Damodara Gowda K M, Shailaja S Moodithaya, Vishakh R Kedilaya, Nayanatara A K
Damodara Gowda K M1, Shailaja S Moodithaya1*, Vishakh R Kedilaya2, Nayanatara A K3
1Dept of Physiology, K.S. Hegde Medical Academy, Nitte (Deemed to be University), Mangalore - 575018, Karnataka, India.
2Central Research Laboratory, K.S. Hegde Medical Academy, Nitte (Deemed to be University), Mangalore - 575018, Karnataka, India.
3Department of Physiology, Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal, India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 10,
Year - 2021
Aging is associated with various physiological, pathological and psychosocial alterations. This study evaluates the benefits of Curcumin by assessing reproductive aging indices and ovarian health in Wistar rats. Laboratory bred adult rats selected for the experiment. After 12 months of follow-up, the animals were grouped into Normal control rats, Sham control group, Curcumin-1(100 mg/kg body weight), Curcumin-2(200 mg/kg body weight) and Curcumin-3 (400 mg/kg body weight). For the duration of six months Curcumin dosage was administered. The experimental parameters included estrous cycle and histological evaluation of ovarian follicles. Data were analyzed using one-way ANOVA. The percentage of primordial follicles was significantly more (p<0.001) in all the groups when compared with other types of follicles. Prolonged increase (p=0.0001) in the Diestrus phase in animals treated with different dosages of Curcumin. The current study concludes that Curcumin, an active component of Curcuma longa contributes to the anti-aging properties.
Cite this article:
Damodara Gowda K M, Shailaja S Moodithaya, Vishakh R Kedilaya, Nayanatara A K. A Nutraceutical approach to enhance Reproductive longevity and Ovarian health using Curcuma longa in wistar Rats. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2021; 14(10):5385-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00939
Damodara Gowda K M, Shailaja S Moodithaya, Vishakh R Kedilaya, Nayanatara A K. A Nutraceutical approach to enhance Reproductive longevity and Ovarian health using Curcuma longa in wistar Rats. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2021; 14(10):5385-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00939 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-10-57
1. Thomas Bl Kirkwood, Global aging and the brain, Nutrition Reviews, 2010, 68(S1), S65–S69.
2. Rattan, SS. Increased molecular damage and heterogeneity as the basis of aging, Biological Chemistry,2008, 389(3), 267-272.
3. Fact Sheet, American Society for Reproductive Medicine, 1209- Montgomery Highway -Alabama 35216.
4. Bergamini E, Cavallini G, Donati A, Gori Z. The anti-ageing effects of caloric restriction may involve stimulation of macro-autophagy and lysosomal degradation, and can be intensified pharmacologically. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy, 2003, 57(5), 203-8.
5. Cole GM, Teter B, Frautschy SA. Neuroprotective effects of curcumin. Adv Exp Med Biol, 2007, 59(5), 197-212.
6. Kemisha Sanghvi, Chandrashekar K. S, Vasudev Pai, Aswatha Ram H. N. Review on Curcuma longa: Ethnomedicinal uses, Pharmacological Activity and Phytochemical constituents. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(8): 3983-3986.
7. Avani H. Sheth, Dhrubo Jyoti Sen, Naman B. Doshi. Effective Anti-Aging Tips You Would Be Glad to Know. Research J. Science and Tech. 3(1):1-11.
8. Sabale Prafulla, Potey Lata, Rahangdale Priya, Sabale Vidya. Novel Curcumin Derivatives: Targeted for Anti-Inflammatory Activity. Asian J. Research Chem. 2019; 12(2):49-54.
9. T. Sharanya Nair, Meghana R, Shlini Antimicrobial Activity of the protein fraction obtained in the extraction of Curcumin. Asian J. Research Chem. 2019; 12(4): 199-202.
10. Kishu Tripathi. Curcumin-The Spice of Life-I. Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 2009; 1(3): 153-161.
11. Aparna Satapathy, Mandava V. Rao. Protective effect of Curcumin on 2, 4- Dichlorophenoxy acetic acid exerted Hepatotoxicity in Mice. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(2): 637-642.
12. P. Venugopalan, T. V. Deepthi. Chemical and Pharmacological Studies on Curcuminoids. Asian J. Research Chem.: 7(3); 355-365.
13. Steffi Pulikodan Francis, Muthuirulappan Srinivasan. Enhancing the Bioavailability of a Natural Product Curcumin to increase the Therapeutic Efficacy by a Novel Formulation Technology. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(6): 2615-2620.
14. Sikora E, Scapagnini G, Barbagallo M. Curcumin, inflammation, ageing and age-related diseases. Immun Ageing. 2010; 7(1): 1.
