Haider N. Yahya, Zahraa A. Okhti, Ruqaya M. Al-Ezzy, Ahmed A. Mhawesh, Afnan A. Alsaed
Haider N. Yahya1, Zahraa A. Okhti2*, Ruqaya M. Al-Ezzy3, Ahmed A. Mhawesh4, Afnan A. Alsaed5
1Plant Biotechnology department, College of Biotechnology, Al-Nahrain University, Iraq.
2Clinical Laboratory Sciences department, College of Pharmacy, Mustansiriyah University, Iraq.
3Molecular and Medical Biotechnology Department, College of Biotechnology, Al-Nahrain University, Iraq.
4,5Department of Molecular and Medical Biotechnology, College of Biotechnology, Al-Nahrain University, Iraq.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 12,
Year - 2021
Herbal medicinal products can contain whole or partially prepared plant components from plant leaves, bark, stems, flowers and seeds.They are administered orally, inhaled or directly applied in the skin. Ruta chalepensis is a wild herb of the Mediterranean region used by many countries in herbal medicine. The existence of bioactive molecules responsible for their pharmacological properties has been shown by phytochemical screening. Results of kidney protective activity of plant. Showed that: for total cholesterol, the effect was dose dependant (50 and 100 mg\kg) in which the plant decreased it in compared to positive and negative groups (162.1±1.83 and 154.6±1.11 mg\dl) compared to (202.1±1.13 and 167.5±2.96 mg\dl) respectively. For total protein, creatinin and albumin the plant also had the ability to keep it near control groups compared to CCL4group.While the results of interaction groups indicated the ability of plant to provide protection against CCL4 damage. the plant possessed the ability to keep testosterone, progesterone and estrogen hormones level near normal in compared to CCL4 treated group (2.96±0.03, 1.93±0.01 and 3.63±0.04 ng\dl); (11.51±4.12, 9.85±2.18 and 11.78±3.42 ng\ml); (29.07±7.21, 30.11±9.11 and 30.67±8.98 ng\ml) for 50,100 mg\kg and negative control respectively. While for interaction group the results showed the ability of plant to counteract the damaged caused by CCL4 (1.67±0.01, 2.54±0.02); (10.42±2.21, 13.65±4.37); (39.74±10.13, 35.45±9.91) for testosterone, progesterone and estrogen hormones in Ruta chalepensis +CCL4 at dose (50 +0.02%) and (100+0.02%) respectively. All results of histo-architecture for kidney and testis showed the ability of plant to counteract any necrosis and abnormality caused by CCL4.
Cite this article:
Haider N. Yahya, Zahraa A. Okhti, Ruqaya M. Al-Ezzy, Ahmed A. Mhawesh, Afnan A. Alsaed. Protective activity of Ruta chalepensis methanolic extract against nephrotoxicity and testicular damage induced by Carbon tetrachloride on albino male mice. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(12):6340-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.01096
Haider N. Yahya, Zahraa A. Okhti, Ruqaya M. Al-Ezzy, Ahmed A. Mhawesh, Afnan A. Alsaed. Protective activity of Ruta chalepensis methanolic extract against nephrotoxicity and testicular damage induced by Carbon tetrachloride on albino male mice. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(12):6340-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.01096 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-12-26
1. Al-Ezzy RM, Al Anee RS, Kathum OA. Hepatoprotective effects of Achillea millefolium methanolic extract on carbon tetrachloride induced hepatotoxicity on albino male mice. International Journal of Advanced Research in Biological Sciences. 2017;4(8):98-109.doi.org/10.22192/ijarbs.2017.04.08.015
2. Ibraheem RM, Mhawesh AA, Abood KW. Estimation of the whole flavonoid, antioxidant, anti bacterial challenge concerning viola odorata (banafsha) methanolic extract. The Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Science. 2018;49(4):655 566- 551. doi.org/10.36103/ijas.v49i4.75
3. Ibraheem Na, Al-Ezy Rm, Al-Yasand Mc, Al-Naimy Eh. The Effect of Lactobacillus Acidophilus Concentrated Filtrate on Sperm Head Abnormality In Albino Male Mice. Al-Nahrain Journal of Science. 2009;12(4).
4. Vikrant Arya, Raneev Thakur. Plant Saponins A Recent Update. Asian J. Research Chem.2013;6(9):871-876.
5. Stea S, Beraudi A, De Pasquale D. Essential oils for complementary treatment of surgical patients: state of the art. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2014, 726341.doi: 10.1155/2014/726341.
6. Ratheesh M, Shyni GL, Helen A. Methanolic extract of Ruta graveolens L. inhibits inflammation and oxidative stress in adjuvant induced model of arthritis in rats. Inflammopharmacology. 2009; 17(2), 100–105.doi.org/10.1007/s10787-009-8044-0.
7. Fu W, Chen J, Cai Y, Lei Y, Chen L, Pei L, Zhou D, Liang X, Ruan J. Antioxidant, free radical scavenging, anti-inflammatory and hepatoprotective potential of the extract from Parathelypteris nipponica (Franch. et Sav.) Ching. Journal of ethnopharmacology. 2010;9;130(3):521-8. doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2010.05.039
8. Reitman S, Frankel S. A colorimetric method for the determination of serum glutamic oxalacetic and glutamic pyruvic transaminases. American journal of clinical pathology. 1957; 1;28(1):56-63. doi.org/10.1093/ajcp/28.1.56.
