Tahreem Fathima, S. Rajeshkumar, M. Nagalingam
Tahreem Fathima1, S. Rajeshkumar1*, M. Nagalingam2
1Department of Pharmacology, Saveetha Dental College, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Chennai - 600077, Tamil Nadu, India.
2Department of Biochemistry, Indo - American College, Cheyyar, Thiruvannamalai-604407, Tamil Nadu, India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2021
Aim: To determine the synthesis of silver nanoparticles of Symplocos racemosa and its antifungal activity on Candida albicans. Introduction: Fungi has the ability to adapt any stress condition and accordingly production of virulence factor and encrypting gene arrangements, gives some of them a unique ability to develop resistance against traditional fungicides up roaring for an effective and immediately strategy against fungal pathogens. The vast majority of nano-sized agents are metal nanoparticles such as zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, magnesium oxide or silver nanoparticles. They are attractive especially due to their small size, large surface to volume ratio, chemically altered physical properties, unique electrical, thermal and mechanical features. Candidiasis refers to an infection of skin, mucosa and rarely of the internal organ caused by yeast like fungus Candida albicans. Symplocos racemosa also called as lodhra belongs to family symplocaeae. The important chemical constituents of S. racemosa are flavonoids, tannins, loturine, loturidine and collotourine. Materials and Methods: Preparation of plant extract is done by collection of plant extract in the form of powder. The prepared nanoparticles analysed for its antimicrobial activity against oral pathogens. Results and Discussion: Normal value of zone of inhibition of bacteria for antibiotics was compared with zone of inhibition of each microorganism. The results from this study proved that Symplocos racemosa plant extract acts as an antifungal and antibacterial agent. Conclusion: The research proves that silver nanoparticles of Symplocos racemosa has efficiently worked against Candida albicans which promotes the capability of Symplocos racemosa plants to be used as herbal remedies to treat fungal pathogens.
Cite this article:
Tahreem Fathima, S. Rajeshkumar, M. Nagalingam. Green Synthesis of Silver Nanoparticles using Symplocos racemosa and its Antifungal Activity against Candida albicans. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(2):775-778. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00135.9
1. Madhuree Kumari, Ved P Giri, Shipra Pandey, Manoj Kumar, Ratna Katiyar, Chandra S. Nautiyal, Aradhana Mishra. An insight into the mechanism of antifungal activity of biogenic nanoparticles than their chemical counterparts. Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology. 157(2019) 45-52.
2. Q. Chaudhary, M. Scotter, J. Blackburn, B. Ross, A. Boxall, L. Castle, R. Aitken, R. Watkins. Applications and implications of nanotechnologies for the food sector, Food Addit. Contam. A.25(3) (2008) 241-258.
3. M. Malini, M. Ponnanikajamideen, C. Malarkodi, G. Annadurai and S. Rajeshkumar (2016) Preparation and Characterization of Bilateral Composite (Metal-Polymer) for Antibacterial Activity Against Wound Pathogen International Journal of Current Pharmaceutical Review and Research; 7(2); 90-95.
4. Menon, Soumya, Shrudhi Devi KS, R. Santhiya, S. Rajesh kumar, and Venkat Kumar. "Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism." Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 170 (2018): 280-292.
5. Agarwal H, Menon S, Kumar SV, Rajesh kumar S. Mechanistic study on antibacterial action of zinc oxide nanoparticles synthesized using green route. Chemico-Biological Interactions. (2018), 25;286:60-70.
6. Rajeshkumar, S., and Poonam Naik. "Synthesis and biomedical applications of cerium oxide nanoparticles–a review." Biotechnology Reports 17 (2018): 1-5.
7. Karthiga P., Ponnanikajamideen M., R. Samuel Rajendran, G Annadurai and S. Rajeshkumar (2018): Characterization and toxicology evaluation of zirconium oxide nanoparticles on the embryonic development of zebrafish, Daniorerio, Drug and Chemical Toxicology, DOI: 10.1080/01480545.2018.1523186.
8. Ahamed, M.I.N., Rajeshkumar, S., Ragul, V., Anand, S., Kaviyarasu, K., Chromium remediation and toxicity assessment of nano zerovalent iron against contaminated lake water sample (Puliyanthangal Lake, Tamilnadu, India), South African Journal of Chemical Engineering (2018), doi: 10.1016/j.sajce.2018.04.004.
9. Menon, S., Rajeshkumar, S., and Kumar, V. (2017). A review on biogenic synthesis of gold nanoparticles, characterization, and its applications. Resource-Efficient Technologies, 3(4), 516-527.
10. Santhosh kumar J, Venkat Kumar S Rajeshkumar S, Phyto-assisted synthesis, characterization and applications of gold nanoparticles – A review Biochemistry and Biophysics Reports 11 (2017) 46–57.
