Mais Mohammed, Monther F Mahdi, Bassma Talib, Ibrahim S Abaas
email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
Mais Mohammed, Monther F Mahdi, Bassma Talib, Ibrahim S Abaas
1Department of Pharmacognosy and Medicinal Plants, College of Pharmacy, Mustansiriya University.
2Dean of College of Pharmacy, Mustansiriya University.
3Department of Biology, College of Science, Mustansiriyah University.
4Department of Pharmacognosy and Medicinal Plants, College of Pharmacy, Mustansiriya University.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 11,
Year - 2021
Objective: Bauhinia variegata is evergreen small medicinal tree grows all over the world especially in the tropical regions. The aims of the study were detection, isolation quantification and identification of ß-sitosterol and lupeol of Iraqi B. variegata stem using various chromatographic and spectroscopic methods, beside the cytotoxic investigation of hexane extract of different aerial parts. Methods: detection by GC mass spectroscopy, isolated by preparative TLC. The identification and the structural elucidation of isolated ß-sitosterol and lupeol were performed by 1H nuclear magnetic resonance and FTIR. While the cytotoxic activity was performed against MCF-7 cells line. Results: Results highlighted that ß-sitosterol and lupeol present in Iraqi B. variegata stem that confirmed by different chromatographic and spectroscopic analysis. Also the leaves extract has the superior action on MCF-7 cells followed by stem extract and end up by flower extract. Conclusions: The plant has a good content of both ß-sitosterol and lupeol and the good cytotoxic action of aerial parts hexane extract confirm the successful plantation of B. variegata. These isolated compounds are a suitable candidate for further pharmacological study.
Cite this article:
Mais Mohammed, Monther F Mahdi, Bassma Talib, Ibrahim S Abaas. Identification and Isolation of lupeol and β-sitosterol from Iraqi Bauhinia variegata and determination the cytotoxic activity of the hexane extract of its leaves, stems and flowers. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(11):5703-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00991
Mais Mohammed, Monther F Mahdi, Bassma Talib, Ibrahim S Abaas. Identification and Isolation of lupeol and β-sitosterol from Iraqi Bauhinia variegata and determination the cytotoxic activity of the hexane extract of its leaves, stems and flowers. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(11):5703-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00991 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-11-16
1. Trupesh Pethani, Mayuri Thumar, Devendra Vaishnav, Ashvin Dudhrejiya. A Concise Study of Pharmacognostic and Antioxidant Potential of Stem bark from Bauhinia variegata Linn. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11(8): 3250-3256.
2. Gayathri Gunalan, A. Saraswathy, K. Vijayalakshmi. Preliminary Phytochemical and Pharmacognostical Analysis of Bauhinia variegata Linn. Leaves. Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2011; 3(5): 236-240.
3. Rash Eldalawy, Quantitative Estimation of Rutin in Rue (Ruta Graveolens L.) Cultivated In Iraq With The Evaluation Of its Antioxidant Activity, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2017; 10(2): 353-355.
4. Jadhav Anil G, Narkhede Sachin B, Patil Mrutyunjay B, Vidyasagar G. Hepatoprotective Activity of Bauhinia variegata Bark against Carbon Tetrachloride Induced Hepatotoxicity in Female Albino Wistar Rats. Research J. Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2010; 2(3): 239-242.
5. Sinha K, Verma A. Evaluation of Antimicrobial and Anticancer activities of methanol extract of in vivo and in vitro grown Bauhinia variegata L. International Research Journal of Biological Sciences. 2012; 1(6): 26-30.
6. Rajkapoor B, Jayakar B, Murugesh N, Sakthisekaran D. Chemoprevention and cytotoxic effect of Bauhinia variegata against N-nitrosodiethylamine induced liver tumors and human cancer cell lines. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2007; 104(3): 407-9
7. Rajkapoor B, Jayakar B, Murugesh N. Antitumour activity of on Dalton's Bauhinia variegate ascitic lymphoma. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2003; 89:107-9.
8. Namrata Dwivedi, Bhavna Dwivedi, Skand Mishra, Yogeshwer Shukla. Lupeol Induced Apoptosis in Human Lung Cancer Cell Line: A Flow Cytometry Study. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2014; 6(4): 197-203.
9. Jasiem Th., AL-Bazaz H., Baderden S., Nasser N. Isolation of flavonoids and Pharmacognostical study of Iraqi Albizia lebbeck Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Research. 2019; 11(1): 239-242
10. P. N. Notani. Global variation in cancer incidence and mortality. Current Science. 2001; 81(5): 465–474.
11. Muhammad Isrul, Risky Juliansyah, Ahmad Saleh, Wa Ode Yuliastri, Jastria Pusmarani, Himaniarwati, Wa Ode Wahyuni Maulidina. Phytochemical Analysis, Standardization and Cytotoxic Activity of Curcuma aureginosa Extract in Human Breast Cancer (MCF-7) Cell Line. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(4): 1967-1973.
12. Sasikala M, Sundaraganapathy R, Mohan S. MTT Assay on Anticancer Properties of Phytoconstituents from Ipomoea aquatica forsskal using MCF–7 cell lines for breast cancer in Women. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(3):1356-1360.
13. Azeez R., Abaas I., Kadhim E. Isolation and characterization of β-sitosterol from elaeagnus angustifolia cultivated in Iraq. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2018; 11(11): 442-446
14. Al-Sudani B, Al-Mugdadi SF, Mohammed AA. Evaluation of oxidative stress in patients of follicular thyroid cancer and study the therapeutic effect of Resveratrol on oxidative stress in FTC-133 thyroid cancer cell line. International Journal of Drug Delivery Technology. 2019; 9(03):367-73.
15. Anjali Soni, Patel Femida, Preeti Sharma. In-vitro Cytotoxic Activity of Plant Saponin Extracts on Breast Cancer Cell-Line. Res. J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochem. 2017; 9(1): 17-22
16. Soosamma John, Madhavi T., Bincy Raj, Jincy Shaji, Vinutha. Phytochemistry and Pharmacology of an Important Indian Medicinal Plant Crataeva nurvala Buch Ham. Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2010; 2(4): 275-279.
17. GK Sudhakar, Vasudev Pai, Arvind Pai. An overview on current Strategies in Breast Cancer Therapy. Research J. Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2013; 5(6): 353-355.
18. M Lavanya, Asish Bhaumik, A Gopi Reddy, Ch Manasa, B Kalyani, S Sushmitha. Evaluation of Anticancer Activity of Ethanolic and Ethylacetoacetate Extracts of Sweet Cherry Against Human Breast Cancer Cell Line MCF-7. Research J. Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2016; 8(2): 65-70.
19. Pierre LL, Moses MN. Isolation and characterisation of stigmasterol and β-sitosterol from Odontonema strictum (acanthaceae). J Innov Pharm Biol Sci. 2015; 2:88-96.
20. Silverstein R.M, Webster X.F, Kiemle D.J. Spectrometric Identification of Organic Compound. (7th ed.). New York: Wiley-Interscience; 2005.