Amir Alhaj Sakur, Dania Nashed, Imad Noureldin
email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
Amir Alhaj Sakur*, Dania Nashed, Imad Noureldin
Analytical and Food Chemistry Dept., Faculty of Pharmacy, Aleppo University, Syria.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2021
A new pencil graphite coated electrode was constructed to a potentiometric determination of montelukast sodium (MON). The coating material was a polymeric film consists of polyvinyl chloride (PVC), di-butyl phthalate (DBP), ion pair of drug and strontium nitrate reagent (SR). The sensor exhibited a Nernstian response with a mean calibration graph slope of (28.65 ± 0.07) mV/decade. The linearity range was (10-2-10-5) M, with detection limit 0.19µM and quantification limit 0.57µM. The proposed electrode works effectively in pH range (5-9.5) and the influence of proposed interfering species was negligible. The effectiveness of the graphite sensor continued in a period of time about (35) days. The validation of the newly constructed technique was assumed according to ICH recommendations. The results were studied in comparison with a reference method and the statistical analysis demonstrated that there was no difference in the proposed and previous published methods.
Cite this article:
Amir Alhaj Sakur, Dania Nashed, Imad Noureldin. Novel Pencil Graphite electrode for the Determination of Montelukast sodium in its pure and Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2021; 14(3):1279-1283. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00226.2
Amir Alhaj Sakur, Dania Nashed, Imad Noureldin. Novel Pencil Graphite electrode for the Determination of Montelukast sodium in its pure and Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2021; 14(3):1279-1283. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00226.2 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-3-14
1. The United States Pharmacopeia. in: USP38-NF33 ed. United States Pharmacopeial Convention INC; 2015. p. 4444.
2. Sweetman SC. Martindale: The Complete Drug Reference. in: 37th ed. Pharmaceutical Press; 2011. p. 1240.
3. Shakya AK, Arafat TA, Hakooz NM, Abuawwad AN, Al-Hroub H, Melhim M. High-performance Liquid Chromatographic determination of montelukast sodium in human plasma: Application to bioequivalence study. Acta Chromatogr. 2014; 26(3): 457–72.
4. Naaz A, Vani R. Simultaneous Estimation of Montelukast and Levocetirizine in Its Bulk and Liquid Dosage form by RP-HPLC. 2015; 5(10).
5. Shrikrishna B, Nisharani R. Analytical Method Development and Validation for Simultaneous Estimation of Montelukast and Ebastine by HPLC. Res J Pharm Technol. 2015; 8(1): 651–8.
6. Chauhan B, Rani S, Nivsarkar M, Padh H. A new liquid-liquid extraction method for determination of montelukast in small volume human plasma samples using HPLC with fluorescence detector. Indian J Pharm Sci. 2009; 68(4): 517.
7. Humaira S, Munde MR, Road OJ. Validated UV Spectroscopic Method for Estimation of. 2010; 01(11): 4–8.
8. Muralidharan S, Jia Qi L, Ting Yi L, Kaur N, Parasuraman S, Kumar J, et al. Newly Developed and Validated Method of Montelukast Sodium Estimation in Tablet Dosage Form by Ultraviolet Spectroscopy and Reverse Phase - High Performance Liquid Chromatography. Pharmacol Toxicol Biomed Reports. 2016; 2(2): 27–30.
9. Patel NK, Chouhan P, Paswan SK, Prakash K. Development and validation of a UV spectrophotometric method for simultaneous estimation of combination of Montelukast sodium in presence of Levocetirizine Dihydrochloride. Paswan [Internet]. 2014; 6(3): 313–21. Available from: http://www.scholarsresearchlibrary.com/articles/development-and-validation-of-a-uv-spectrophotometric-method-for-simultaneous-estimation-of-combination-of-montelukast-s.pdf
10. Tandulwadkar SS, More SJ, Rathore AS, Nikam AR, Sathiyanarayanan L, Mahadik KR. Method Development and Validation for the Simultaneous Determination of Fexofenadine Hydrochloride and Montelukast Sodium in Drug Formulation Using Normal Phase High-Performance Thin-Layer Chromatography. ISRN Anal Chem. 2012; 2012: 1–7.
