An electrochemical behaviour of Catechol on different modified electrodes was described using Graphite electrode (GE), GE/Poly Furfurylamine (PFA), GE/ Multiwalled Carbon Nano Tubes (MWCNTs) and GE/MWCNTs/PFA electrodes. Differential Pulse Voltammetric technique was used compained with three–electrode detector system consist of working electrode either bare or modified Graphite electrodes (GE/PFA, GE/MWCNTs and GE/MWCNTs/PFA), a silver /silver chloride saturated potassium chloride (Ag/AgCl.sat.KCl) as reference electrode and 1.0 mm platinum wire was used as an auxiliary electrode. Optimum conditions were tested, the effect of pH was studied and the calibration curves were constructed, a linear relations between current and concentration were obtained. The developed electrodes were examined for simultaneous determination of Catechol (CC) and Hyroquinone (HQ) in mixture and a better separation peaks were obtained with developed (GE/MWCNT/PFA) electrode.
Cite this article:
Rana H. Al–Hyali, Amer Th. Al –Taee. A New GE / MWCNTs / PFA Modified electrode for Simultaneous Determination of Catechol and Hydroquinone. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(2):828-832. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00146.3
1. Ahammad A, Rahman M, Xu G, Kim S, and Lee J. Highly sensitive and simultaneous determination of hydroquinone and catechol at poly(thionine) modiﬁed glassy carbon electrode. Electrochimica Acta.2011; 56:5266 .
2. Suresh.S, Srivastava V, and Mishra I. Adsorption of catechol, resorcinol, hydroquinone, and their derivatives: a review. I. M. International Journal of Energy and Environmental Energy Engineering .2012; 3:1 .
3. Kerzic P, Liu W, Pan M, Fu H, Zhou Y, Schnatter A, et al. Analysis of hydroquinone and catechol in peripheral blood of benzene-exposed workers. Chemico-Biological Interactions.2010; 184 :182–188.
4. Du H, Ye J, Zhang J, Huang X, Yu C.A voltametric sensor based on graphene-modified electrode for simultaneous determination of catechol and hydroquinone. Journal of Electronical Chemistry. 2011; 650 ( 2) :209–213.
5. Xie T, Liu Q, Sh Yi, Liu Q, Simultaneous determination of positional isomers of benzenediols by capillary zone electrophoresis with square wave amperometric detection. Journal of Chromatography A.2006;1109 :317–321.
6. Lin C, Sheu J, Wu.H, Huang Y. Determination of hydroquinone in cosmetic emulsion using microdialysis sampling coupled with high-performance liquid chromatography. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2005; 38 : 414 - 419.
7. Guan N, Zeng Z, Wang Y, Fu E, Cheng J, Open tubular capillary electrochromatography in fused-silica capillaries chemically bonded with macrocyclic dioxopolyamine, Analitica Chimca Acta. 2000; 418 (2):145 – 151.
8. Desiderio C, Ossicini L, Fanali S. Analysis of hydroquinone and some of its ethers by using capillary electrochromatography. Journal of Chromatography Analysis.2000;887 :489 – 496.
9. Allen D, El Rassi Z, Capillary electrochromatography with monolithic silica columns III. Preparation of hydrophilic silica monoliths having surface-bound cyano groups: chromatographic characterization and application to the separation of carbohydrates, nucleosides, nucleic acid bases and other neutral polar species. Journal of Chromatography Analysis. 2004;1029 :239 – 247.
10. Marrubini G, Calleri E, Coccini T, Castoldi A, Manzo L. Direct analysis of phenol, catechol and hydroquinone in human urine by coupled-column HPLC with fluorimetric Detection. Chromatographia. 2005;62 :25 - 31.
11. Penner N, Nesterenko P. Simultaneous determination of dihydroxybenzenes, aminophenols and phenylenediamines in hair dyes by high-performance liquid chromatography on hypercross-linked polystyrene. Analyst .2000;125,:1249 – 1254.
12. Moldoveanu S, Kiser M, Gas chromatography/mass spectrometry versus liquid chromatography/fluorescence detection in the analysis of phenols in mainstream cigarette smoke. Journal of Chromatography Analysis. 2007; 1141 :90 – 97.
13. Fan S, Zhang L, Lin J. Post-column detection of benzenediols and 1,2,4benzenetriol based on acidic potassium permanganate chemiluminescence. Talanta. 2006; 68:646 – 652.
14. Guo H, Huang J, Chen P, Liu Y, Hou H, You T. Simultaneous determination of catechol and hydroquinone using electro spun carbon nano fibers modified electrode, Sensors Actuators B.2012;163:179–185.
15. Qi H, Zhang C, Simultaneous determination of hydroquinone and catechol at a glassy carbon electrode modified with multiwall carbon nano tubes. Electroanalysis. 2005; 17: 832–838.
