R. Manohar, S. Raja
R. Manohar1,2, S. Raja2*
1Department of Pharmacology, P. Rami Reddy Memorial College of Pharmacy, Kadapa - 516003, Andhra Pradesh, India.
2Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, GITAM Institute of Pharmacy, GITAM (Deemed to be University), Visakhapatnam - 530045, Andhra Pradesh, India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 10,
Year - 2021
Standardization of herbal drugs is a significant for staying away from of adulteration and in recognizable proof of unadulterated herbal drugs. World Health Organization determined explicit rules for the assessment of the wellbeing, adequacy and caliber of herbal drugs. The current examination was attempted to the standardization of entire plant of Barleria buxifolia Linn and Barleria cuspidata Heyne Ex Nees and to assess the fundamental phytochemical investigation. Both the plants are shrub once in a while circulated in waste lands, helpless soil and along streets. In this investigation the dried entire plant of Barleria buxifolia and Barleria cuspidata were assessed for organoleptic characters, physicochemical boundaries of pH, loss on drying, ash values and fundamental phytochemical examination for distinguishing of chemical constituents. The information acquired by the current examination shows all the qualities with in the determination of WHO and all these may be accommodating in distinguishing of this therapeutic plant and may likewise supportive in forestalling its debasement.
Cite this article:
R. Manohar, S. Raja. Standardization and Preliminary Phytochemical Screening of Barleria buxifolia Linn and Barleria cuspidata Heyne Ex Nees. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(10):5089-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00887
R. Manohar, S. Raja. Standardization and Preliminary Phytochemical Screening of Barleria buxifolia Linn and Barleria cuspidata Heyne Ex Nees. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(10):5089-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00887 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-10-5
1. Hariharan P, Subburaju T. Medicinal plants and its standardization– A global and industrial overview. Global Journal of Medicinal Plant Research. 2012; 1(1): 10-13.
2. Archana AB, Anubha K. Standardization of herbal drugs: an overview. International Research Journal of Pharmacy. 2011; 2(12): 56-60.
3. Chaudhari VK, Pathak D, Hussain Z, Kumar P, Yadav V. Importance of herbal drug for new drug development. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2018; 1(4): 19-22.
4. Haidan Y, Qianqian M, Li Y, Guangchun P. Review – The Traditional Medicine and Modern Medicine From Natural Products. Molecules. 2016; 21: 559.
5. Shailesh LPM, Suryawanshi Arvind B, Gaikwad Manoj S, Pedewad Snehal R, Potulwar Ashwini P. Standardization of herbal drugs: An overview. The Pharma Innovation Journal. 2015; 4(9): 100-104.
6. Kunle OF, Egharevba HO, Ahmadu PO. Standardization of herbal medicines - A review. International Journal of Biodiversity and Conservation. 2012; 4(3): 101-112.
7. Rajesh K, Katecha M. A review on the standardization of herbal medicines. International Journal of Pharma Sciences and Research. 2016; 7(2): 97-106.
8. Jayashree D. Phytochemicals analysis and TLC finger printing of methanolic extracts of three medicinal plants. International Research Journal of Pharmacy. 2014; 4(6): 123-126.
9. Bijauliya RK, Alok S, Chanchal DK, Kumar M. A comprehensive review on standardization of herbal drugs. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2017; 8(9): 3663-3677.
10. Yadav P, Prajapati PK. Quality control parameters for medicinal plants, an overview. Asian Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2011; 1(5): 12-16.
11. Renu G, Sanjana JT, Narasimhan D. Centre for floristic research, Department of botany, Madras christian college, Tambaram.
12. Sasidharan N (Dr. B P Pal Fellow), Kerala Forest Research Institute, Peechi, India Biodiversity Portal.
13. Mohanty PK, Neha C, Neraj kumar B, Jaliwala YA. Preliminary phytochemical screening of Cajanus cajan Linn. Asian journal of pharmacy and technology, 2011; 1(2): 49-52.
14. Siddiqui MAH. Format for the pharmacopoeial analytical standards of compound formulation, workshop on standardization of Unani drugs, anuary, Central Council for Research in Unani Medicine (CCRUM), New Delhi, (appendix), 1995; 24-25.
15. WHO expert committee on specifications for Quality control methods for plant materials, Geneva. World Health Organization, Revision 1, 1998; 08-67.
