Haranath Chinthaginjala, Hindustan Abdul Ahad, Bhupalam Pradeepkumar, K. Sainath Gandhi, K. Kalpana G. Pushpalatha K. Sumala
Haranath Chinthaginjala*, Hindustan Abdul Ahad, Bhupalam Pradeepkumar, K. Sainath Gandhi, K. Kalpana G. Pushpalatha K. Sumala
Department of Industrial Pharmacy, Raghavendra Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (RIPER) -Autonomous, KR Palli Cross, Chiyyedu (po), Anantapur -515721, Andhra Pradesh, India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2021
The objective of the present study was to formulate and evaluate the gastro retentive floating tablets of ofloxacin and to improve its bioavailability. Ofloxacin gastroretentive floating tablets were prepared employing natural polymers using wet granulation method. Six formulations were prepared in different concentrations by using Tamarind seed polysaccharide (TSP) and pectin and evaluated for pharmaco technical parameters. FT-IR studies demonstrated that there is no evidence of interaction with drug, polymers and excipients. The prepared formulations were evaluated for the precompression parameters and were in the acceptable limits. Physical characteristics, in vitro drug release, buoyancy lag time and swelling index were performed. The in vitro drug release profile showed that formulation (F2) containing tamarind seed polysaccharide exhibited 95.4% of drug release at the end of 12 h. The in vitro drug release kinetics reveals that the formulation F2 followed zero order kinetics and the mechanism of drug release was found to be non fickian. Among all the formulations, F2 can be considered as the promising formulation in releasing the drug up to 12 h.
Cite this article:
Haranath Chinthaginjala, Hindustan Abdul Ahad, Bhupalam Pradeepkumar, K. Sainath Gandhi, K. Kalpana G. Pushpalatha K. Sumala. Formulation and In Vitro Evaluation of Gastroretentive Ofloxacin Floating Tablets using Natural Polymers. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(2):851-856. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00151.7
1. Shweta A, Javed A, Alka A. Floating drug delivery systems: A review. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech. 2005; 6(1):372-390.
2. Rajani S, Panna T, Ranendra N. In vitro and in vivo evaluation of gastro retentive floating drug delivery system of ofloxacin. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 2013; 8:191-198.
3. Gangurde HH et al. Formulation and evaluation of sustained release bioadhesive tablets of ofloxacin using 32 factorial design. Int J Pharm Investig. 2011; 1:148–156.
4. Prabhakar Reddy V, Spandana B. Formulation and evaluation of gastroretentive dosage form of ofloxacin. S. J. Pharm. Sci 2011; 4: 09-18.
5. Joseph J, Kanchalochana S. Tamarind seed polysaccharide: A promising natural excipient for pharmaceuticals. Int J Green Pharm. 2012; 6:270-278.
6. Poonam Y, Parijat P, Sonia P. Pectin as Natural Polymer: An overview. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10: 1225-1229.
7. Haranath C et al. Formulation and in vitro evaluation of fast dissolving tablets of Lacosamide using natural super disintegrants. Int J Pharm Sci and Res. 2019; 10: 2769-76.
8. Vijay D, Suparna S. Development and evaluation of ofloxacin floating tablets using natural polymer: sterculia foetida Linn. gum. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2016; 8:356-360.
9. Rashmi M, Arora SC. Tamarind Seed Polysaccharide and its modifications. Int J Pharma. 2014; 6: 412-420.
10. Niraj G, Shrivastava VK. Prepare and evaluate floating gastro retentive tablets of Ofloxacin. Int J of Scientific Research. 2016; 2:29-34.
11. Syam Prasad B et al. Evaluation of different synthetic and natural polymers as protective layer on highly soluble and high dose drug metoprolol succinate for manufacturing of control release multi unit pellets tablets. Int J App Pharm. 2018; 10: 69-76.
12. Shajan A et al. Formulation and evaluation of gastro-retentive drug delivery system containing a combination of glipizide and metformin hydrochloride. Asian J Pharm Clin Res. 2016; 9:235-40.
13. Abdulahad H, Pradeepkumar B, Haranath C. Fabrication and evaluation of glimepiride Cordia dichotoma G. Forst fruit mucilage sustained release matrix tablets. International Journal of Chemical Sciences. 2009; 7: 2555-60.
14. Arunachalam A, Mazumder A. The outcome of formulation and in vitro release studies of levothyroxine sodium tablets. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology. 2011;1:33-39.
15. Ramu, B Shanmuga P. Formulation and evaluation of floating osmotic tablets of nizatidine. J App Pharm. 2015; 8: 1-7.
16. Vivek D, Vandana A. Formulation and evaluation of effervescent floating tablets of amlodipine besylate with natural polymer chitosan. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Scientific Innovation. 2012; 1: 13-18.
17. Atul Mansing K et al. Formulation and evaluation of anti-ulcer floating tablet using swellable polymers. International Journal of Drug Delivery. 2014; 6: 244-253.
18. Prasanthi S, Vidyavathi M. Optimization of valsartan floating tablets by 32 factorial design. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2017; 11: 625-634.
19. Lokesh K, Virendra S. Formulation and evaluation of gastro retentive floating tablets of Terbutaline sulphate. International Journal of Pharma Sciences and Research. 2014; 5: 639-645.
20. Saigeethika S, Singhvi G. Formulation and evaluation of floating tablets of ofloxacin. Int J Pharm Sci Res. 2012; 3: 4291-4296.
21. Manoj kumar S et al. Formulation, optimization and evaluation of floating tablets clarithromycin. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2014; 7: 320-326.
22. Suresh K et al. Design and evaluation of an oral floating matrix tablet of salbutamol sulphate. Trop J Pharm Res. 2012; 11: 569-576.
23. Padmavathy J, Saravanan D. Formulation and evaluation of ofloxacin floating tablets using HPMC. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2011; 3: 170¬-173.
24. Saritha D et al. Formulation and evaluation of gastroretentive floating tablets of domperidone maleate. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science. 2012; 2: 68-73.
25. Haranath C et al. Formulation and in vitro evaluation of floating tablets of dicloxacillin sodium using different polymers. J Young Pharm. 2019; 11: 248-53.
26. Navjot K et al. Preparation and evaluation of floating tablets of pregabalin. Drug Dev Ind Pharm. 2015; 1: 1-7.
27. Anilkumar J et al. Formulation and evaluation of an oral floating tablet of cephalexin. Indian J. Pharm. Edu. Res. 2010; 44: 1-10.
28. Bansod YB et al. Quality by design approach for development of verapamil hydrochloride floating matrix tablet. American Journal of Pharm Tech Research. 2014; 4:890-904.