Spirulina is used as dietary supplement in form of capsules and tablets. It is rich in Bioactive molecules and exhibits various activities. Commercially available Spirulina was collected. Extracts were prepared using various polar and non-polar solvents. The extracts were used for qualitative phytochemical analysis and to determine their Anti-Oxidant, Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-Arthritic activity. Phytochemicals like Tannin, Carbohydrates and Glycosides were present in all the extracts, while others were present only in few extracts. Biosynthesis of Nanoparticles was done by using the extract. Chloroform extract and Nanoparticles showed higher Anti-Oxidant activity, Ethanol extract showed higher Anti-Inflammatory activity and Chloroform extract showed higher Anti-Arthritic activity.
Cite this article:
Monika M, K. Krishna Prema. Phytochemical analysis of commercially available Spirulina, their activities and Biosynthesis of Nanoparticles. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(12):6189-3. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.01071
Monika M, K. Krishna Prema. Phytochemical analysis of commercially available Spirulina, their activities and Biosynthesis of Nanoparticles. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(12):6189-3. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.01071 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-12-1
1. Ali.H.E.A., Shanab S.M.M., Abo-State M. A.M., 2014, Screening of Microalgae for Antioxidant activities, Carotenoids and Phenolic Contents, Applied Mechanics and Materials, 625;156-159.
2. Birajdar G.O, Kadam V.S, Chintale A.G, Halle P.D, Nabde M.K and Maske K.S, 2013, A Comprehensive Review on Nanotechnology, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 6;486-495.
3. Gaurav Sharma, Nakuleshwar Dut Jasuja, Manoj Kumar and Mohammad Irfan Ali,2015, Biological Synthesis of Silver Nanoparticles by Cell-Free Extract of Spirulina platensis, Journal of Nanotechnology, Volume 2015;132675.
4. Goutam Kumar, PP Badoni, 2018, Arisaema tortuosum Leaf Extract Mediated Synthesis of Silver Nanoparticles, Characterization and their Antibacterial Activity, Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry, 11; 419-422.
5. Harada, K. 2004, Production of secondary metabolites by freshwater cyanobacteria, Chem. Pharm. Bull, 52;889-899.
6. Harborne, 1995, Phytochemical Methods, A Guide to Modern Techniques of Plant Analysis,2;1-242.
7. Herrero M., Martín-Álvarez P.J., Señoráns F.J.,2006, Optimization of accelerated solvent extraction of antioxidants from Spirulina platensis microalga, Food Chemistry,93;417- 423.
8. Hitesh Jain, Rushi Panchal, Dilrose Pabla, Jaimini Patel and Mansi Khirwadkar,2011, Magnetic Nanoparticles: As a Drug Targeting Carrier, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology ,4;1040-1045.
9. Imane Hamouda Ali,Amel Doumandji,2017, Comparative phytochemical analysis and in vitro antimicrobial activities of the cyanobacterium Spirulina platensis and the green alga Chlorella pyrenoidosa: potential application of bioactive components as an alternative to infectious diseases, Bulletin de l’Institut Scientifique, Rabat, Section Sciences,39;41-49.
10. Jain D, Daima H.K, Kachhwaha S, Kothari S.L, 2009, Synthesis of plant mediated silver nanoparticles using papaya fruit extract and evaluation of their anti microbial activities,Digest Journal of Nanomaterials and Biostructures, 4(3); 557-563.
11. Jaki, B., Heilmann, J. and Sticher. O, 2000, New antibacterial metabolites from the cyanobacterium Nostoc commune (EAWAG 122b), J. Nat. Prod. 63; 1283-1285.
12. Karthick K, Kumaravel P, Hemalatha P, Thamaraiselvi L,2013, Mechanistic Aspects: Biosynthesis of Silver Nanoparticlesfrom Proteus mirabilis and its Antimicrobial Study, Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences ,3;133-136.
13. Kavita Varghese, S. Chitra ,Sheik Abdul Azeez Sheriff,2010, Phytochemical Screening and In-vitro Studies on Anti-Inflammatory Properties of Sapindus emarginatus, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology ,3;1125-1127.
14. Kushagra Nagori, Mukesh Sharma, 2014, Spirulina: A wonder herb to treat topical diseases, Research Journal of Topical and Cosmetic Sciences, 5; 56-61.