11. Rajeshkumar S and Bharath L V Mechanism of plant-mediated synthesis of silver nanoparticles - A review on biomolecules involved, characterisation and antibacterial activity Chemico-Biological Interactions 273 (2017) 219-227.
12. Agarwal, H., Kumar, S. V., and Rajeshkumar, S. (2017). A review on green synthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles–an eco-friendly approach. Resource-Efficient Technologies, 3(4), 406-413.
13. Vijayabaskaran M., Babu G., Venkateshwara raurthy N, Yuvaraja K.R, Sivakumar P, Jaykar B. In-vitro antioxidant potential of ethanolic bark extract of Symplocos racemosa Rox. B, International Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, September 2010, vol 2, Issue no 3, 320-329.
14. Nadkarni K M, Indian Materia Medica, Ramdas Bhatkal for Popular Prakashan Pvt. Ltd. 3rd ed Mumbai, 2002, PP 1186-1188.
15. Rajeshkumar S, Malarkodi C, Vanaja M, Annadurai G Anticancer and enhanced antimicrobial activity of biosynthesizd silver nanoparticles against clinical pathogens Journal of Molecular Structure 1116 (2016) 165-173.
16. Santhoshkumar. J, Sowmya B, Venkat Kumar S, Rajeshkumar S* Toxicology evaluation and Antidermatophytic activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using leaf extract of Passifloracaerulea South African Journal of Chemical Engineering (2019) 29: 17-23.
17. Soumya Menon, Happy Agarwal, Rajeshkumar S, Venkat Kumar S Anticancer assessment of biosynthesized silver nanoparticles using Mucunapruriens seed extract on lung cancer treatment 2018, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2018, 11 (9): 3887 - 3891.
18. P Karthiga, S Rajeshkumar, G Annadurai Mechanism of larvicidal activity of antimicrobial silver nanoparticles synthesized using novel Garcinia mangostana bark extract Journal of Cluster science (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10876-018-1441-z
19. Rajeshkumar S Karpagambigai S, Jacquline Rosy P and Venkat Kumar S (2017) Controlling of Disease Causing Pathogens Using Silver Nanoparticles Synthesized by One Step Green Procedure Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science (2018) 8 (01); 142-146.
20. Aditya Jain, S Rajeshkumar, Anitha Roy. Anti inflammatory activity of Silver nanoparticles synthesised using Cumin oil. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(6): 2790-2793.
21. Anubhav Das, Anitha Roy , S. Rajeshkumar , T. Lakshmi Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using star fruit leaves and its anti-inflammatory activity Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(7):3507-3510.
22. Happy Agarwal, Soumya Menon, S. Rajeshkumar, S. Venkat Kumar Green synthesis of silver nanoparticle using Kalanchoe pinnata leaf extract and its antibacterial effect against Gram-positive and Gram-negative species 2018 Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2018, 11 (9):3964 – 3968
23. J Meghana Reddy, Roy Anitha, S Rajeshkumar, Thangavelu Lakshmi Characterisation of Cumin oil mediated silver nanoparticles using UV-visible spectrophotometer and TEM Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(10):4931-4933.
24. J. Sujatha, P. Suriya, S. Rajeshkumar. Biosynthesis and Characterization of silver Nanoparticles by Actinomycetes isolated from Agriculture field and its application on Antimicrobial activity. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(6): 1963-1968.
25. S. Vignesh, Anitha Roy, S. Rajeshkumar , T. Lakshmi Evaluation of the Antimicrobial activity of Cumin oil mediated silver nanoparticles on Oral microbes. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2019; 12(8):3709-3712.
26. Soumya Menon, Happy Agarwal, Rajeshkumar S, Venkat Kumar S Anticancer assessment of biosynthesized silver nanoparticles using Mucunapruriens seed extract on lung cancer treatment 2018, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2018, 11 (9): 3887 - 3891.
27. T Pranati, Roy Anitha, S Rajeshkumar, Thangavelu Lakshmi Preparation of Silver nanoparticles using Nutmeg oleoresin and its Antimicrobial activity against Oral pathogens Research J. Pharm. and Tech. June 2019, 12(6): 2799-2803
28. Trinaina Somas Kandhan1, Anitha Roy2, Dr. Lakshmi. T 3 , S. Rajeshkumar Green synthesis of Rosemary oleoresin mediated silver nanoparticles and its effect on Oral pathogens Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(11):5579-5582.
29. U. Kanagavalli, A. Mohamed Sadiq, Sathishkumar, S. Rajeshkumar. Plant Assisted Synthesis of Silver Nanoparticles Using Boerhaaviadiffusa Leaves Extract and Evolution of Antibacterial Activity. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2016; 9(8):1064-1068.