C. Rajaram, S. Nelson Kumar, S. S. Sheeba Tabassum, R. Manohar, C. Sumanjali
Dr. C. Rajaram1*, Dr. S. Nelson Kumar2, S. S. Sheeba Tabassum2, R. Manohar2, C. Sumanjali2
1Professor, Department of Pharmacology, P. Ramireddy Memorial College of Pharmacy, Utukur, Kadapa - 516001, Andhra Pradesh.
2P. Ramireddy Memorial College of Pharmacy, Utukur, Kadapa - 516001, Andhra Pradesh.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 10,
Year - 2021
The plant Indigofera aspalathoides is a traditional medicine with tremendous therapeutic potential which finds it use in treatment of various ailments such as antibacterial, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antidiabetic, and anticancer activities. There are no reports that related to the use of this plant in treating patients with Alzheimer’s disease (AD). Hence present study was aimed to scientifically evaluate the neuroprotective effect of the methanolic extract of Indigofera aspalathoides against scopalamine induced Alzheimer’s disease in experimental rats using behavioral tests like elevated plus maze, Y-maze, and rota-rod tests. In addition to this, biochemical evaluation for acetylcholinesterase activity and histopathological evaluation of brain were done. The results suggests that methanolic extract Indigofera aspalathoides (200mg/kg B.wt and 400mg/kg B.wt) used in this study shows significant improvement of various behavioral parameters like locomotion, anxiety, memory, motor integrity and coordination etc when compared to control group. MEIA inhibited brain AChE enzyme, thereby elevating Ach concentration in brain homogenate and ultimately improved memory of rats. Further, more or less normal histological structure of the hippocampus and all amyloid plaques and neurofibrillary tangles that are formed under the influence of scopolamine disappeared in the rats pretreated with MEIA (200mg/kg B.wt and 400mg/kg B.wt). It can be concluded that our results strongly support the anti-Alzheimer’s potential of the methanolic extract of the plant I.aspalathoides and its use in traditional medicine.
Cite this article:
C. Rajaram, S. Nelson Kumar, S. S. Sheeba Tabassum, R. Manohar, C. Sumanjali. Neuroprotective Activity of the Methanolic Extract of Indigofera aspalathoides against Scopalamine induced Alzheimer's Disease in Experimental Rats. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(10):5163-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00898
C. Rajaram, S. Nelson Kumar, S. S. Sheeba Tabassum, R. Manohar, C. Sumanjali. Neuroprotective Activity of the Methanolic Extract of Indigofera aspalathoides against Scopalamine induced Alzheimer's Disease in Experimental Rats. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(10):5163-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00898 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-10-16
1. Sushmita V. Patil, Vaishnavi K. Patil, Paresh A. Patil. Review on Herbal medicines of Alzheimer’s Disease. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2020; 10(3): 171-177.
2. Rahul P. Jadhav, Manohar D. Kengar, Omkar V. Narule, Vikranti W. Koli, Suraj B. Kumbhar. A Review on Alzheimer’s Disease (AD) and its Herbal Treatment of Alzheimer’s Disease. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2019; 9(2): 112-122.
3. Sampoornam. W, Basil V. Kuriakose. Effectiveness of Visual Images Mnemonic Training on Memory among Alzheimer’s Disease Patients at Alzheimer’s and related Disorders society of India, Cochin, Kerala. Int. J. of Advances in Nur. Management. 2019; 7(2):95-96. doi: 10.5958/2454-2652.2019.00024.6
4. B. Maheswari Reddy, C. K. Dhanapal, B.V.S. Lakshmi. Anti- Alzheimer's Activity of aqueous extract of leaves of Murraya koenigii in Aluminium chloride Induced Neurotoxicity in rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(4): 1927-1934.
5. Reddy V. P, Zhu X, Perry G, Smith M.A, Oxidative stress in diabetes and Alzheimer’s disease, J. Alzheimers Dis. 2009; 16, 763-774.
6. Terry. A.V, Buccafusco. J.J, The cholinergic hypothesis of age and Alzheimer’s disease-related cognitive deficits: recent challenges and their implications for novel drug development, J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 2003; 306: 821-827.
7. Lane. R.M, Potkin. S.G.A, Enz, Targeting acetylcholinesterase and butyrylcholinesterase in dementia, Int. J. Neuropsychopharmacol. 2006; 9: 101-124.
8. Greig. N.H, Utsuki. T, Yu. Q, Zhu. X, Holloway. H.W, Perry. T, Lee. B, Ingram. D.K, Lahiri. D.K, A new therapeutic target in Alzheimer’s disease treatment: attention to butyrylcholinesterase, Curr. Med. Res. Opin. 2001; 17: 159-165.
9. Senthil Venkatachalam, Ayush Jaiswal, Anindita De, Rohith Krishnan Vijaya Kumar. Repurposing Drugs for Management of Alzheimer Disease. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(6): 3078-3088.
10. Sushmita V. Patil, Vaishnavi K. Patil, Paresh A. Patil. Review on Herbal medicines of Alzheimer’s Disease. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2020; 10(3): 171-177.
11. Peet Thomas, S Victoria Jeyarani, Tenzin Choephel, Chennu Manisha, Justin Antony. Recent Plant Based Remedies for Alzheimer’s Disease, Parkinson’s Disease and Cerebral Ischemic Stroke. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2019; 12(8): 3951-3959.
12. Vasudev Pai, C. S Shreedhara, Chandrashekar K. S, Aravinda Pai, Venkatesh Kamath. Cognitive Enhancement and Neuroprotective Effects of Ancient Ayurvedic Medicinal Plant Celastrus Paniculatus: An Overview. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2016; 9(8): 1295-1298.
13. Dr. S. Selval Kumar et al. Phytochemical Profile of Various Extracts of Indigofera Aspalathoides. Indo American Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2018: 8(01).
14. R. Bhuvaneswari and C. Balasundaram, “Traditional Indian herbal extracts used in vitro against growth of the pathogenic bacteria Aeromonas hydrophila,” Israeli Journal of Aquaculture, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 89–96, 2006.
15. S. S. Sheeba Tabassum et al., Evaluation of Hepatoprotective activity of the Methanolic Extract of Barleria Cuspidata against CCl4 Induced Liver damage in Experimental Rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(2): 538-542.
16. Roghani, M., Joghataie, M.T., Jalali, M.R. and Baluchnejadmojarad, T. Time course of changes in passive avoidance and Y-maze performance in male diabetic rats. Iran. Biomed. J. 2006; 10 (2): 99-104.
17. B. Maheswari Reddy, C. K. Dhanapal, B.V.S. Lakshmi. Anti- Alzheimer's Activity of aqueous extract of leaves of Murraya koenigii in Aluminium chloride Induced Neurotoxicity in rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(4): 1927-1934.
18. Bandaru N, Ramu A, Vidhyadhara S. Neuroprotective and antioxidant activities of fraction isolated from methanolic extract of Sapindus laurifolia on scopolamine induced dementia. Phcog Res 2020; 12: 119- 26.
19. Yusuf, S., Adelaiye, B.A., Agunu, A., Effect of Ziziphus mauritiania (L.) seed extracts on spatial recognition memory of rats as measured by the Y-maze test. J. Nat. Prod. 2009; 2, 31–39.
20. Grundmann, O., Nakajima, J.I., Shujiro Seo, S., Butterweck, V. Anti- anxiety effects of Apocynum venetum L. in the elevated plus maze test. J. Ethnopharmacol. 2007; 110: 406–411.
21. Parul L and Deepak KR. Quercetin:A Versatile flavanoid. Int J Med Upd 2007; 2(2): 22-37.