Rana S. Al-Saffar, Safaa A. Zakaria, Nabeel S. Othman
firstname.lastname@example.org , Saffaemail@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
Rana S. Al-Saffar1, Safaa A. Zakaria1, Nabeel S. Othman2*
1Northern Technical University, Mosul Technical Institute, Mosul, Iraq.
2Department of Chemistry, College of Science, University of Mosul, Mosul, Iraq.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 10,
Year - 2021
A simple and accurate spectrophotometric method to assay p-aminobenzoic acid (PABA) has been suggested. The method based on the diazotization of PABA via reaction with nitrite ions which liberated in the medium through the reaction of sodium nitrite with hydrochloric acid, then coupling the dizotised-PABA(D-PABA)with 1-naphthylamine -7-sulphonic acid (1-NASA) to form an intense colored pink azo dye ,it is water-soluble , very stable and has a maximum absorbance at 525 nm. The absorbance was increase with the increasing of PABA amounts in the solution, and the linearity from 2.5 to70 µg in 10 ml (0.25to7 µg.ml-1).The molar absorptivity and Sandell ?s sensitivity values have been calculated they equal to 3.6057x104 L.mol-1 cm -1 and 0.0037993 µg. cm-2 respectively. The two values above demonstrated a good sensitivity of the suggested method. The method has been used in estimated PABA resulted from analysis of folic acid in tablet.
Cite this article:
Rana S. Al-Saffar, Safaa A. Zakaria, Nabeel S. Othman. Spectrophotometric Determination of p-aminobenzoic acid via Diazotization and Coupling reaction. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(10):5313-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00926
Rana S. Al-Saffar, Safaa A. Zakaria, Nabeel S. Othman. Spectrophotometric Determination of p-aminobenzoic acid via Diazotization and Coupling reaction. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(10):5313-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00926 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-10-44
1. British Pharmacopeia (2000) CD – Rom , 3rd Edn. System Simulation Ltd., the Stationary Office, London.
2. National Library of Medicine,National Center for Biotechnology Information, https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/4-Aminobenzoic-acid .
3. Imondi AR, Stradley RP, Wolgemuth R. Synthetic Peptides in The Diagnosis of Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency in Animals. Gut. 1972 Sep 1;13(9):726-31.
4. Charles O,Ole G, Robert F..Textbook of Organic Medical and Pharmaceutical Chemistry, 7th Ed.Lippincott Company, Toronto, 1977, 927.
5. Kulkarni SS, Mehere AP, Shenoy PA. Synthesis and in-vitro antimicrobial activity of 4-(piperazin-1-ylcarbonyl) aniline–an amide derivative of p-aminobenzoic acid. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2009;2(3):300-3.
6. Babu K. Synthesis and antibacterial studies of 2-pyrazoline based bis heterocycles. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2018;11(2):319-28.
7. Langenbach T, Mano D, Campos MM, Cunha AL, De Campos TM. Pesticide Dispersion by Spraying under Tropical Conditions. Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part B. 2017 Dec 2;52(12):843-9.
8. Zhang GF, Mortier KA, Storozhenko S, Van De Steene J, Van Der Straeten D, Lambert WE. Free and Total Para‐Aminobenzoic Acid Analysis in Plants with High‐Performance Liquid Chromatography/Tandem Mass Spectrometry. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry: An International Journal Devoted to the Rapid Dissemination of Up‐to‐the‐Minute Research in Mass Spectrometry. 2005 Apr 30;19(8):963-9.
9. Dhananjeyan MR, Bykowski C, Trendel JA, Sarver JG, Ando H, Erhardt PW. Simultaneous Determination of Procaine and para-Aminobenzoic Acid by LC–MS/MS Method. Journal of Chromatography B. 2007 Mar 1;847(2):224-30.
10. Zhou XD, Hu T, Zhang P, Tan H. Reversed-phase High-Performance Liquid Chromatographic Measurement of The p-Aminobenzoic Acid Synthesized by Streptococcus Sanguis. The Chinese Journal of Dental Research: the Official Journal of The Scientific Section of the Chinese Stomatological Association (CSA). 1998 Sep;1(2):37.
