Harsha G, Naseeb Basha Shaik*, PK Lakshmi and Latha K
Harsha G, Naseeb Basha Shaik*, PK Lakshmi and Latha K
Department of Pharmaceutics, G. Pulla Reddy College of Pharmacy,
Mehdipatnam, Hyderabad, Telangana, India-500028.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2021
The aim of present research work is to formulate sertaconazole nitrate an antifungal drug into nanosponges loaded topical hydrogel using simple and cost effective method. Nanosponges loaded hydrogels were prepared by “Emulsion solvent diffusion method” using different polymers like ethyl cellulose and polymethyl methacrylate, a surfactant named polyvinyl alcohol and a crosslinking agent dichloromethane. Taguchi experimental design (L8) was applied for screening nanosponges by taking independent variables as type of polymers (X1), concentration of surfactant (X2) and amount of crosslinking agent (X3) while percentage entrapment efficiency (Y1) is dependent variable. Further, they were evaluated for particle size, PDI, zeta potential, percentage yield, entrapment efficiency, in-vitro and ex-vivo diffusion studies. Formulation F2 was screened based on its percentage drug release from in-vitro diffusion studies. Ex-vivo studies were conducted for screened formulation, marketed formulation (Onabet), pure drug dispersion and control gel to determine there percentage drug release and skin retention. F2 formulation followed zero order kinetics with Higuchi release mechanism, which indicates the rate of drug release through the mode of diffusion. The value of ‘n’ from korsemeyerpeppas indicates the anomalous transport concluding the drug release both by diffusion and relaxation of polymer chains. F2 formulation have shown 70.40% skin retention which was more when compared with marketed formulation, pure drug dispersion and control gel. The study concluded that sertaconazole nitrate loaded nanosponges have control release effect for prolonged period of time in the skin and it has been reported to show site targeted effect with reduced incidence of side effects and dosing frequency for the treatment of skin disorders like athelete’s foot, dermatophytosis and candidiasis.
Cite this article:
Harsha G, Naseeb Basha Shaik*, PK Lakshmi and Latha K. Formulation and Evaluation of Sertaconazole nitrate loaded Nanosponges for topical application. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(2):895-902. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00159.1
1. N. G. Raghavendra Rao, M. Srikanth Reddy. Overview on Controlled Release Dosage Form. International Journal Pharma Science. 2013; 3(4):258-269.
2. R.R. Bhagwat, I.S. Vaidhya. Novel Drug Delivery Systems: An Overview. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2017; 2320-5148.
3. Nasir Abbas, Amjad Hussain and Kausar Parveen. Formulation and evaluation of fluconazole loaded nanosponges for improved topical drug delivery. British Journal of Pharmacy. 2017; 2(2): S41-42.
4. Swarupa Arvapally, M. Harini, G. Harshitha and A. Arunkumar. Formulation and In-vitro Evaluation of Glipizide Nanosponges. American Journal of Pharm tech Research. 2017; 7(3):2249-3387.
5. Faizi Muzaffar and U. K. Singh. RP-HPLC and UV Spectrophotometric methods for estimation of Sertaconazole nitrate in microemulsion. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research. 2016; 8(7):740-745.
6. Sagar Suman Panda, Sarwar Beg, Ravi Kumar Venkata, Varaha Bera and Aruneema Gain. Spectrophotometric Determination of Sertaconazole Nitrate in Pharmaceutical Dosage Form using Quality by Design (QbD) Framework. Journal of Bioanalysis& Biomedicine. 2017; 9(5): 235-239.
7. K. Vidya, P. K. Lakshmi. Cytotoxic effect of transdermal invasomalanastrozole gel on MCF-7 breast cancer cell line. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science. 2019; 9(03):050-058.
8. Dr. Prathima Srinivas, Sreeja K. Formulation and Evaluation of Voriconazole Loaded Nanosponges for Oral and Topical Delivery. International Journal of Drug Delivery & Research. 2013; 5(1):55-69.
9. Subhash Chandra Bose Penjuri, Nagaraju Ravouru, Saritha Damineni, Sailakshmi Bns and Srikanth Reddy Poreddy. Formulation and Evaluation of Lansoprazole Loaded Nanosponges. Turkish Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences.2016; 13(3):304-310.
10. V. V. Pande, N. A. Kadnor, Rupali N. Kadam and S. A. Upadhye. Fabrication and Characterization of Sertaconazole Nitrate Microsponge as a Topical Drug Delivery System. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2015; 77(6):675-680.
11. Qurat-ul-ain Shoaib, Nasir Abbas, Muhammad Irfan, Amjad Hussain, Muhammad Sohail Arshad, Syed Zajif Hussain, Sumera Latif and Nadeem Irfan Bukhari. Development and evaluation of scaffold-based nanosponge formulation for controlled drug delivery of naproxen and ibuprofen. Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2018;17(8):1465-1474.
12. Anjali S. Kumar, Sheri P.S and M.A Kuriachan. Formulation and Evaluation of Antifungal Nanosponge Loaded Hydrogel for Topical Delivery. Journal of Pharmacy Practice and Research. 2018; 13(1): 362-379.
13. Geeta Aggarwal, Manju Nagpal and Gurpreet Kaur. Development and Comparison of Nanosponge and Niosome based Gel for the Topical Delivery of Tazarotene. Pharmaceutical Nanotechnology. 2016; (4):213-228.
14. Jyoti Pandey and Amandeep Singh. Formulation and Evaluation of Nanosponge Based Controlled Release Topical Gel Preparation of Ketoconazole. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Research. 2018; 12(3): 367-382.
15. Japan Patel, Brijesh Patel, Hardeepsingh Banwait, Kaushal Parmar and Manish Patel. Formulation and Evaluation of Topical Aceclofenac Gel Using Different Gelling Agent. International Journal of Drug Delivery & Research. 2011; 3(1):156-164.
16. G. Jilsha and Vidya Viswanad. Nanosponge Loaded Hydrogel of Cephalexin for Topical Delivery. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2015; 6(7): 2781-2789.
17. Vandana Gupta and Piyush Trivedi. Ex vivo localization and permeation of cisplatin from novel topical formulations through excised pig, goat, and mice skin and in vitro characterization for effective management of skin-cited malignancies, Artificial Cells. Nanomedicine, and Biotechnology. 2014.
18. Mahdi Abd Zair, D Prasanthi, Amoolya Chennuri, Zainab Rahi Hanthal and P K Lakshmi. Effect of Transcutol and Stearylamine on Ibuprofen Hydrophilic Gel for Transdermal Delivery. International Journal of Drug Delivery Technology. 2018; 8(1):6-14.
19. P K Lakshmi, J Sreekanth, Aishwarya Sridharan. Formulation development of fast releasing oral thin films of levocetrizine dihydrochloride with Eudragit® Epo and optimization through Taguchi orthogonal experimental design. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2011.
20. Sanjeevani S Deshkar, Kiran G Sonkamble and Jayashri G Mahore. Formulation and Optimization of Nanosuspension for Improving Solubility and Dissolution of Gemfibrozil. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2019;12(1):157-163.