Vinal Adil, Dharmendra Rajput, Shailesh Jain, Vishal Kapoor, Naveen Gupta
Vinal Adil*, Dharmendra Rajput, Shailesh Jain, Vishal Kapoor, Naveen Gupta
Department of Pharmaceutics, Madhyanchal Professional University, Bhopal, (M.P) India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2021
Lamotrigine is an anticonvulsant drug used to treat depression and bipolar disorders. It acts primarily by obstructing the sodium-dependent voltage channel, thus reducing the level of the excitatory neurotransmitter. Solid dispersion is a newer technique to improve the solubility of poorly soluble drugs using appropriate polymer. In addition, faster onset of action and protection during its administration of rapidly dissolving tablets are becoming requirements for achieving better drug absorption. These are dissolved rapidly due to the presence of saliva without any need for water upon administration into the mouth. Lamotrigine solid dispersion was prepared using PVP K30 as polymer in the ratio (1:1). A fast dissolving lamotrigine tablet was formulated using three different superdisintegrants (crosscarmellose, crospovidone, sodium starch glycolate (SSG)) in different ratios. Afterwards the formulated tablets were tested for their different parameters. The result of the in vitro dissolution study showed that the F1 formulation was the most successful as it was dissolved in a very short time containing a combination of crospovidone and SSG in the ratio (1:2). Increased disintegration time was observed with the combination of crosscarmellose and crospovidone (1:2) ratio.
Cite this article:
Vinal Adil, Dharmendra Rajput, Shailesh Jain, Vishal Kapoor, Naveen Gupta. Formulation and Development of Lamotrigine Fast Dissolving Tablet by Enhancing its Solubility through Solid Dispersion. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(2):873-878. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00155.4
1. Jeganaths S. Nair, Kumaran Senthil, K. Asha, D. Sathesh Kumar, S. Keerthi “Oral controlled drug delivery system - A review,” Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2018;11(12): 797-804.
2. Rajesh Asija, Manmeet Kaur, Sangeeta, “Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablet of Piglitazone”, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, Volume 5 issue 6 June 2012.
3. Ashish Masih, Amar Kumar, Shivam Singh, Ajay Kumar Tiwari. “Fast Dissolving Tablets”: A Review, International Journal of Current Pharmaceutical Research, Vol 9 issue 2 2017.
4. V. Claassen, “Techniques in the Behavioral and Neural Sciences”, Elsevier, 1994.
5. Fu Y, Yang S, Jeong SH, Kimura S, Park K. “Orally fast disintegrating tablets: Developments, technologies, taste-masking and clinical studies”. Crit Rev Ther Drug Carrier Sys 2004; 21: 433-76.
6. Md. Sajid Ali, Sarfaraz Ahmad, Md. Sarfaraz Alam, Nawazish Alam, Md. Intakah Alam. “Trend in fast dissolving tablets: An overview”, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 9(1) Jan, 2016.
7. Arti Mohan, Rajat Rana, “Lamotrigine Solid Dispersions for Solubility Enhancement”, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics. Jul-Sep 2016.
8. Aaisha N Sagri, Rukhsana A Rub, Anita S Kulkarni, Indrajeet Gangari, Dhananjay S Saindane, Umair I Shaik. “Dissolution enhancement of ezetimibe by solid dispersion” Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry Vol.2 Issue 3, July-Sep 2009.
9. Pooja Yadav, Amit Alexander, Hemlata Sahu, Pankaj Sahu, Shradha Devi Dwivedi, “Development of lamotrigine solid dispersion for the formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablets” Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology,11(6); June 2018.
10. V.P. Thorat, P.R. Mahaparle, I.D. Ganjari, “Fast dissolving drug delivery system of clindipine using Gehicire50/13”, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019;12(5):2185-2188.
11. M.S. Gambhire, V.M. Gambhire and K Maske, “Dissolution enhancement of clarithromycin by formation of surfactant containing microparticles”, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 3(1), Jan-March 2010; page199-201.
12. D Singh, Manju Singh, Swarnlata Saraf, V.K. Dixit, Shailendra Saraf, “Optimization and Characterization of Gentamicin Loaded Chitosan Microspheres for Effective Wound Healing”, Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education Research 2010; 44 (2):171-182.
13. Amit Alexander, Ajazuddin, Ravish J. Patel, Swarnlata Saraf, Shailendra Saraf. “Recent expansion of pharmaceutical nanotechnologies and targeting strategies in the field of phytopharmaceuticals for the delivery of herbal extracts and bioactives”, Journal of Controlled Release 2016;241: 110-124.
14. Shivangi Shukla, Dinesh Kumar Mishra, Dinesh Kumar Jain, “Designing of fast disintegrating tablets for Antihypertensive agent using superdisintergants”, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2016;9(5):527-532.
15. Amit Alexander, Ajazuddin, Ravish J. Patel, Swarnlata Saraf, Shailendra Saraf. “Comparative study of chitosan and poloxamer based thermosensitive hydrogel for the delivery of PE Gylatedmelphalan conjugates”. Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy 2015; 41(12): 1954-61.
16. Amit Alexander, Ajazuddin, J. Khan, S. Saraf, S. Saraf. “Poly (ethylene glycol)–poly (lactic-co-glycolic acid) based thermosensitive injectable hydrogels for biomedical applications”, Journal of Controlled Release 2013; 172 (3):715-29.
17. Kuldeep Kumar, Himanshu Chopra, Gyanendra Kumar Sharma. “Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablet of montelukast by using co-processed excipients”, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2019;12(11): 5543-5548.
18. Ajazuddin, Amit Alexander, J. Khan, T.K. Giri, D.K. Tripathi, S. Saraf, S. Saraf. “Advancement in stimuli triggered in situ gelling delivery for local and systemic route”, Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery 2012; 9 (12):1573-9.
19. Shinde VR, Shelake MR, Shetty SS, Chavan-Patil AB, Pore YV, Late SG. “Enhanced solubility and dissolution rate of lamotrigine by inclusion complexation and solid dispersion technique”, Research Journal of Pharmacy Pharmacology 2008;60: 1121-9.
20. S.K. Sahu, Ajazuddin, Tripti Banjare, Kailash Sahu, D.K. Tripathi, “Evaluation of orodispersible tablet of montelukast”, Research Jounral of Pharmacy and Technology, 2018:11(3):1112-1118.
21. Amit Alexander, S. Dwivedi, Ajazuddin, T.K. Giri, S. Saraf, S. Saraf, D.K. Tripathi. “Approaches for breaking the barriers of drug permeation through transdermal drug delivery”, Journal of Controlled Release 2012; 164 (1):26-40.