9. Shamsee ZR, Al-Saffar AZ, Al-Shanon AF, Al-Obaidi JR. Cytotoxic and cell cycle arrest induction of pentacyclic triterpenoides separated from Lantana camara leaves against MCF-7 cell line in vitro. Molecular biology reports. 2019;46(1):381-390. doi:10.1007/s11033-018-4482-3
10. Al-Ezzy RM, Al Anee RS, Ibrahim NA. Assessments of immunological activity of Achillea millefolium methanolic extract on albino male mice. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2018;6:563-9. doi: 10.17265/2328-2150/2018.06.002.
11. Al-ezzy ,R.M., Aabood, K.,H, Abdullah ,J. M., Rdeef, A.K.. Evaluation Of Sperm Head Abnormality Traits And Anti-Bacterial Properties Of Achillea Millefolium Methanolic Extract On Methotrexate- Induced Albino Male Mice International Journal of Drug Delivery Technology. 2019,39 (3): 455-459. DOI: 10.25258/ijddt.v9i3.23
12. Ibrahim RM. Immunological, Cytogenetic and Hepatoprotective Effect of Viola odorata Methanolic Extract on Methotrexate Induced Albino Male Mice. Jornal of Biotechnology Research Center. 2017;11(2):47-55.
13. V. Uma Rani, M. Sudhakar, A. Ramesh. Protective effect of Pueraria tuberosa Linn. in arsenic induced nephrotoxicity in rats. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2017; 7(1): 15-20. DOI: 10.5958/2231-5691.2017.00003.X
14. Umme Salma Durbar. Natures Cure for the Management of Drug Induced Nephrotoxicity. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2015; 8 (11)1593-1597. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2015.00284.X
15. Sudhanshu Kumar Meher, P K Mukherjee, S K Banarjee Chaudhury, Bani Marjit, B PShaw. Experimental studies on the Renal Protective effect of Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris Linn) and Varuna (Crataeva nurvala Buch-Ham). Research J. Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2016; 8(2): 75-82. DOI: 10.5958/2321-5836.2016.00014.8
16. Selvakumar K., Madhan R., Srinivasan G. , Baskar V. Antioxidant Assays in Pharmacological Research. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2011; 1(4): 99-103. Available on: https://ajptonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2011-1-4-3.
17. Preeti Tiwari. Phenolics and Flavonoids and Antioxidant Potential of Balarishta Prepared by Traditional and Modern Methods. Asian J. Pharm. Ana.2014; 4(1): 05-10.
18. Ibrahim NA, Ibrahim RM. Cytarabine induced reproductive histopathological changes in albino male mice. Jornal of Biotechnology Research Center. 2017;11(1).6-12.
19. Abdalah, M. E., Al-Ezzy, R. M.,and Okhti, Z. A. Protective role of Viola odorata against hepatotoxicity induced by methotrexate in albino male mice. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. (2018);10(11), 2775-2782.
20. SGHAIER, M., Louhichi, T., Hakem, A., and Ammari, Y.Chemical investigation of polar extracts from Ruta chalpensis L. growing in Tunisia: Correlation with their antioxidant activities. Journal of New Sciences. (2018);49, 2971-2978.
21. Motta, M., Ferlito, L., Malaguarnera, L., Vinci, E., Bosco, S., Maugeri, D., and Malaguarnera, M. Alterations of the lymphocytic set-up in elderly patients with cancer. Archives of gerontology and geriatrics. (2003); 36(1), 7-14.
22. Shivani Watak, Swati S. Patil. Formation and Evaluation of Herbomineral Complex . Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2(2): April-June 2012; Page 52-67. Available on: https://ajpaonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2012-2-2-7
23. Rajkumar S. Bagali, Sunil S. Jalalpure, S. S. Patil. Evaluation of Schrebera swietenioides Roxb. fruit Ethanolic extract for Antioxidant and Hepatoprotective activity against CCl4 induced liver injury in rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(11):5115-5120. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00895.1
24. Ma, L., Liu, Z., Zhou, B., Yang, L., and Liu, Z.Inhibition of free radical induced oxidative hemolysis of red blood cells by green tea polyphenols. Chinese Science Bulletin.(2000);45(22), 2052-2056. DOI: 10.1007/BF03183525
25. Ratheesh, M., Shyni, G. L., and Helen, A. Methanolic extract of Ruta graveolens L. inhibits inflammation and oxidative stress in adjuvant induced model of arthritis in rats. Inflammopharmacology. (2009);17(2), 100-105. doi.org/10.1007/s10787-009-8044-0
26. Preeti Tiwari, Rakesh K. Patel. Estimation of Total Phenolics and Flavonoids and Antioxidant Potential of Ashwagandharishta Prepared by Traditional and Modern Methods. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 3(4): Oct. - Dec. 2013; Page 147-152.
27. Ukoha, U. U., Umeasalugo, K. E., Okafor, J. I., Udemezue, O. O., Ndukwe, G. U., and Udenwogu, C. J. The histological effect of potassium bromate on the cerebellum of adult wistar rats. Inter. J. Health Sci. Res. (2014); 4(9), 114-118.
28. Bokov D.O., Nizamova L.A., Morokhina S.L., Marakhova A.I., Bobkova N.V., Sergunova E.V., Kovaleva T.Yu., Balobanova N.P., Prostodusheva T.V., Klyukina E.S., Chevidaev V.V., Samylina I.A., Lazareva N.B., Krasnyuk I.I. Pharmacognostic studies of Origanum L. species Medicinal plant raw materials. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(9):4365-4372. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00772.6.
29. Al-Qarawi, A. A.Stimulatory effect of the aqueous extract of Ruta chalepensis on the sex organs and hormones of male rats. J Appl Res. (2005); 5(1), 206-211.