16. Justyna S , José Jara-Palacios M ,José Miguel Hernández-Hierro, Francisco J. Heredia Phenolic compounds and antioxidant activity of twelve grape cultivars measured by chemical and electrochemical methods. European Food Research and Technology. 2018; 244(11): 1933–194.
17. X. Feng, W. Gao, S. Zhou, Y. Shi, H. Huang, W. Song . Discrimination of simultaneous determination of hydroquinone and catechol by tuneable polymerization of imidazolium-based ionic liquid on multi-walled carbon nano tube surfaces. Analitica Chimica Acta.2013;805:36–44.
18. X. Tanga, Y. Liua, H. Houb, T. Youa, Electrochemical determination of L-Tryptophan, L-Tyrosine and L-Cysteine using electrospun carbon nanofibers modified electrode.Talanta.2010;80: 2182–2186 .
19. Rosangela. de Carvalho .M,C. L Mello, Kubota L. Simultaneous determination of phenol isomers in binary mixtures by differential pulse voltammetry using carbon fibre electrode and neural network with pruning as a multivariate calibration tool. Analytica Chimica Acta .2000;420 :109–121.
20. Ding Y, Lin W, Wn Q, Wang X . Direct simultaneous determination of dihydroxybenzene isomersat C-nanotube-modified electrodes by derivative voltammetry. Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry. 2005; 575:275–280.
21. Qi H, Zhang C ,Simultaneous Determination of Hydroquinone and Catechol at a Glassy Carbon Electrode Modified with Multiwall Carbon Nanotubes. Sensors and. Actuators.B.2009;136:113.
22. Wang Z, Li S, Lv Q. Simultaneous determination of dihydroxybenzene isomers at single-wall carbon nanotube electrode, Sensors and Actuators. 2007;127( 2): 420-425.
23. Wang S, Li Y, Zhao X , Wang J , Han J ,Wang T. Electrochemical detection of catechol at integrated carbon nanotubes electrodes. Diamond and Related Materials .2007; 16: 248-252.
24. Zhang D, Peng Y, Qi H, Gao Q, Zhang C, Application of Mulltielectrode array modified with carbon nanotubes to simultaneous amperometric determination of dihydroxybenzene isomers. Sensors and Actuators, B.2009; 136 :113.
25. Xu Z, Chen X, Qu X , Dong S .Electrocatalytic Oxidation of Catechol at Multi-Walled Carbon Nanotubes Modified Electrode. Electroanalysis. 2004;16:684.
26. Lei Y, Zhao G, Liu M, Xiao X, Tang Y, Li D, Simple and Feasible Simultaneous Determination of Three Phenolic Pollutants on Boron –Doped Diamond Film Electrode. Electroanalysis. 2007; 19 : 1933.
27. Lv M, Wei M, Rong F, Terashima C, Fujishima A, Gu Z. Electrochemical Detection of Catechol Based on As-Grown and Nanograss Array Boron-Doped Diamond Electrodes. Electroanalysis. 2010;22:199.
28. Ahmmad A, Rahman M, XU G, KSim S, Lee J. Highly sensitive and simultaneous determination of hydroquinone and catechol at poly(thionine) modified glassy carbon electrode. Electrochimica Acta. 2011;56 :5266.
29. Erdogdu G, Karagözler A. Investigation and comparison of the electrochemical behavior of some organic and biological molecules at various conducting polymer electrodes. Talanta. 1997; 44: 2011.
30. Sha Y, Qian L, Bai X, Yang X .Multilayer ﬁlms of carbon nanotubes and redox polymer on screen-printed carbon electrodes for electrocatalysis of ascorbic acid. Talanta. 2006;70:556-560.
31. Jin G, Huang F, Li W, Yu S, Zhang S, Kong J. Sensitive detection of trifluoperazine using a poly-ABSA/SWNTs film-modified glassy carbon electrode. Talanta. 2008;74:815-820.
32. Štulík K. Activation of solid electrodes.Electroanalysis.1992;4(9) : 829–834.
33. A. Murrin, Killar A, M. Smyth. Electrochemical Characterization of Commercial and Home-Made Screen-Printed Carbon Electrodes. Analytical Letters. 2003, 36( 9) : 2027–2028.
34. Fu Y ,Lin T ,Chen T , Wang L. Study on the poly furfural film modified glassy carbon electrode and its application in polyphenols determination. Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry. 2012; 687: 25-29.
35. Alothman Z, Bukhari N, Wabidur S, Haider S. Simulation electrochemical determination of dopamine and acetaminophen using multiwall carbon nano tubes modified glassy carbo electrode. Sensor and Actuators B. 2010;146:314-320.