Payel Mitra, Somanjana Khatua, Narayan Chandra Mandal, Krishnendu Acharya
Payel Mitra1, 2, Somanjana Khatua1, Narayan Chandra Mandal2, Krishnendu Acharya2*
1Molecular and Applied Mycology and Plant Pathology Laboratory, Centre of Advanced Study, Department of Botany, University of Calcutta, 35, Ballygunge Circular Road, Kolkata, 700019, West Bengal, India.
2Mycology and Plant Pathology Laboratory, Department of Botany, Visva- Bharati, Santiniketan- 731235, India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2021
Termitomyces medius is a wild edible mushroom having unique flavour and texture. The present work was focused on extraction and characterization of the crude polysaccharide with FTIR, HPTLC and GCMS from the fruiting body of T. medius. The polysaccharide was subjected to several in vitro antioxidant assays such as hydroxyl radical scavenging activity, superoxide radical scavenging activity, determination of reducing power, chelation of ferrous ion and trolox as well as ascorbic acid equivalent total antioxidant capacity. In addition, effect of the polysaccharide on cell proliferation, stimulation of phagocytosis, NO release capacity and ROS production in murine macrophage RAW 264.7 was also investigated. This study concludes that polysaccharide from this mushroom can serve as a potent nutraceutical. Moreover, according to our literature review this is the first report on chemical composition, antioxidant activity as well as immunomodulatory effect of crude polysaccharide from T. medius.
Cite this article:
Payel Mitra, Somanjana Khatua, Narayan Chandra Mandal, Krishnendu Acharya. Beneficial properties of crude polysaccharides from Termitomyces medius of West Bengal to scavenge free radicals as well as boost immunity: A new report. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(2):1073-1078. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00193.1
1. Selvakumar K, Arunakaran J. Oxidative stress, biomarkers and antioxidants relevant to prostrate cancer and neurodegeneration: potential role of quercetin. International Journal of Natural Products Research. 2013; 2: 8-16.
2. Tseng TH, Kao ES, Chu CY, Chou FP, Lin WHW, Wang CJ. Protective effects of dried flower extracts of Hibiscus sabdariffa L. against oxidative stress in rat primary hepatocytes. Food Chemistry Toxicology. 1997; 35: 1159-1164.
3. Selegean M, Putz MV, Rugea T. Effect of the Polysaccharide Extract from the Edible Mushroom Pleurotus ostreatus against Infectious Bursal Disease Virus. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2009; 10: 3616-3634.
4. Mitra P, Mandal NC, Acharya K. Biocomponents and Bioprospects of Ethanolic Extract of Termitomyces heimii. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research 2015; 8: 331-334.
5. Kulczynski B, Michalowska AG. Goji Berry (Lycium barbarum): Composition and health effects-a review. Polish Journal of Food and Nutrition Sciences. 2016; 66: 67-75.
6. Municio C, Alvarez Y, Montero O, Hugo E, Rodriguez M, Domingo E, Alonso S, Fernandez N, Crespo MS. The response of Human Macrophages to β-Glucans depends on the inflammatory milieu. Plos ONE. 2013; 8(4): e62016.
7. Karun NC, Sridhar KR. Occurrence and distribution of Termitomyces (Basidiomycota, Agaricales) in the Western Ghats and on the west coast of India. Czech Mycology. 2013; 65: 233-254.
8. Khatua S, Acharya K. Influence of extraction 394 parameters on physico-chemical characters and antioxidant activity of water soluble polysaccharides from Macrocybe gigantea (Massee) Pegler and Lodge. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2016; 53: 1878-1888.
9. Khatua S, Dutta AK, Chandra S, Paloi S, Das K, Acharya K. Introducing a novel mushroom from mycophagy community with emphasis on biomedical potency. PloS ONE 2017; 12(5): e0178050.
10. Khatua S, Acharya K. Water soluble antioxidative crude polysaccharide from Russula senecis elicits TLR modulated NF-κB signalling pathway and pro-inflammatory response in murine macrophages. Frontiers in Pharmacology. 2018; 9: Article 985.
