I Gede Widhiantara, Anak Agung Ayu Putri Permatasari, I Wayan Putu Sutirta Yasa
I Gede Widhiantara1*, Anak Agung Ayu Putri Permatasari1, I Wayan Putu Sutirta Yasa2
1Department of Biology, Faculty of Health and Science, University of Dhyana Pura, Badung, Bali, Indonesia, 80361.
2Department of Clinical Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Udayana, Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia, 80232.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 10,
Year - 2021
Lipids are macromolecules that are very important in cell metabolism. Dietary changes and tendency to consume foods high in fat causes hyperlipidemia that increase the risk of various blood vessel abnormalities to the reproductive system. In men, normal reproductive function is closely related to the presence of the testes with the cells in them and the normal secretion of the hormone testosterone. There have been many studies on male experimental animals using high fat induction which prove that there is high fat in the circulatory system which results in metabolic and physiological disorders in the body, especially enzymes related to reproductive function, decreased secretion of reproductive hormones and abnormal structure of spermatozoa cells and degeneration of Leydig cells. Therefore, this review provides a review of the effect of high fat diets on reproductive cells, especially spermatogenic cells and Leydig cells.
Cite this article:
I Gede Widhiantara, Anak Agung Ayu Putri Permatasari, I Wayan Putu Sutirta Yasa. Spermatogenic and Leydig Cells Induced Hyperlipidemia: A Review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2021; 14(10):5573-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00971
I Gede Widhiantara, Anak Agung Ayu Putri Permatasari, I Wayan Putu Sutirta Yasa. Spermatogenic and Leydig Cells Induced Hyperlipidemia: A Review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2021; 14(10):5573-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00971 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-10-89
1. Zeki AM, Ramadan AM, Zeb FK and Ibrahim M. Impact of life-style on health and physical capability: A data mining approach ACM Int. Conf. Proceeding Ser. 2018-March 119–24.
2. Nugent R 2008 Chronic Diseases in Developing Countries Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 2008;1136: 70–9.
3. Upadhyay RK Emerging Risk Biomarkers in Cardiovascular Diseases and Disorders J. Lipids 2015;1–50.
4. Nelson RH Hyperlipidemia as a Risk Factor for Cardiovascular Disease Prim. Care Clin. Off. Pract. 2013;40: 195–211.
5. Weber C and Noels H Atherosclerosis: current pathogenesis and therapeutic options Nat. Med. 2011;17: 1410–22.
6. Ibrahim MA, Asuka E, Jialal I. Hypercholesterolemia. In: StatPearls. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; May 17, 2020.
7. Amiya E Interaction of hyperlipidemia and reactive oxygen species: Insights from the lipid-raft platform World J. Cardiol. 2016;8 689.
8. Phaniendra A, Jestadi DB and Periyasamy L Free Radicals: Properties, Sources, Targets, and Their Implication in Various Diseases Indian J. Clin. Biochem. 2015;30: 11–26.
9. Ahmad G, Almasry M, Dhillon AS, Abuayyash MM, Kothandaraman N and Cakar Z Overview and Sources of Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS) in the Reproductive System Oxidative Stress in Human Reproduction (Cham: Springer International Publishing) 2017;pp 1–16.
10. Cheng Y-C, Sheen J-M, Hu W L and Hung Y-C Polyphenols and Oxidative Stress in Atherosclerosis-Related Ischemic Heart Disease and Stroke Oxid. Med. Cell. Longev. 2017; 1–16.
11. Agarwal A, Aponte-Mellado A, Premkumar BJ, Shaman A and Gupta S The effects of oxidative stress on female reproduction: a review Reprod. Biol. Endocrinol. 2012;10 49.
12. Tavilani H, Vatannejad A, Akbarzadeh M, Atabakhash M, Khosropour S and Mohaghgeghi A Correlation Between Lipid Profile of Sperm Cells and Seminal Plasma With Lipid Profile of Serum in Infertile Men Avicenna J. Med. Biochem. 2014; 2(1):8.
