Shashikant Sudarshan Upadhye, Srinath Balkundhi, Vishwajeet Sampatrao Ghorpade, Shirishkumar Damodar Ambavade, Sujit Vitthal Abhang, Safina Ismail Mulla, Priya Abhishek Patil
Shashikant Sudarshan Upadhye1*, Dr. Srinath Balkundhi2, Dr. Vishwajeet Sampatrao Ghorpade3, Dr. Shirishkumar Damodar Ambavade4, Mr. Sujit Vitthal Abhang1, Ms. Safina Ismail Mulla1, Mrs. Priya Abhishek Patil1
1PhD Research Scholar, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Sanjay Ghodawat University, Atigre, Kolhapur: 416118, Maharashtra.
2Associate Professor, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Sanjay Ghodawat University, Atigre, Kolhapur: 416118, Maharashtra.
3Assistant Professor, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Sanjay Ghodawat University, Atigre, Kolhapur: 416118, Maharashtra.
4Professor and Principal, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Sanjay Ghodawat University, Atigre, Kolhapur: 416118, Maharashtra.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2021
The nanosponge is the novel and emerging technology which plays a vital role in targeting drug delivery in the controlled manner. The nanosponges are tiny sponges having size of about a virus and it can easily penetrate through the skin. The tiny sponges circulate around the body until they reach to the specific target site and stick on the surface and start to release the drug in controlled manner. It releases the drug at specific site instead of circulating overall body it is more effective for targeted drug delivery system as they enhance solubility, bioavailability and reduces side effects. Nanosponges prevent drug and protein degradation. Both hydrophilic and lipophilic drugs are incorporated in Nanosponge. In this review mechanism, method of preparation, evaluation, stabilization and applications of nanosponges are discussed.
Cite this article:
Shashikant Sudarshan Upadhye, Srinath Balkundhi, Vishwajeet Sampatrao Ghorpade, Shirishkumar Damodar Ambavade, Sujit Vitthal Abhang, Safina Ismail Mulla, Priya Abhishek Patil. Nanosponges: An Innovative Approach for Targeted Drug Delivery System. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2021; 14(3):1797-1804. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00319.X
Shashikant Sudarshan Upadhye, Srinath Balkundhi, Vishwajeet Sampatrao Ghorpade, Shirishkumar Damodar Ambavade, Sujit Vitthal Abhang, Safina Ismail Mulla, Priya Abhishek Patil. Nanosponges: An Innovative Approach for Targeted Drug Delivery System. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2021; 14(3):1797-1804. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00319.X Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-3-108
1. Kaur G, Aggarwal G, Harikumar S.L. Nanosponge: New Colloidal Drug Delivery System for Topical Delivery. Indo Global Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2015; 5(1): 53-57.
2. Bolmal U, Manvi F., Kotha R, Soujanya Palla S, Paladugu A, Korivi Ram. Recent Advances in Nanosponges As Drug Delivery System, International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology: 2013: 6(1).
3. Thakre A, Gholse Y, Kasliwal R. Nanosponges: A Novel Approach of Drug Delivery System. Journal of Medical Pharmaceutical, And Allied Sciences: 2016: 78-92
4. Ansari K, Vavia P, Trotta F. Cyclodextrin-Based Nanosponges for Delivery of Resveratrol: In Vitro Characterizations, Stability, Cytotoxicity and Permeation Study. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech: 2011: 12: 9.
5. Zuruzi S, MacDonald N, Moskovits M, Kolmakov A: Metal oxide nanosponges as chemical sensors: Highly sensitive detection of hydrogen using nanosponge titania: Angewandte Chem ie.2007:46 (23): 4298-4301
6. Osmani R, Thirumaleshwar S, Bhosale R, Kulkarni P: Nanosponges: The spanking accession in drug delivery- An updated Comprehensive review Pelagia Research LibraryDer Pharmacia Sinica: 2014: 5(6): 7-21.
