Swati B. Pokale, Ghanshayam Jadhav
firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
Swati B. Pokale*, Dr. Ghanshayam Jadhav
Department of Pharmacology, Maratha Vidya Prasarak Samaj’s College of Pharmacy, MVP Campus, Gangapur Road, Shivaji Nagar, Nashik - 422002, Maharashtra, India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 10,
Year - 2021
This study evaluates the prospective use of an herbal plant Piper longum in letrozole induced polycystic ovary syndrome using a rat model. The study used female wistar rats, which were divided into 9 groups, each containing 6 animals. Group I (Control) daily received 1% Carboxy Methyl Cellulose (CMC)as a vehicle control. Letrozole (1mg/kg) was administered by oral route for period of 21days for induction of PCOS in group (II-IX). During experimental period, vaginal smear of all females were collected daily for the estrous cycle determination. During 28 days of letrozole administration, changes in estrous cycle of females were observed and studied. This study showed that PCOS was induced. After Letrozole treatment, 6 animals from group III-IX treated orally with, standard drugs Metformin (300mg/kg/oral route), Clomiphene citrate (100mg/kg/oral route), plant drug Piper longum L. at a concentration of 200mg/kg, 400mg/kg and 800mg/kg, drug interaction groups: Metformin + Piper longum L, 800mg/kg and Clomiphene citrate +Piper lonum L., 800mg/kg body weight and studied for consecutive estrous cycles. Vaginal smear were examined, it showed that hydro alcoholic extract of fruits of Piper longum Linn. group has potential effect on PCOS bringing estrous cycle to normalcy. Also, after Letrozole treatment ovary and reproductive weights of normal rats increased which is normalizes with plant drug treatment. Further studies of hydroalcoholic extract of fruits Piper longum Linn. need to be carried out to check other related parameters of PCOS.
Cite this article:
Swati B. Pokale, Ghanshayam Jadhav. Piper longum (Linn.) restores ovarian function in Letrozole induced PCOS in Rats: Comparison with Metformin and Clomiphene citrate. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(10):5190-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00903
Swati B. Pokale, Ghanshayam Jadhav. Piper longum (Linn.) restores ovarian function in Letrozole induced PCOS in Rats: Comparison with Metformin and Clomiphene citrate. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(10):5190-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00903 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-10-21
1. Asha K Varughese, Veena Greetta Tauro. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome-An Overview. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2019; 7(4): 601-604.
2. Nancychandra Priya P., Shwetha M. N.. Knowledge regarding Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome among Young Female Adults. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2019; 9(1): 84-86.
3. Jafarisani M, Masoomikarimi M, Kazemi SS, Mirzaeidelaviz S, Naderi Z, Ahmadi R. Effect of Thymus vulgaris Ethanol Extract, on Serum Total Antioxidant in Experimental Induced Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOs) Rats. Int J Health Stud. 2016; 2(1): 30-34.
4. Tehrani FR, Simbar M, Tohidi M, Hosseinpanah F, Azizi F. The prevalence of polycystic ovary syndrome in a community sample of Iranian population: Iranian PCOS prevalence study. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2011; 9: 39
5. Zheng Q, Li Y, Zhang D, et al. ANP promotes proliferation and inhibits apoptosis of ovarian granulosa cells by NPRA/PGRMC1/ EGFR complex and improves ovary functions of PCOS rats. Cell Death Dis. 2017; 8(10): e3145
6. Cohen and Philip. Polycystic ovary syndrome in men: Stein-Leventhal syndrome revisited. Medical hypotheses. 2007; 68: 480-3.
7. Radhakrishanan S A. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) in Adolescence. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research April-June 2012; 2(2): 55-64.
8. Anitharajendrababu, Mini Abraham. Effectiveness of Planned Teaching Programme regarding Polycystic Ovarian Disease among Adolescent Girls. Int. J. Adv. Nur. Management. 2017; 5(2): 143-145.
9. Neha Parmar, Munshi Ruzda Khanam, Patel Moshmi, Panchal Shruti, Goyara Krishna, Christian Brinky, Ninama Nidhi. A Study to assess The Effectiveness of Planned Teaching Programme on knowledge regarding Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome among Adolescent Girls in Selected Colleges at Nadiad City, Gujarat State. Int. J. of Advances in Nur. Management. 2019; 7(1): 06-08.