13. Sèdes L, Thirouard L, Maqdasy S, Garcia M, Caira F, Lobaccaro J-M A, Beaudoin C and Volle DH Cholesterol: A Gatekeeper of Male Fertility? Front. Endocrinol. (Lausanne).2018;9: 369.
14. Tan BL and Norhaizan ME 2019 Effect of High-Fat Diets on Oxidative Stress, Cellular Inflammatory Response and Cognitive Function Nutrients 2019;11(11): 2579.
15. Varela-López A, Quiles J, Cordero M, Giampieri F and Bullón P Oxidative Stress and Dietary Fat Type in Relation to Periodontal Disease Antioxidants 2015;4(2): 322–344.
16. Mumford SL, Chavarro JE, Zhang C, Perkins NJ, Sjaarda LA, Pollack AZ, Schliep KC, Michels KA, Zarek SM, Plowden TC, Radin RG, Messer LC, Frankel RA and Wactawski-Wende J Dietary fat intake and reproductive hormone concentrations and ovulation in regularly menstruating women Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2016;103(3) 868–877.
17. Alahmar A Role of oxidative stress in male infertility: An updated review J. Hum. Reprod. Sci. 2019;12(1) 4-18.
18. Wagner H, Cheng JW and Ko EY Role of reactive oxygen species in male infertility: An updated review of literature Arab J. Urol. 2018;16(1): 35–43.
19. Repetto M, Semprine J and Boveris A Lipid Peroxidation: Chemical Mechanism, Biological Implications and Analytical Determination Lipid Peroxidation 2012 (InTech).
20. Singh UN, Kumar S and Dhakal S Study of Oxidative Stress in Hypercholesterolemia Int. J. Contemp. Med. Res. 2017;4: 2454–7379.
21. Khanum R and Thevanayagam H Lipid peroxidation: Its effects on the formulation and use of pharmaceutical emulsions Asian J. Pharm. Sci. 2017;12: 401–11.
22. Taso OV., Philippou A, Moustogiannis A, Zevolis E and Koutsilieris M Lipid peroxidation products and their role in neurodegenerative diseases Ann. Res. Hosp. 2019;3: 2–2.
23. Ricciotti E and FitzGerald GA Prostaglandins and Inflammation Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2011;31: 986–1000.
24. Gaschler MM and Stockwell BR Lipid peroxidation in cell death Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 2017;482: 419–25.
25. Haider SG Leydig Cell Steroidogenesis: Unmasking the Functional Importance of Mitochondria Endocrinology. 2007; 148: 2581–2.
26. Guzick DS, Overstreet JW, Factor-Litvak P, Brazil CK, Nakajima ST, Coutifaris C, Carson SA, Cisneros P, Steinkampf MP, Hill JA, Xu D and Vogel DL Sperm Morphology, Motility, and Concentration in Fertile and Infertile Men N. Engl. J. Med. 2001;345: 1388–93.
27. Purohit A and Daradka HMM Effect of mild hyperlipidaemia on testicular cell population dynamics in albino rats Indian J. Exp. Biol. 1999;37: 396–8.
28. Yamamoto Y, Shimamoto K, Sofikitis N and Miyagawa I Effects of hypercholesterolaemia on Leydig and Sertoli cell secretory function and the overall sperm fertilizing capacity in the rabbit Hum. Reprod. 1999;14: 1516–21.
29. Gromadzka-ostrowska J, Przepiórka M and KatarzynaRomanowic Influence of dietary fatty acids composition , level of dietary fat and feed ing period on some pa ram e ters of androgen metabolism in male rats Reprod. Biol. 2002;2: 277–93.
30. Bashandy AES Effect of Fixed Oil of Nigella Sativa on Male Fertility in Normal and Hyperlipidemic Rats Int. J. Pharmacol. 2007;3: 27–33.
31. Ghanayem BI, Bai R, Kissling GE, Travlos G and Hoffler U Diet-Induced Obesity in Male Mice Is Associated with Reduced Fertility and Potentiation of Acrylamide-Induced Reproductive Toxicity1 Biol. Reprod. 2010;82: 96–104.