7. Sharma R, Roderick B, Pathak K: Evaluation of kinetics and mechanism of drug release from econazole nitrate nanosponges loaded carbopol Hydrogel. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research: 2011: 45(1), 25-31.
8. Aritomi H, Yamasaki Y, Yamada K, Honda H, Khoshi M: Development of sustained release formulation of chlorpheniramine maleate using powder coated microsponges prepared by dry impact blending method. Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology: 1996: 56(1), 49-52.
9. Kilicarslan M, Baykara T: The effect of the drug/polymer ratio on the properties of Verapamil HCl loaded microspheres. International Journal of Pharmaceutics: 2003: 252(1-2): 99–109.
10. Barkai A, Pathak V, Benita S: Polyacrylate microspheres for oral controlled release of nifedipine formulation, design and process optimization. Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy: 1990: 16(13), 2057-2075.
11. R. Lala, Thorat A., Gargote C. Current trends in βcyclodextrin based drug delivery systems. Int J Res Ayurveda Pharm: 2011: 2(5): 1520-1526.
12. Trotta F., Cavalli R., Tumiatti W, Zerbinati O, Rogero C, Vallero R: inventors; Sea Marconi Technologies Sas, Assignee. Ultrasound assisted synthesis of cyclodextrin-based nanosponges. EP 1786 841 B1:2007
13. Amber V, Shailendra S, Swarnalatha S: Cyclodextrin based novel drug delivery systems. J Pharmaceut Sci: 2012: 62:23-42.
14. 14] Rajeswari C, Alka A, Javed A, Khar R: Cyclodextrins in drug delivery: an update review. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech, 2013; 6 (2): E329-E357.
15. Honey T, Alok M, Naveen D, Manjoo K. A Review on Nanosponges. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 3(11): 219-233.
16. Naga Silpa J., Srinath N, Ramadevi B, Lakshmi S, Vinusha K, Renuka K. Nanosponges: A Versatile Drug Delivery System International Journal of Pharmacy and Life Sciences: 2013: 4(8).
17. Thakre A, Gholse Y, Kasliwal R. Nanosponges: a novel approach of drug delivery system. J Med Pharm Allied Sci: 2016:78: 103-11.
18. Rita L, Amit T, Chandrashekhar G: Current trends in βcyclodextrin based drug delivery systems. Int J Res Ayurveda Pharm. 2011: 2: 1520-6.
19. Ahmed R, Patil G, Zaheer Z: Nanosponges-a completely new nano-horizon: pharmaceutical applications and recent advances. Drug Dev Ind Pharm: 2013: 39: 1263-72.
20. 20] Singh D, Soni G, Prajapati S: Recent advances in nanosponges as drug delivery system: a review. Eur J Pharm Med Res. 2016: 3: 364-71.
21. Swaminathan S, Pastero L, Serpe L, Trotta F, Vavia P, Aquilano D: Cyclodextrin-based nanosponges encapsulating camptothecin: Physicochemical characterization, stability and cytotoxicity. Eur J Pharm Biopharm: 2010:74: 193-201.
22. Cavalli R, Akhter A, Bisazza A, Giustetto P, Trotta F, Vavia P: Nanosponge formulations as oxygen delivery systems. Int J Pharm. 2010:402:254-7.
23. Lee CL, Wu CC, Chiou HP, Syu CM, Huang CH, Yang CC: Mesoporous platinum nanosponges as electrocatalysts for the oxygen reduction reaction in an acidic electrolyte. Int J Hydrogen Energy: 2011:36:6433-40.
24. Sharma R, Pathak K: Polymeric nanosponges as an alternative carrier for improved retention of econazole nitrate onto the skin through topical hydrogel formulation. Pharm Dev Technol: 2011: 16: 367-76.
25. Subramanian S, Singireddy A, Krishnamoorthy K, Rajappan M: Nanosponges: A novel class of drug delivery system – Review. J Pharm Pharm Sci: 2012:15:103-11.
26. Lee CL, Chao YJ, Chen CH, Chiou HP, Syu CC: Graphitenano fiber - Supported porous Pt-Ag nanosponges: Synthesis and oxygen reduction electrocatalysis. Int J Hydrogen Energy. 2011:36:15045-51.