11. Shakalisava Y, Regan F. Determination of montelukast sodium by capillary electrophoresis. J Sep Sci. 2008 Apr 1; 31:1137–43.
12. Aslan N, Erden PE, Canel E, Kilic E. Development and validation of a potentiometric titration method for the determination of montelukast sodium in a pharmaceutical preparation and its protonation constant. Bulg Chem Commun. 2014; 46(3): 497–502.
13. Alsarra I, Al-Omar M, Gadkariem EA, Belal F. Voltammetric determination of montelukast sodium in dosage forms and human plasma. Farmaco. 2005; 60(6–7): 563–7.
14. Khattab FI, Ramadan NK, Hegazy MA, Ghoniem NS. Microsized Graphite Sensors for Potentiometric Determination of Metronidazole and Spiramycin. Port Electrochim Acta. 2011; 29(2): 79–90.
15. Ion-Selective Electrodes: Recommended Kri. Union Int Pure Appl Chem. 1995; 67(3): 507–18.
16. Haroun M, Nashed D, Sakur AA. New electrochemical methods for the determination of Prasugrel using drug selective membranes. 2017; 5(3): 30–6.
17. Sakur AA, Nashed D, Haroun M, Noureldin I. Determination of prasugrel hydrochloride in bulk and pharmaceutical formulation using new ion selective electrodes. Res J Pharm Technol. 2018; 11(2): 631–6.
18. Mansour O, Nashed D, Sakur AA. Determination of Clopidogrel bisulphate Using Drug Selective Membranes. Res J Pharm Technol. 2018; 11(5).
19. Dabbeet H, Sakur A, Noureldin I. Novel Drug Selective Sensors for Simultaneous Potentiometric Determination of both Ciprofloxacin and Metronidazole in Pure form and Pharmaceutical Formulations. Res J Pharm Technol. 2019 Aug 27; 12: 3377–84.
20. Nashed D, Sakur AA. New Electrochemical Method for Determination of a Compound Derivative from Thienopyridine Using Drug Selective Membranes. has. M.Sc. Thesis in applied analytical chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Aleppo University; Supervisor A.A. Sakur; 2018.
21. Dabbeet HA, Sakur AA. Development of an Electrochemical Method for the Determination of a Compound Derivative from Fluroquinolone. M. Sc. Thesis in applied analytical chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, The University of Aleppo; Supervisor A.A. Sakur.; 2016.
22. Nasser B, Mandil H, Sakur AA. Determination of Some Antibiotic (Ciprofloxacin, Norfloxacin and Gatifloxacin) in Pure Form and Pharmaceuticals Formulations Using Electrochemical Titrations. Ph.D. Thesis in applied analytical chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Aleppo University; Supervisor H. Mandil. A.A. Sakur; 2013.
23. Sakur Aa, Bassmajei S, Dabbeet HA. Novel Moxifloxacin Ion Selective Electrodes for Potentiometric Determination of Moxifloxacin in Pure Form and Pharmaceutical Formulations. Int J Acad Sci Res. 2015;3(4): 66–75.
24. Mandil H, A.A. Sakur, Nasser B. New ion selective electrode for potentiometric determination of gatifloxacin in pure form and pharmaceutical formulations. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2013;5(2).
25. Mandil H, Sakur AA, Nasser B. Use of cerium (IV) in potentiometric titration of norfloxacin in pharmaceutical preparations. Asian J Chem. 2012;24(7): 2985–8.
26. International Conference on Harmonization (ICH), Validation of Analytical Procedures: Text and Methodology, Q2(R1), IFPMA, Geneva. 2005.
27. Babu KP and PS, Department. Validated UV Spectroscopic Method for Estimation of Montelukast Sodium from Bulk and Tablet Formulations. International J Adv Pharmacy, Biol Chem Res. 2012; 1(4): 450–3.