Sianiwati Goenharto, Elly Rusdiana, Alif Yansyah
Sianiwati Goenharto, Elly Rusdiana, Alif Yansyah
Department of Health, Faculty of Vocational Studies, Universitas Airlangga, Surabaya, Indonesia.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 12,
Year - 2021
Objective: This study was intended to quantify the duration of finishing and polishing of removable orthodontic appliances by Dental Technology Study Program students. Material and Methods: This descriptive observational study employed total sampling. Fifteen of 6th semester students participated in the study, each of them producing three removable orthodontic appliances with the duration of finishing and polishing being recorded. Data was analyzed descriptively. Results: The duration of the finishing and polishing of orthodontic plates by Dental Technology Study Program students varied widely from 9 to 420 minutes with a mean of 71.20 minutes, both between individual students and between the first, second and third orthodontic plates. Conclusion: It is concluded that the duration of finishing and polishing in the fabrication of an orthodontic plate by the students was between 9 and 420 minutes. The duration varied depending on the design of the appliances, the skill of the students in processing or when performing the finishing and polishing.
Cite this article:
Sianiwati Goenharto, Elly Rusdiana, Alif Yansyah. The duration of finishing and polishing of acrylic removable orthodontic appliances in the Dental Technology Study Program at Universitas Airlangga, Surabaya, Indonesia. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(12):6527-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.01128
Sianiwati Goenharto, Elly Rusdiana, Alif Yansyah. The duration of finishing and polishing of acrylic removable orthodontic appliances in the Dental Technology Study Program at Universitas Airlangga, Surabaya, Indonesia. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(12):6527-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.01128 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-12-58
1. Kim HS, Kim JS, Lee EK, Jeong MK. The mechanical properties of orthodontic resin according to the polymerization method and wire inserting technique. Int J Clin Prev Den 2009; 5: 165–176.
2. Alam MK. A to Z orthodontics removable appliance. PPSP Publication, Kota Bharu. 2012.
3. Al-Jammali ZM. Comparison of the maximum bite force in patient with heat cure acrylic and flexible partial dentures (Free end extension). Asian J Pharm Tech 2013; 3 (3): 98-103.
4. Kwon TY, Ha JY, Chun JN, Son JS, Kim KH. Effects of prepolymerized particle size and polymerization kinetics on volumetric shrinkage of dental modeling resins. Biomed Res Int 2014; 914739. https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/914739.
5. Park SA, Gwak S. Choi S. Assessment of occupational symptoms and chemical exposures for nail salon technicians in Daegu City, Korea. J Prev Med Public Health 2014; 47: 169–176.
6. Hariyani N, Berniyanti T, Setyowati D. Effects of occupational environmental controls on the level of Co, Ni and Cr among dental technicians. Int J Environ Sci Dev 2015; 6: 643–647.
7. Ergün R, Ergün D, Evci̇k E, Ergan B. Evaluation of dental technician’s pneumoconiosis using chest X-ray and HRCT: correlation between radiological and functional findings. Turkish J Med Sc 2017; 47: 252–259.
8. Krishnan MM, Abirami V. Quality of work life among employees in textile industry with reference to Coimbatore District. Asian J Management 2017; 8(3): 572-576.
9. Sayankar VN, Kale MK. To study development of management information system of computers for use in quality control system in a fabric industry. Asian J Management 2011; 2(3): 115-118.
10. Kumar BSG, Nambi GMA Conceptual outlook on time management at small scale industries, Puducherry. Asian J Management 2014; 5(3): 325-328.
11. Serra G, de Morais LS, Elias CN. Surface morphology changes of acrylic resins during finishing and polishing phases. Dental Press J Orthod 2013;18, 26–30.
12. de Oliveira RE, Nogueira FN, Mattos BSC. Porosity, residual monomer and water sorption of conventional heat-cured, microwave-cured and cross-linked acrylic resins. Clin Lab Res Dent 2014; 20:137–144.
13. Orsi IA, Andrade VG. Effect of chemical disinfectants on the transverse strength of heat-polymerized acrylic resins submitted to mechanical and chemical polishing. J Prosthet Dent 2004; 92: 382–388.
14. Alves PVM, Lima-Filho RMA, Telles E, Bolognese A. Surface roughness of acrylic resins after different curing and polishing techniques. Angle Orthod 2007; 77, 528–531.
15. Al-Rifaiy MQ. The effect of mechanical and chemical polishing techniques on the surface roughness of denture base acrylic resins. Saudi Dent J 2010; 22: 13–7..
16. Al-Kheraif A. A. A. The effect of mechanical and chemical polishing techniques on the surface roughness of heat-polymerized and visible light-polymerized acrylic denture base resins. Saudi Dent J. 26, 56–62 (2014).
17. Das PA, Hussain SMAM, Karan YI. A thorough asset to safety in construction industry. Int J Tech 2015; 5(2): 187-191.
18. Singh AN, Chauhan SS, Mehendale S. Environmental awareness in small and medium scale enterprises- A methodological and thematic review. Asian Journal of Management 2018; 9(1): 779-784.
19. Tan HL, Faisal M, Soo CI, Ban AYL, Manap RA, Hasan TM. Dental technician pneumoconiosis mimicking pulmonary tuberculosis: a case report. BMC Pulm Med 2016; 16: 131.
20. Nasir S, Swalehin M. Hazardous working conditions of child labour in Lac Bangle Industry of Laad Bazaar (Hyderabad). Research J Humanities and Social Sciences 2011; 2(3): 106-109.
21. Krishnan S, Pandian S. Dental office design and waste care management in infection control. Int J Pedod Rehabil 2016; 1(1): 37-41.
22. Petrović D, Krunić N, Kostić M. Risk factors and preventive measures for occupational diseases in dental technicians. Vojnosanit Pregl 2013; 70: 959–963.
23. Ishikawa S, Ishikawa H, Shindo T, Yoshida T, Shimoyama Y, Satomi T, Fujii S, Hamamoto Y, Iino M, Fukao A. Effects of occupational environmental controls and work management on chromosomal damage in dental technicians in Japan. Int J Hyg Environ Health 2013; 216 (1): 100–107.
24. Gupta S, Rani S, Garg S. Infection control knowledge and practice: A cross-sectional survey on dental laboratories in dental institutes of North India. J Indian Prosthodont So 2017;17 (4): 348-354.