32. Fernandez CD, Bellentani FF, Fernandes GS, Perobelli JE, Favareto APA, Nascimento AF, Cicogna AC and Kempinas WD Diet-induced obesity in rats leads to a decrease in sperm motility Reprod. Biol. Endocrinol. 2011;9: 32.
33. Elnaga NAMA Effect of Cholesterol and /or Methionine on the Testis of Rats Egypt. J. Hosp. Med. 2012;49: 857–78.
34. Fernandes GS, Arena AC, Campos KE, Volpato GT, Anselmo-Franci JA, Damasceno DC and Kempinas WG Glutamate-induced obesity leads to decreased sperm reserves and acceleration of transit time in the epididymis of adult male rats Reprod. Biol. Endocrinol. 2012;10: 105.
35. A.Kareem Alzubaidi Mohammed Ali Al Diwan N The Effect of Taurine on Reproductive Efficiency in Male Rats Fed High Cholesterol Diet Basrah J. Vet. Res. 2013;12: 30–40.
36. Mortazavi M, Salehi I, Alizadeh Z, Vahabian M and Roushandeh AM Protective effects of antioxidants on sperm parameters and seminiferous tubules epithelium in high fat-fed rats J. Reprod. Infertil. 2014;15: 22–8.
37. Campos-Silva P, Furriel A, Costa WS, Sampaio FJB and Gregório BM Metabolic and testicular effects of the long-term administration of different high-fat diets in adult rats Int. Braz J Urol 2015;41: 569–75.
38. Cui L and Guan QB Regulation of lipid metabolism in rat leydig cells testosterone synthesis and proliferation Int. J. Clin. Exp. Med. 2016;9: 8224–9.
39. Souza UD, Biswas A, D’souza UJA and Bhat S Dietary Hypercholesterolimia Induces Oxidative Stress Challenging Spermatogenesis in rat Model: A Lingk to Possibel Infertility Int. J. Pharm. Sci. Res. 2017;8: 5065–71.
40. Ibáñez C A, Erthal R P, Ogo F M, Peres M N C, Vieira H R, Conejo C, Tófolo L P, Francisco F A, Silveira S da S, Malta A, Pavanello A, Martins I P, da Silva P H O, Saavedra L P J, Gonçalves G D, Moreira V M, Alves V S, Franco C C d. S, Previate C, Gomes R M, Venci R de O, Dias F R S, Armitage J A, Zambrano E, Mathias P C F, Fernandes G S A and Palma-Rigo K 2017 A high fat diet during adolescence in male rats negatively programs reproductive and metabolic function which is partially ameliorated by exercise Front. Physiol. 2017;8: 1–12.
41. Fan W, Xu Y, Liu Y, Zhang Z, Lu L and Ding Z Obesity or overweight, a chronic inflammatory status in male reproductive system, leads to mice and human subfertility Front. Physiol. 2018;8: 1–11.
42. Iqbal S, Ali S and Siddiqui A Antioxidant Effects of Spinach ( Spinacia Oleracea ) on Testicular and Epididymal Weight of Obese Sprague Dawley Rats J. Islam. Int. Med. Coll. 2018;13(3): 157-161.
43. Widhiantara I G, Permatasari A A A P, Siswanto F M and Dewi N P E S 2018 Ekstrak daun sembung (Blmea balsamifera) memperbaiki histologi testis tikus wistar yang diinduksi pakan tinggi lemak J. Bioteknol. Biosains Indones. 2018;5: 111.
44. Smith LB and Walker WH The regulation of spermatogenesis by androgens Semin. Cell Dev. Biol. 2014;30: 2–13.
45. Wang Y, Chen F, Ye L, Zirkin B and Chen H Steroidogenesis in Leydig cells: effects of aging and environmental factors Reproduction 2017;154(4): R111–R122.
46. Haider SG Leydig Cell Steroidogenesis: Unmasking the Functional Importance of Mitochondria Endocrinology 2007;148: 2581–2.