15. Leelaprakash.G , Mohan Dass.S ,2011,“Invitro AntiInflammatory activity of Methanol extract of Enicostemma Axillare”, Int. J. Drug Dev. & Res., 3(3); 189-196.
16. Mazo V.K, Gmoshinskiĭ I.V, Zilova I.S; 2004, Microalgae Spirulina in human nutrition, Vopr Pitan; 73;45-53.
17. Mizushima Y and Kobayashi M, 2010, Interaction of anti‐inflammatory drugs with serum preoteins, especially with some biologically active proteins, J of Pharma Pharmacol 1968; 20;169‐ 173.
18. Mohanpuria P, Rana N.K, Yadav S.K, 2008, Biosynthesis of nanoparticles: technological concepts and future applications, Journal of NanoparticleResearch, 10; 507-517.
19. Pavankumar Naik, Mrs. Rajeshwari Gamanagatti, Mr. Jagadeesh Meti, Nagaraj Telkar, 2017, Importance of Nano-Technology in Different discipline, International Journal of Technology, 7; 56-68.
20. Pinero Estrada, J.E., Bermejo Besco´, P. and Villar del Fresno, A.M. 2001, Antioxidant activity of different fractions of Spirulina platensis protean extract, Il Farmaco ; 56 :497– 500 .
21. Pranita A. Argade, Mangesh A. Bhutkar, Chandrakant S. Magdum,2019, Albizzia lebbeck extract mediated synthesis of Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles and study of its In-vitro Anti-diabetic and Anti-oxidant activity, Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology ,9;93-98.
22. Rai M, Gade A, Yadav A, 2011. Biogenic nanoparticles: An introduction to what they are, how are synthesized and their applications, In: Mahendra Rai and Nelson Duran (Eds.) Metal nanoparticles in microbiology, Springer Heidelberg Dordrecht London New York, P.1– 14.
23. Ram Prasad S, Elango K, Daisy Chellakumari S, Dharani S, 2013, Preparation, Characterization and Anti-Inflammatory Activity of Chitosan Stabilized Silver Nanoparticles, Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology,5;161-167.
24. Ravikumar V.R., Sudha T , Hemalatha P.V,2010, Identification of the Different Constituents of Spirulina platensis Using HPTLC Fingerprinting, Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry ,2;391-394.
25. Sakat S, Juvekar AR, Gambhire MN, 2010, In vitro antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity of methanol extract of Oxalis corniculata Linn, International Journal of Pharma and Pharmacological Sciences , 2(1);146-155.
26. Sapna Tyagi, Tanveer Alam, MohdAzhar Khan, Hina Tarannum, Neha Chauhan,2018, Biosynthesis of Silver Nanoparticles using Medicinal Plant Anacyclus pyrethrum and its Antibacterial Efficacy, Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry ,11;515-520.
27. Sathish Kumar S ,Melchias G,2014, Characterization Of Biologically Synthesised Silver Nanoparticles from Euphorbia hirta, Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology ,4;01-05.
28. Sharma, G., Nakuleshwar, D.J., Kumar, M. and Mohammad, I.A., 2015, Biological Synthesis of silver nanoparticles by Cell-Free Extract of Spirulina platensis, Journal of Nanotechnology, 4 ;1-6.
29. Sonali P. Mahaparale, Reshma S. Kore, 2019, Silver Nanoparticles: Synthesis, Characterization, Application, Future Outlook, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 9; 181-189.
30. Suresh A. Marnoor,2019, A Review on Nanoparticles and its Applications in Therapeutics as a Novel Drug Delivery System, Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology ,9;125-128.
31. Suresh Dhanaraj, P. Bharathiraja, R. Dhandapani , R. Subbaiya, A. K. Kathireshan,2018, Biosynthesis and Characterization of Silver Nanoparticles from Aspergillus niger and its Antibacterial Activity, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology ,11;5282-5286.
32. Utpal Jana, Sovan Pal, G.P. Mohanta, P.K. Manna and R. Manavalan,2011, Nanoparticles: A Potential Approach for Drug Delivery, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology ,4;1016-1019.
33. Vignesh Balaji E, Tamil Selvan A, 2019, Nanopharmacology: A Novel Approach in Therapeutics, Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences, 9; 09-16.