Vandana Jain, Leena Tandel, Revati Sonone
Vandana Jain*, Leena Tandel, Revati Sonone
Department of Quality Assurance, Oriental College of Pharmacy, Sanpada, Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra 400705, India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2021
The present paper describes a novel, isocratic, simple, precise, accurate, and robust reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatographic (RP-HPLC) method development and validation for simultaneous quantitative estimation of berberine and aloe-emodin in polyherbal formulation. The proposed chromatographic estimation was carried out isocratically using Cosmosil C18 (250 × 4.6mm) SH 5.0µm column, the mobile phase was a mixture of 0.05 M potassium dihydrogen phosphate buffer (pH adjusted to 2.5 using ortho-phosphoric acid): acetonitrile in a ratio of 60:40 v/v with a flow rate of 1 mL/min and column oven adjusted to 30°Cwith injection volume 10µL. The ultraviolet (UV) detection was carried out at 225 nm. The retention time of berberine and aloe-emodin was found to 4.78±0.2 min and 15.49±0.2 min respectively. Calibration curves were linear over the tested concentration range of 4 to 20µg/mL. The present study reveals that this novel isocratic HPLC method is well validated, reliable and can be used for routine analysis of berberine and aloe-emodin in polyherbal formulations containing these phytoconstituents as one of the ingredients.
Cite this article:
Vandana Jain, Leena Tandel, Revati Sonone. Novel Isocratic RP-HPLC Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Berberine and Aloe-emodin. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(2):657-661. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00117.7
1. Ong ES. Extraction methods and chemical standardization of botanicals and herbal preparations. Journal of Chromatography B-analytical Technologies in the Biomedical and Life Sciences.2004;812: 23-33.
2. Singh A, et al. Studies on Standardization of Tephrosia purpurea Linn – an important Ayurvedic Drug. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry.2011;4(5): 726-728.
3. Wanjari AS, Wanjari DS. Journal. An Overview on Herbal Medicine. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2019;11(1): 14-17.
4. Shinde PS, et al. Herbal drug standardization and its implication - A current need of time. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry.2016;8(2): 93-100.
5. Wanjari AS, et al. Evaluation and Standardization of Herbal Formulation. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry.2016;8(3): 133-140.
6. Jadhav S, Sawale J. Standardization of Poly-herbal Formulations: A Comprehensive Review. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry.2016;8(2): 85-89.
7. Farooqui NA, et al. Analytical Techniques in quality evaluation of herbal drugs. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2014;4(3): 112-117.
8. Neag MA, et al. Berberine: botanical occurrence, traditional uses, extraction methods, and relevance in cardiovascular, metabolic, hepatic, and renal disorders. Frontiers in Pharmacology.2018;9:1-30.
9. Ragavee A, et al. Evaluation of Bioactive Constituents and Antioxidant Activity of Mucilage Isolated from Tinospora cordifolia. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology.2018;11(7): 2747-2751.
10. Jadhav AS, et al. Review on Aloe Vera is used in Medicinal Plant. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2020;10(1): 26-30.
11. Kadam TV, et al. An overview: Aloe vera. Research Journal of Topical and Cosmetic Sciences.2014;5(2): 62-67.
12. EtusimPE, et al. A Study on Antibacterial activities of Aloe vera Leaves, Stems and Roots on some selected organisms. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry.2013;6(6): 570-572.
13. Jain V, et al. Novel RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of and rographolide and berberine in polyherbal formulation. International Journal of Ayurvedic and Herbal Medicine. 2019;9(6): 3679-3686.
14. Tandel L, et al. A novel RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of aloe-emodin and piperine in ayurvedic formulation. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2020;13(2): 51-54.
15. Du Z, Fan C. Simultaneous determination of five active ingredients in yiqing tablet by HPLC. Asian Journal of Chemistry. 2013;25(12): 6975-6977.
16. Wu TY, et al. Rapid HPLC quantification approach for detection of active constituents in modern combinatorial formula, San-Huang-Xie-Xin-Tang. Frontiers in Pharmacology.2016;7: 1-15.
17. Qu H, et.al. Simultaneous determination of eight active components in chinese medicine yiqing capsule using high-performance liquid chromatography. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2007;43(1): 66-72.
18. Huang YB, et al. Simultaneous quantification of twelve bioactive components in San-Huang-Xie-Xin-Tang by HPLC. Phytochemical Analysis. 2006; 17(6): 439-446.
19. International Conference on Harmonization of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human use. Validation of Analytical Procedures: Text and Methodology ICH Q2 (R1); 2005.