11. Saha S, Khatua S, Paloi S, Acharya K. Antioxidant and nitric oxide synthase activation properties of water soluble polysaccharides from Pleurotus florida, International Journal of Green pharmacy. 2013; 7: 182-188.
12. Mitra P, Khatua S, Acharya K. Free radical scavenging and NOS activation properties of water soluble crude polysaccharide from Pleurotus ostreatus. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2013; 6(3): 67-70.
13. Khatua S, Ghosh S, Acharya K. Antioxidant properties and metabolites profiling of polyphenol rich fraction from a folk mushroom, Macrocybe lobayensis, using different extractant. International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2019; 10(1): 564-571.
14. Khatua S, Mitra P, Chandra S, Acharya K. In vitro protective ability of Ramaria aurea against free radical and identification of main phenolic acids by HPLC. Journal of Herbs, Spices and Medicinal Plants. 2015; 21(4): 380-391.
15. Acharya K, Das K, Paloi S, Dutta AK, Hembrom ME, Khatua S, Parihar A. Exploring a new edible mushroom Ramaria subalpina: Chemical characterization and antioxidant activity. Pharmacognosy Journal. 2017; 9(1): 30-34.
16. Khatua S, Chandra S, Acharya K. Expanding knowledge on Russula alatoreticula, a novel mushroom from tribal cuisine, with chemical and pharmaceutical relevance. Cytotechnology. 2019; 71(1): 245-259.
17. Khatua S, Ghosh S, Acharya K. Chemical composition and biological activities of methanol extract from Macrocybe lobayensis. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science. 2017; 7(10): 144-151.
18. Khatua S, Sikder R, Acharya K. Chemical and biological studies on a recently discovered edible mushroom: a report. FABAD Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2018; 43(3): 151-157.
19. Khatua S, Acharya K. Functional ingredients and medicinal prospects of ethanol extract from Macrocybe lobayensis. Pharmacognosy Journal. 2018; 10(6): 1154-1158.
20. Sharma YP, Sharma R, Khatua S, Acharya K. Morphotaxonomy and comparative mycochemical study and antioxidant activity of hydromethanol, infusion and decoction extracts from Russula brevipes Peck. Indian Phytopathology. 2019; 72(3): 445-452.
21. Khatua S, Acharya K. Alkaline extractive crude polysaccharide from Russula senecis possesses antioxidant potential and stimulates innate immunity response. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2017; 69(12): 1817-1828.
22. Khatua S, Acharya K. Alkali treated antioxidative crude polysaccharide from Russula alatoreticula potentiates murine macrophages by tunning TLR/NF-κB pathway. Scientific Reports. 2019; 9: article number 1713.
23. Khatua S and Acharya K. Crude polysaccharides from two Russuloid myco-food potentiates murine macrophage by tuning TLR/NF-κB pathway. In Biotechnology and Biological Sciences, Edited by Sen R, Mukherjee S, Paul R, Narula R. CRC Press. 2019; pp 281-286.
24. Ghosh S, Khatua S, Acharya K. Crude polysaccharide from wild mushroom enhances immune response in murine macrophage cells by TLR/NF-κB pathway. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2019; 71(8): 1311-1323.
25. Sun Y, Li T, Liu J. Structural characterization and hydroxyl radicals scavenging capacity of a polysaccharide from the fruiting bodies of Auricularia polytricha. Carbohydrate Polymers. 2010; 80: 377-380.
26. He JZ, Ru QM, Dong DD, Sun PL. Chemical Characteristics and Antioxidant Properties of Crude Water Soluble Polysaccharides from Four Common Edible Mushrooms. Molecules. 2012; 17: 4373-4387.
27. Kozarski M, Klaus A, Niksic M, Jakovljevic D, Helsper JPFG, Griensven LJLD van. Antioxidative and immunomodulating activities of polysaccharide extracts of the medicinal mushrooms Agaricus bisporus, Agaricus brasiliensis, Ganoderma lucidum and Phellinus linteus. Food Chemistry. 2011; 129: 1667-1675.