27. Alongi J, Poskovic M, Frache A, Trotta F: Novel flame retardants containing cyclodextrin nanosponges and phosphorous compounds to enhance EVA combustion properties. Polym Degrad Stab: 2010:95:2093-100.
28. Arnum P: Nanosponges, a controlled–Release nanoparticle system, shows promise in targeted drug delivery. Pharm Technol: 2011: 35:56-60.
29. Alongi J, Poskovic M, Frache A, Trotta F: Role of β-cyclodextrin nanosponges in polypropylene photooxidation. Carbohydr Polym. 2011:86:127-35.
30. Rosalba M, Roberta C, Roberto F, Chiara D, Piergiorgio P, Leigh E: Antitumor activity of nanosponge – Encapsulated camptothecin in human prostrate tumors. Cancer Res. 2011: 71: 4431.
31. Jenny A, Merima P, Alberto F, Francesco T: Role of β-cyclodextrin nanosponges in propylene photooxidation. Carbohydr Polym. 2011:86:127-35.
32. Leslie Z. Benet., BCS and BDDCS: Bioavailability and Bioequivalence: Focus on Physiological Factors and Variability. Department of biopharmaceutical sciences, University of California, San Francisco, USA: 2007.
33. Lembo D, Swaminathan S, Donalisio M, Civra A, Pastero L, Aquilano D. Encapsulation of acyclovir in new carboxylated cyclodextrin-based nanosponges improves the agent’s antiviral efficacy. Int J Pharm. 2013:443:262-72.
34. Sapino S, Carlotti ME, Cavalli R, Ugazio E, Berlier G, Gastaldi L: Photochemical and antioxidant properties of gammaoryzanolin beta-cyclodextrin based nanosponges. J Incl Phenom Macrocycl Chem. 2013:75:69-76.
35. Bolmal U, Manvi F, Rajkumar K, Palla S, Paladugu A, Reddy K: Recent advances in nanosponges as drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Sci Nanotechnol. 2013:6:1934-44.
36. Srinivas P, Sreeja K: Formulation and evaluation of voriconazole loaded nanosponges for oral and topical delivery. Int J Drug Dev Res. 2013:5:65-74.
37. Raja C, Kumar G, Anusha K: Fabrication and evaluation of ciprofloxacin loaded nanosponges for sustained release. Int J Res Pharm Nano Sci. 2013:2:1-9.
38. David F: Nanosponge Drug Delivery System More Effective than Direct Injection. Available from: http:// www.physorg.com.
39. Vishwakarma A, Nikam P, Mogal R, Talele S: Review on nanosponges: A beneficiation for novel drug delivery. Int J Pharm Tech Res. 2014:6:11-20.
40. Tambe R, Battase P, Arane P, Palve S, Talele S, Chaudhari G: Review on nanosponges: As a targeted drug delivery system. Am J Pharm Tech Res. 2015:5:215-24.
41. Trotta F, Cavalli R, Tumiatti W, Zerbinati O, Roggero C, Vallero R, inventors. Ultrasound assisted synthesis of cyclodextrin based nanosponges: WO 0002814 A1: Jan 12 2006.
42. Universita Deglistudi, Di Torino, Sea Marconi, Technologies Di, Method of preparing dextrin nanosponges: WO 2012/147069 A1: Nov1 2012.
43. Gilardi G, Cavalli F, Ferutti P, Ranucci E, Nardo G, Roggero CM: Cyclodextrin nanosponges as a carrier for biocatalyst, and in the delivery and release of enzymes, proteins, vaccines and antibodies: WO 2009/149883 A1: Dec 17 2009.
44. Lauren K. Wolf: Nanosponges Soak Up Toxins: Chemical and Engineering News. 2013:91:36.
45. Trotta F, Zanetti M, Cavalli R: Cyclodextrin-based nanosponges as drug carriers. Beilstein J. Org. Chem. 2012:8:2091–2099.