15. Hitha H, Gowda D, Mirajkar A. Serum ferritin level as an early indicator of metabolic dysregulation in young obese adults -a cross-sectional study. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2018, 96(12):
16. Damodara Gowda KM, Suchetha Kumari N, Ullal H. Role of astaxanthin in the modulation of brain-derived neurotrophic factor and spatial learning behavior in perinatally undernourished Wistar rats. Nutritional Neuroscience, 2018 (1); 1–10.
17. Ananta Choudhury, Suman Saha, Sanjib Bahadur, Amit Roy. Synergistic Antifungal Activity of Bioactive Phytochemical in Combination with Standard Antifungal Drugs. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(5): 2346-2352
18. Sri Vasavi Reddy A, J. Suresh, Hemant K.S. Yadav, Apurva Singh. A Review on Curcuma longa. Research J. Pharm. and Tech.2012; 5(2); 158-165.
19. Dou X, Sun Y, Li J, Zhang J, Hao D, Liu W, Wu R, Kong F, Peng X, Li J. Short‐term rapamycin treatment increases ovarian lifespan in young and middle‐aged female mice. Aging cell, 2017, 16(4), 825-36.
20. Widjiati, Dewita, Viski F Hendrawan, Kusuma E Purwantari, Syuhuud A Wajdi, Ahmad B Zulfarniasyah, Ainun S Putri, Mitha A Rahmawati, Maulana F Al-Ilmi. Histopathologic Changes in Liver Tissue from Cadmium Intoxicated Mice and Treated with Curcumin during Pregnancy. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11(3): 863-866.
21. Shailaja M, Damodara Gowda KM, Vishakh K, Suchetha Kumari N. Anti-aging role of Curcumin by modulating the inflammatory markers in albino Wistar rats. J Natl Med Assoc, 2017, 109 (1), 9-13.
22. Zinat Sargazi, Mohammad Reza Nikravesh Mehdi Jalali, Hamid Reza Sadeghnia, Fatemeh Rahimi Anbarkeh. The protective effect ofvitamin E on rat’s ovarian follicles following an administration of diazinon: An experimental study. Int J Reprod Biomed. 2019; 17(2): 79–88.
23. Patil SL, Reddy GR, Krishna AP, Gowda KM Damodara. Evaluation of Antioxidant Deficit and Lipid Profile in Type - 2 Diabetes Mellitus Patients. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences. 2010,1(4): 467–73
24. C H Hubscher, D L Brooks, J R Johnson. A Quantitative Method for Assessing Stages of the Rat Estrous Cycle. Biotech Histochem,2005, 80 (2), 79-87.
25. Rai M, Paramesha S, Gowda Damodara KM, Vidhya GG. Effect of Garlic on Total Antioxidants in Alloxan Induced Diabetes Mellitus Rats. International Journal of Biomedical and Advance Research. 2011, 2(9): 318–28
26. Goldman JM, Murr AS, Cooper RL. The rodent estrous cycle: characterization of vaginal cytology and its utility in toxicological studies. Birth Defects Research Part B: Developmental and Reproductive Toxicology,2007, 80(2), 84-97.
27. Rai KN, Kumari NS, Gowda KM Damodara, Swathi KR. The Evaluation of Micronutrients and Oxidative Stress and their Relationship with the Lipid Profile in Healthy adults. JCDR. 2013, 7(7):1314–8.
28. Prafulla Sabale, Arjun Modi, Vidya Sabale. Curcuma longa Linn. A Phytochemical and Phytopharmacological Review. Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 2013; 5(2): 59-68.
29. Sylvia J. Singletary, Alan J. Kirsch, Julie Watson, Baktiar O. Karim, David L. Huso, Patricia D. Hurn, And Stephanie J. Murphy. Lack of Correlation of Vaginal Impedance Measurements with Hormone Levels in the Rat. Contemp Top Lab Anim Sci,2005, 44(6), 37–42.
30. Sudhakar P, Suganeswari M, Poorana Pushkalai S, Haripriya S. Regulation of Estrous cycle using Combination of Gymnema sylvestre and Pergularia daemia in Estradiol Valerate induced PCOS rats. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2018; 8(1): 04-08.
31. Shekoufeh Atashpour, Hossein Kargar Jahromi, Zahra Kargar Jahromi, Mozhgan Maleknasab. Comparison of the effects of Ginger extract with clomiphene citrate on sex hormones in rats with polycystic ovarian syndrome. Int J Reprod Biomed (Yazd), 2007, 15(9), 561–568.