singh Choudhary, Geeta Chaudhary. A Descriptive Study to Assess the Knowledge Regarding Diabetes Mellitus, Its Risk Factors and Complication among the Rural Community Sadiq, Faridkot (Punjab). Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2015; 5(2): 251-253.
24. Mohd. Yaqub Khan, Poonam Gupta, Bipin Bihari, Vikas Kumar Verma. A Review on Diabetes and Its Management. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2013; 3(1): 27-32.