16. Tauseef S, Atar M, Wasimuzzama K, Rukhsana AR. Pharmacognostic and preliminary phytochemical screening of Cichorium intybus Linn seed. Asian journal of research chemistry, 2010; 3(4): 977-980.
17. Neeraj C, Bhupinder SS. An overview of advances in the standardization of herbal drugs. Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research. 2011; 2(2): 55-70.
18. Narmatha K, Arul P, Jeyamurugan S, Srinivasan R, Vignesh T. Standardisation of rhizome extract of Acorus calamus Linn. Asian journal of research chemistry, 2018; 11(2): 423-426.
19. Aruna sridevi B, Anil babu G, Natasha B, Srinivasa babu P, Ramadoss K. Preliminary phytochemical and physicochemical studies of Jatropha gossypifolia (L.). Research journal of pharmacy and technology, 2012; 5(5): 694-696.
20. WHO expert committee on specifications for final text for revision of the international pharmacopoeia, Sulfated ash. Document QAS/11.401, World Health Organization, (WHO). 2012; 1-2.
21. Bincy R, Jagadeesh singh SD, Soosamma J, Ayesha S. Pharmacognostic and preliminary phytochemical screening of Cassytha filiformis. Research journal of pharmacognosy and phytochemistry, 2011; 3(4): 151-153.
22. Zalavadiya VI, Shah VK, Sheth NR, Sumit C. Pharmacognostical and preliminary phytochemical screening of Erythrina indica
Linn. Research journal of pharmacognosy and phytochemistry, 2010; 2(3): 220-224.
23. Raja ST, Syam MM, Venkatanarayanan R, Thanga TA. Pharmacognostical and preliminary phytochemical screening the leaves of Jasminum grnadiflorum Linn. Research journal of pharmacognosy and phytochemistry, 2010; 2(6): 438-440.
24. Lachman L, Lieberman HA, Joesph LK. The theory and practice of industrial pharmacy, CBS Publishers and Distributors, New Delhi. 2007; 3rd: 150-153.
25. Keerthi PHV, Nandeesh R, Kaveri HV, Vidyashree M, Manjunatha E, Veeresh PV, Pramod PD, Vijayakumar S. Pharmacognostic and preliminary phytochemical screening of Sesbania grandiflora root. Research journal of pharmacognosy and phytochemistry, 2018; 10(4): 285-290.
26. Ushasri S, Nagaraju K, Prasanthi D, Ramadevi K, Sudha BCH. In vitro antihelmintic activity and preliminary phytochemical screening of whole plant of Vernonia cinereal. Asian journal of research in chemistry, 2013; 6(1): 68-70.
27. Nidhi S, Shrivastava PN, Saxena RC. Preliminary physico- phytochemical study of stembark of Alstonia scholaris (L) R. BR.
- A medicinal plant. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Research. 2012; 3(4): 1071-1075.
28. Kokate CK, Khandelwal KR, Pawer AP, Gokhale SB. Practical pharmacognosy. Nirali prakashan, Pune. 1995; 3rd: 137.
29. Trease and Evans. Phytochemistry. In pharmacognosy, Revised by Daphne evans. Edinburgh London New york Philadelphia St Louis Sydney toronto. 2009; 16th: 133-168.
30. Selvakumar S, Gangatharam S, Rao MRK. Preliminary phytochemical screening of root extracts of Crossandra infundibuliformis Research journal of pharmacy and technology, 2016; 9(2): 131-134.
31. Mukherjee PK. Quality control of herbal drugs - An approach to evaluation of botanicals. Business Horizons, New Delhi, India. 2002; 560–567.
32. Kokate CK, Purohit AP, Gokhale SB. Pharmacognosy, Nirali Prakashan, Pune. 2006; 34th: 145-151.
33. Manoj KP, Singh GN, Rajeev KS, Sneh L. Standardization of yakrit plihantak churna: An ayurvedic poly herbal formulation. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Research. 2012; 3(1): 171-176.
34. Bhattacharya S, Kamaruz ZM. Pharmacognostical evaluation of Zanthoxylum nitidum bark. International Journal of PharmTech Research. 2009; 1(2): 292-298.
35. Shweta J, Chanderachud S, Pankaj K, Atul J, Ankur V. Pharmacognostic and phyto chemical investigations of the leaves of Zizyphus xylopyrus (Retz) willd. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2011; 3(2): 122-125.