47. Chamindrani Mendis-Handagama SML and Siril Ariyaratne HB Leydig cells, thyroid hormones and steroidogenesis Indian J. Exp. Biol. 2005;43: 939–62.
48. Yu C, Jiang F, Zhang M, Luo D, Shao S, Zhao J, Gao L, Zuo C and Guan Q HC diet inhibited testosterone synthesis by activating endoplasmic reticulum stress in testicular Leydig cells J. Cell. Mol. Med. 2019;23: 3140–50.
49. Migliaccio, Sica, Di Gregorio, Putti and Lionetti High-Fish Oil and High-Lard Diets Differently Affect Testicular Antioxidant Defense and Mitochondrial Fusion/Fission Balance in Male Wistar Rats: Potential Protective Effect of ω3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids Targeting Mitochondria Dynamics Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2019;20(12): 3110.
50. Pinto-Fochi M E, Pytlowanciv E Z, Reame V, Rafacho A, Ribeiro D L, Taboga S R and Góes R M .A high-fat diet fed during different periods of life impairs steroidogenesis of rat Leydig cells Reproduction 2016;152(6): 795–808.
51. Mahurkar N, Sayeed ul hasan S M, Quadri S M Antihyperlipidemic Effect of Polyherbal Formulation (PHF) in High Fat Diet Induced Hyperlipidemia Res J Pharm Dos Forms Technol [Internet]. 2015;7(1):11.
52. Babu S R, Goud K P Evaluation of Anti-Hyperlipidemic and Anti Oxidant Activity of Ethanolic Extract of Delonix Elata on High fat diet Induced Rats. Res J Pharmacogn Phytochem [Internet]. 2018;10(3):241.
53. Sarvesh C N, Fernandes J, Janadri S, Yogesh H S, Swamy S Antihyperlipidemic activity of Achyranthes aspera Linn leaves on cholesterol induced hyperlipidemia in rats. Res J Pharm Technol [Internet]. 2017;10(1):200.
54. Khan A A, Siddiqui H H, Ansari T M, Ahsan F A Comparative Evaluation Study of Citrus limetta and Metformin against Hyperlipidemia in Diabetic and Non-diabetic rats. Res J Pharm Technol [Internet]. 2019;12(3):1244.
55. Pal R S, Saraswat N, Pal Y, Wal P, Wal A, Rai A K Alcoholic Extract of Poly Herbal Powder Mixture for Anti-Obesity effect on Wistar Rats. Res J Pharm Technol [Internet]. 2019;12(4):1857.
56. Jyoti S, Pushpendra K P, Balkrishna D Effects of Methanolic Extracts of Quisqualis indica (Aerial Parts) on Passive Smoking Induced Hyperlipidemia in Rats. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2019;3(1): Jan.-Mar: 26-29.
57. U.S. Mahadeva Rao, Bizuneh Adinew Hypolipidemic Effect of Dichloromethane as well as Methanolic Fruit and Leaf Extract of Ethiopian Alligator pear (Persea americana Mill.) on Tyloxapol-Induced Hyperlipidemic Experimental Rat. Asian J. Research Chem. 2011;4(4) April: 574-578.
58. Rohit Gundamaraju Diana Vivian Atigari, D S Helen Sheeba, Ramesh C Evaluation of anti-obesity activity of Lantana camara var Linn on butter induced Hyperlipidemia in Rats. Research J. Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2012; 4(5): 315-318.
59. Rao U S M, Kausar S A, Janarthanam R B, Djearamane S, Kumar S S Biochemical Evaluation of Antidiabetic Effect of Kasini ashshifa , a Polyherbal formulation in High Fat Diet Fed-Low Dose STZ Induced Diabetes in Rats. Res J Pharm Technol [Internet]. 2020;13(3):1474.
60. Sharmila C, Renuka K, Subramanian SP. Biochemical Evaluation of Antidiabetic properties of Strychnos potatorum Seeds extract studied in High Fat Diet Fed-Low dose Streptozotocin induced experimental type 2 diabetes in Rats. Res J Pharm Technol [Internet]. 2020;13(6):2615.