Igor V. Sych, Olena V. Bevz, Irina A. Sych, Anhelina M. Shaposhnyk, Maryna V. Zarubina, Olga V. Kryvanych, Natalia L. Bereznyakova, Svitlana G. Taran, Lina O. Perekhoda
Igor V. Sych1 Olena V. Bevz2*, Irina A. Sych2, Anhelina M. Shaposhnyk3, Maryna V. Zarubina1, Olga V. Kryvanych4, Natalia L. Bereznyakova2, Svitlana G. Taran2, Lina O. Perekhoda2
1Forensic Research Laboratory, Hon. Prof. M. S. Bokarius Kharkiv Research Institute of Forensic Examinations, 8a, Zolochevska Str., Kharkiv, Ukraine, 61177.
2Medicinal Chemistry Department, National University of Pharmacy, 53, Pushkinska Str., Kharkiv, Ukraine, 61002.
3Department of Natural Disciplines, International Education Institute for Study and Research, V.N. Karazin National University, 1, Vernadsky Str., Kharkiv, Ukraine, 61177.
4Department of Pharmaceutical Disciplines, Uzhhorod National University, 1, Narodna Square, Uzhhorod, Ukraine, 88000.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 10,
Year - 2021
Anabolic-androgenic steroids are ones of the most frequently detected drugs in amateur and professional sports. Doping control laboratories have developed numerous assays enabling the determination of administered drugs. However, it is relevant today to improve detection methods that are accurate, fast and require small amounts of reagents. The identification and quantification of methandienone from body fluids has been insufficiently developed. The gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) method for the determination of methandienone traces in body fluids was developed and validated in the toxicology laboratory in order to control a non-medical use of an anabolic steroid-methandienone. Extracting procedures were optimized in order to obtain entire amount of the drug and methandienone and its metabolites were determined by sensitive and specific reactions for the compound identification, as well as the system for carrying out the TLC method have been proposed, and conditions for identifying a test sample from the biomaterial by IR spectrophotometry have been selected. The GC-MS method is found to be simple, fast, sensitive, and the strategy proposed can be effortlessly and advantageously applied for the routine analysis of biological fluids for determining methandienone and its metabolites at a level less than 30 ng in toxicology and doping-analysis.
Cite this article:
Igor V. Sych, Olena V. Bevz, Irina A. Sych, Anhelina M. Shaposhnyk, Maryna V. Zarubina, Olga V. Kryvanych, Natalia L. Bereznyakova, Svitlana G. Taran, Lina O. Perekhoda. Development of the method for determining Methandienone in Toxicology and doping-analysis. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(10):5169-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00899
Igor V. Sych, Olena V. Bevz, Irina A. Sych, Anhelina M. Shaposhnyk, Maryna V. Zarubina, Olga V. Kryvanych, Natalia L. Bereznyakova, Svitlana G. Taran, Lina O. Perekhoda. Development of the method for determining Methandienone in Toxicology and doping-analysis. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(10):5169-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00899 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-10-17
1. Bird SR et al. Doping in sport and exercise: anabolic, ergogenic, health and clinical issues. Annals of Clinical Biochemistry. 2016; 53(2): 196-221.
2. Kayser B. Ethical Aspects of Doping and Anti-Doping In Search of an Alternative Policy. KU Leuven. Faculty of Movement and Rehabilitation Sciences. 2018.
3. Sivakumar K et al. Sports Pharmacists: A Noble Evolving Professional in Indian Pharmaceutical Arena. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(9): 4213-4218. doi: 10.5958/0974- 360X.2020.00744.1
4. Abbas M, Sulaiman G, Falih M. Effects of methandienone on some hematological parameters, kidney and liver functions tests in male mice. International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2019; 10(1): 453-459.
5. Falih M, Abbas M, Sulaiman G. The Morphological Effects of Methandienone on Sperm Head in Male Mice. Biosciences Biotechnology Research Asia. 2018; 15: 643-648.
6. Sekera MH et al. Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom. 2005; 19: 781.
7. Shah NL et al. Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2008; 6: 255.
8. WADA 2018 Prohibited List. Available from: https://www.wada- ama.org/sites/default/files/prohibited_list_2018_en.pdf.
9. Kramarenko VF. Toxicology chemistry. K, Hight school, 1989: 456.
10. Samer H. Stas-Otto chart, to separate drugs and medicines depending on their chemical properties and solubility, 2017. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/ 320700558_Stas- Otto_chart_to_separate_drugs_and_medicines_depending_on_thei r_chemical_properties_and_solubility?channel=doi&linkId=59f58 3b2458515547c21d9f5&showFulltext=true.
11. Sobolevsky T, Dudko G, Rodchenkov G. Improved detection of steroid sulfate conjugates using LC-MS/MS with paired-ion electrospray (PIESI) ionization. Recent Advances in Doping Analysis (23). Proceedings of the Manfred Donike Workshop, 33rd Cologne Workshop on Dope Analysis, 1st to 6th March 2015; 2015: 19-25.
12. Shaheen S, Sultana S, Nayeem MU, Mohammad AS. Principles of Toxicology: A Clinical Review. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2018; 8(3): 145-150.
13. Narayana RR, Shivalinge Gowda KP, Ahamed SM and Badami S. ICH Guidelines with Special Emphasis on Good Clinical Practice Guidelines (GCP). Research J. Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2010; 2(1): 27-32.
14. Bushuev ES, Gorbacheva TV. Determination of methandrostenolone in biological material. Actual problems of theory and practice of forensic medicine. St. Petersburg. 1996: 26- 27.
15. Gorbacheva T. V. Optimization of conditions for isolation of anabolic steroids from biomaterial. Actual problems of creating new drugs. St. Petersburg. 1996: 40-41.
16. Mitesh DP, Dipti K. Current Advance Analytical Techniques: A Review. Asian J. Research Chem. 2009; 2(3): 235-238.
17. Oval N, Suresh JA, Niraimathi V. IR Quantification of Alverine Citrate in Bulk and Oral Dosage Form. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2013; 6(4): 360-362.
18. Dibyajyoti S. Design and Potential of Mass Spectrometry. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2011; 1(1): 1-2.
19. Idris M, Shukla SK, Baggi TR. Interference Study on Artificial Sweeteners in Forensic Toxicological Screening by TLC. Asian J. Research Chem. 2011; 4(3): 419-422.
20. Agarwal A et al. Qualitative Determinations of Steroids in Face Cream Formulation by Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrometry. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2011; 4(10): 1547-1550.
21. Banerjee S, Bonde CG, Merukar SS, Patil YR. Advanced Hyphenated Techniques in Analytical Chemistry. Asian J. Research Chem. 2009; 2(4): 380-387.
22. Polet M et al. Efficient approach for the detection and identification of new androgenic metabolites by applying SRM GC-CI-MS/MS: a methandienone case study. Journal of Mass Spectrometry. 2016; 51: 524-534.
23. Ramu G et al. A new LCMS/MS method for estimation of Bupropion and its metabolite in human plasma. Asian J. Research Chem. 2012; 5(3): 340-344.
24. Magalhães WS at al. Human Metabolism of the Anabolic Steroid Methasterone: Detection and Kinetic Excretion of New Phase I Urinary Metabolites and Investigation of Phase II Metabolism by GC-MS and UPLC-MS/MS. J. Braz. Chem. Soc. 2019; 30(6): 1150-1160.