Smitha S Vasavan, Senthilkumar Sivanesan, Vijayakumar Jagadesan
Smitha S Vasavan1,2*, Senthilkumar Sivanesan2, Vijayakumar Jagadesan1
1Department of Anatomy, Saveetha Medical College, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Chennai-602105, Tamil Nadu, India.
2Department of Research and Development, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences,
Chennai- 602 105, Tamil Nadu, India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2021
Objective: The present study was designed to investigate the antiperoxidative effects of water emulsion of Withania somnifera (WS) root powder on lipid peroxidation and antioxidant capacity in the serum of nandrolone decanoate (ND) treated rats. Withania somnifera (WS) is a very important herb in ayurveda and has adaptogenic, anticonvulsant, cytoprotective and antioxidant properties. Methods: Thirty six male Wistar rats were randomly divided into five groups. Group 1- control rats received corn oil (1ml/kg body weight) intramuscularly twice weekly for four weeks, Group 2- ND group received 16mg/kg of ND intramuscularly, Group 3 (ND+ WS100), Group 4 (ND+ WS200) and Group 5 (ND+ WS400) were treated with extract of WS root (100mg/kg, 200mg/kg and 400mg/kg) along with ND (16mg/kg). All ND treatments were given twice weekly for 4 weeks. WS was diluted in distilled water and administered orally once daily for 30 days. At the end of the experiment, animals were sacrificed one week after the last dose of injection and the antiperoxidative effect of water emulsion of WS root powder was investigated by measuring serum changes in lipid peroxidation and antioxidant status. Results: ND group showed elevated levels of serum MDA and decreased level of total antioxidant capacity as compared with control. However, drug treatment with WS to ND group considerably modulated the above altered lipid peroxidation and enhances the antioxidants status near to control. Conclusion: The present results suggest that water emulsion of WS root powder possesses antioxidant and anti-peroxidative effects against ND induced lipid peroxidation.
Cite this article:
Smitha S Vasavan, Senthilkumar Sivanesan, Vijayakumar Jagadesan. Antiperoxidative effect of Withania somnifera on Lipid peroxidation and Antioxidant capacity in the serum of nandrolone decanoate treated rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(2):1065-1068. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00191.8
1. Shahidi NT. A Review of chemistry, biological action, and clinical applications of anabolic-androgenic steroids. Clinical Therapeutics. 2001: 23, 1355-1390.
2. Zotti M, Tucci P, Colaianna M, Morgese MG, Mhillaj E, Schiavone S, Scaccianoce S, Cuomo V and Trabace L. Chronic nandrolone administration induces dysfunction of the reward pathway in rats. Steroids. 2014; 79:7-13.
3. Gadallah AA, El-Ghawet HA, and Sabry DA. Deca Durabolin (Nandrolone Decanoate) Impair Structure and Function of Liver, Prostate and Pituitary of Male Wistar Rats. Journal of Pharmacological Reports. 2017; 2:3.
4. Vasavan SS, Jagadesan V, Sivanesan S, Rajagopalan V. Protective effect of Withania somnifera On Nandrolone Decanoate induced Biochemical alterations and Hepatorenal Toxicity in Wistar Rats. Pharmacognosy Magazine. 2020; 16:S218-23.
5. Frankenfeld SP, Oliveira LP, Ortenzi VH, Rego-Monteiro IC, Chaves EA, Ferreira AC, Leitão AC, Carvalho DP and Fortunato RS. The anabolic androgenic steroid nandrolone decanoate disrupts redox homeostasis in liver, heart and kidney of male Wistar rats. PLoSOne. 2014; 16(9):e102699.
6. Turillazzi E, Neri M, Cerretani D, Cantatore S, Frati P, Moltoni L, Busardò FP, Pomara C, Riezzo I, Fineschi V. Lipid peroxidation and apoptotic response in rat brain areas induced by long-term administration of nandrolone: the mutual crosstalk between ROS and NF-kB. Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine. 2016; 20(4), 601-12.
7. Sangwan RS, Chaurasiya ND, Misra LN, Lal P, Uniyal GC, Sharma R, Sangwan NS, Suri KA, Qazi GN, Tuli R. Phytochemical variability in commericial herbal products and preparations. Current Sci. 2004; 86: 461-465.
8. Narinderpal K, Junaid N, Raman B. A Review on Pharmacological Profile of Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha). Research and Reviews: Journal of Botanical Sciences. 2013; 2 (4), 6-14.
9. Bharavi K, Reddy AG, Rao GS, Reddy AR and Rao S. Reversal of Cadmium-induced Oxidative Stress in Chicken by Herbal Adaptogens Withania somnifera and Ocimum sanctum. Toxicology International. 2010; 17(2): 59-63.
10. Chaurasia SS, Panda S and Kar A. Withania somnifera root extract in the regulation of lead-induced oxidative damage in male mouse. Pharmacological Research. 2000; 41(6): 663-6.
11. Manjunath MJ, Muralidhara. Standardized extract of Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha) markedly offsets rotenone-induced locomotor deficits, oxidative impairments and neurotoxicity in Drosophila melanogaster. Journal of food science and technology. 2015;52(4):1971-81.
12. Jeyanthi T and Subramanian P. Protective effect of Withania somnifera root powder on lipid peroxidation and antioxidant status in gentamicin-induced nephrotoxic rats. Journal of Basic and Clinical Physiology and Pharmacology. 2010; 21(1):61-78.
13. Elhadidy ME, Sawie HG, Meguid NA, Khadrawy YA. Protective effect of ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) against neurotoxicity induced by aluminium chloride in rats. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. 2018; 8(1): 59-66.
14. Ratan Kumar Paul. In vitro Antioxidant Activity of Withania somnifera Root. International Journal of Advanced Research in Chemical Science. 2016; 3(3): 45-56.
15. Rasool M and Varalakshmi P. Protective effect of Withania somnifera root powder in relation to lipid peroxidation, antioxidant status, glycoproteins and bone collagen on adjuvant-induced arthritis in rats. Fundamental and Clinical Pharmacology. 2007; 21(2):157-164.
16. Giorgio M, Trinei M, Migliaccio E, Pelicci PG. Hydrogen peroxide: a metabolic by-product or a common mediator of ageing signals? Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2007; 8: 722–728.
17. Pey A, Saborido A, Blázquez I, Delgado J, Megías A. Effects of prolonged stanozolol treatment on antioxidant enzyme activities, oxidative stress markers, and heat shock protein HSP72 levels in rat liver. The Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. 2003; 87: 269-277.
18. Mohamed MH, Mohamed MA. Effect of different doses of nandrolone decanoate on lipid peroxidation, DNA fragmentation, sperm abnormality and histopathology of testes of male Wister rats. Experimental and Toxicologic Pathology. 2015; 67(1): 1-11.
19. Pathak GP, Khurana A, Sood D, Sharma N, Amir, Sharma V. In Vitro Study of Antioxidant Activity of Withania Somnifera (Ashwagandha) Root. American Journal of Pharm Tech Research. 2013; 3(5).
20. Shah N, Singh R, Sarangi U, Saxena N, Chaudhary A and Kaur G. Combinations of ashwagandha leaf extracts protect brain-derived cells against oxidative stress and induce differentiation. PLoS One. 2015; 10(3): e0120554.