10. Veena Kirthika. S, Himabindu Daggumati, Padmanabhan. K, Jibi Paul, Selvaraj Sudhakar, Senthil Selvam. P. Effect of Structured Awareness Programme on Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) among Adolescent Girls. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(12): 6097- 6100.
11. March WA, Moore VM, Willson KJ, Phillips DI, Norman RJ, Davies MJ. The prevalence of polycystic ovary syndrome in a community sample assessed under contrasting diagnostic criteria. Hum reprod. 2010; 25(2): 544-551
12. Dunaif A. Drug insight: insulin-sensitizing drugs in the treatment of polycystic ovary syndromeda reappraisal. Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2008; 4(5): 272e283.
13. Revathi. R, Julius. A. A Biological Effect of Sex Hormone Binding Globulin and Testosterone in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Obese Women. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(7): 2143-2145.
14. Revathi. R, Julius. A. Effect of Insulin Resistance in Obese Polycystic Ovarian Disease. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(7): 2160- 2162.
15. Murugesan Amudha, Shanmugam Rani. Fertility inducing activity of Cordia retusa in Female Albino rats. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2020; 10(3): 171-176.
16. Patel A J, Thakor A P. Prospective use of Terphrosia Purpureain Remedial Treatment of PCOS: Study in Wistar Rat. ISCA J.Biological Sci. 2012; 1(3): 1-6
17. G. Deepthi, P. Sankarakumaran, Albin Jerome, Deivendran Kalirathinam, Naresh Baskar Raj, Mahadeva Rao US. Effect of Aerobic Exercise in Improving the Quality of Life in Polycystic Ovarian Disease. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(6): 1788- 1790.
18. Stohr JR, Xiaso PG, Bauer R. Constituents of Chinese piper species and their inhibitory activity on prostaglandin and leukotriene biosynthesis in vitro. Journal of Ethanopharmacology. 2001; 75: 133- 139.
19. Nabi SA, Kasetti RB, Sirasanagandla S. Antidiabetic and antihyperlipidemic activity of Piper longum root aqueous extract in STZ induced diabetic rats. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2013; 13: 37.
20. Bajad S, Bedi KL, Singla AK, Johri RK. Piperine inhibits gastric emptying and gastrointestinal transit in rats and mice, Planta Med, 2001; 67(2): 176-179.
21. L D Kapoor, Handbook of Ayurvedic Medicinal Plants. Herbal Reference Library Edition 2005 Published by CRC Pres LLC, 1990. pp 264-265
22. Kakadia N, Patel P, Deshpande S, Shah G. Effect of Vitex negundo L. seeds in letrozole induced polycystic ovarian syndrome. J Tradit Complement Med. 2018; 9(4): 336-345.
23. Eveline Christiane Ndeingang, Patrick Brice Defo Deeh, Pierre Watcho, Albert Kamanyi,. "Phyllanthus muellerianus (Euphorbiaceae) Restores Ovarian Functions in Letrozole-Induced Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome in Rats". Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2019; 1-16
24. Kafali H, Iriadam M, Ozardalı I, Demir N. Letrozole-induced polycystic ovaries in the rat: a new model for cystic ovarian disease. Arch. Med. Res. 2004; 35: 103-108.
25. Liu, Wenhui and Liu, Wenpei and Fu, Yuling and Wang, Yan, Zhang, Yuanzhen. Bak Foong pills combined with metformin in the treatment of a polycystic ovarian syndrome rat model. Oncology Letters. 2015; 10: 1819-1825
26. Atashpour, Shekoufeh and Jahromi, Hossein and Jahromi, Zahra , Maleknasab, Mozhgan. Comparison of the effects of Ginger extract with clomiphene citrate on sex hormones in rats with polycystic ovarian syndrome. Int J Reprod BioMed. 2017; 15: 561-568.
27. Akanksha PT, Anuradha JP. Normalizing of estrous cycle in polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) induced rats with Tephrosiapurpurea (Linn.) Pers. J Appl Nat Sci. 2014; 6(1): 197-201.
28. Demirel MA, Mert I, Ipek S, Hikmet K, Esra KA. Activity of Corylusavellana seed oil in letrozole-induced polycystic ovary syndrome model in rats. Brazilian J Pharmacog. 2016; 26: 83-88.
29. Wang F, Yu B, Yang W, Liu J, Lu J, Xia X. Polycystic ovary syndrome resembling histopathological alterations in ovaries from prenatal androgenized female rats. J Ovar Res. 2012; 5: 15.