11. Okdeh MS, Mostafa S, Traboulssie S. Determination of p-Aminobenzoic Acid and p-Hydroxy methyl Benzoate in Sunscreens by HPLC. Asian Journal of Chemistry. 2003 Apr 1;15(2):664.
12. Darak V, Karadi AB, Raju SA. Spectrophotometric determination of mesalamine by diazotization coupling reaction in solid dosage forms. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2011;4(6):968-70.
13. Reddy MP, Reddy PR, Reddy NR. Spectrophotometric determination of mosapride citrate in pharmaceutical formulations. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2011;4(7):1161-3.
14. Hemalatha PV, Suresh AJ, Niraimathi V. Visible spectrophotometric methods for the estimation of cinitapride and pantoprazole in bulk and oral dosage form. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2012;5(3):440-5.
15. Kathirvel S, Rao GD, Satyanarayana SV. UV spectrophotometric determination of risperidone in bulk and its formulation. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2010;3(1):151-3.
16. Devmurari VP. Simultaneous spectrophotometric determination of Lamivudine and Abacavir in the mixture, IJPSR, 1 (7), 2010, 82-8 6.
17. Nagori BP, Shukla SS. New spectrophotometric determination of cefaclor in bulk drug and synthetic mixture. Asian Journal of research in chemistry. 2008;1(1):51-00.
18. Prasad AR, Rao VS. First Derivative Spectrophotometric determination of demeclocycline and minocycline in clinical samples, urine and honey. Scientific World. 2010;8(8):34-8.
19. Prasad A, Rao VS. First derivative spectrophotometric determination of hostacycline and oxytetracycline–applications. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2010;3(1):220-4.
20. Othman NS, Mansours SS. Spectrophotometric Determination of p-Aminobenzoic Acid from Procaine Drug by using Phloroglucinol as Coupling Agent, Tikrit J. of Pur. Science. 2005; 10: 139-143.
21. Younis M, Othman N. Spectrophotometric Determination of p-Aminobenzoic Acid in Pharmaceutical Formulations by Diazotisation and Coupling with 2,4,6-Tri- hydroxybenzoic Acid. Accepted and Published in The Preceding of The 3rd Scientific Conference in Chemistry,College of Sci.,Mosul University .2018 : 46-56.
22. Al-Abachi MQ, Al-Ghabsha TS, Salih ES. Application of Promethazine Hydrochloride as a Chromogenic Reagent for The Spectrophotometric Determination of Aniline and Its Substituents. Microchemical Journal. 1990 Feb 1;41(1):64-71.
23. Chen CF, Tseng YT, Tseng HK, Liu TZ. Automated Spectrophotometric Assay for Urine p-Aminophenol by an Oxidative Coupling Reaction. Annals of Clinical & Laboratory Science. 2004 Jul 1;34(3):336-40.
24. Pius UO, Gloria NC, Khadatkar SN, Sinhe AG, Vaidya VM. Spectrophotometric Determination of 4-Aminobenzoic Acid using Charge Transfer Complexation. International Journal of ChemTech Research. 2018;11(02):370-6.
25. Zakaria RA, Othman NS. Indirect Spectrophotometric Determination of PABA in Pharmaceutical Preparation (capsules). Iraqi National Journal of Chemistry. 2014(53):1-0.
26. Salvador A, Chisvert A, Rodrıguez A, March JG. Indirect Spectrophotometric Determination of p-aminobenzoic acid in sunscreen formulations by sequential injection analysis. Analytica Chimica Acta. 2003 Oct 1;493(2):233-9.
28. Othman NS, Salih ZZ. Methyl acetoacetate as a Coupling Agent in Spectrophotometric Determination of p-Aminobenzoic Acid by Azo-Dye Formation Reaction. College of Basic Education Researches J.2007;5:192-206
29. Valcarcel M. Principles of Analytical Chemistry , Springer Verlag, Berlin, 2000; pp. 67-68.
30. De Levie R. Principles of quantitative chemical analysis. McGraw-Hill College; 1997;pp. 498.
31. Bashir WA,NS Othman. Spectrophotometric Determination of p-Aaminobenzoic Acid by Diazotisation –Coupling Method with N–(1- Naphthyl)ethylenediamine Dihydrochloride –Aapplication to Pharmaceutical Preparation, Raf. J. of Sci. 2003;14:21-28.