Doppalapudi Sandeep, Suryadevara Vidyadhara, Yallam Sailaja, Battula Sowjanya Lakshmi, Nayudu Vanya
Doppalapudi Sandeep*, Suryadevara Vidyadhara, Yallam Sailaja, Battula Sowjanya Lakshmi, Nayudu Vanya
Department of Pharmaceutics, Chebrolu Hanumaiah Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chandramoulipuram, Chowdavaram, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh, India – 522019.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 10,
Year - 2021
The present work mainly focuses on solubility enhancement of poorly soluble drugs using superdisintegrants. One of such poorly soluble drugs is Atorvastatin, which belongs to the category of statins. Atorvastatin belongs to BCS class – II, which is poorly water soluble and highly permeable. Natural sources are now-a-days playing a key role in pharmaceutical research. They have several pharmaceutical applications. Starches obtained from plants are pharmaceutically useful as binders, diluents, disintegrants and lubricants. Various physical parameters were evaluated. Solid dispersions were prepared using solvent evaporation technique. Where as in solid dispersions, formulations F2 and F5 showed better dissolution rate compared with other formulations. Fourier Transform Infra red spectroscopy (FTIR) and Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC) studies for optimized formulations revealed that there were no major interactions between the drug and excipients. X-Ray Diffraction (XRD) studies revealed the crystalline and amorphous nature of formulations. Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) revealed the surface characteristics. Thus from the present study, it was concluded that Entada scandens seed starch posses superdisintegrant property.
Cite this article:
Doppalapudi Sandeep, Suryadevara Vidyadhara, Yallam Sailaja, Battula Sowjanya Lakshmi, Nayudu Vanya. Formulation and Evaluation of Atorvastatin Solid Dispersions using Entada scandens seed starch as Superdisintegrant. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(10):5141-9. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00895
Doppalapudi Sandeep, Suryadevara Vidyadhara, Yallam Sailaja, Battula Sowjanya Lakshmi, Nayudu Vanya. Formulation and Evaluation of Atorvastatin Solid Dispersions using Entada scandens seed starch as Superdisintegrant. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(10):5141-9. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00895 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-10-13
1. Nishita S, Arun T, Roohi K, Dilip KP. Pharmaceutical Polymer in Drug Delivery: A Review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2016; 9(7): 982-994.
2. Shashikant NS, Ravindra SS. Role of superdisintegrants in immediate release tablets: a review. J. Pharm. Bio Sci. 2017; 5(1): 1-5.
3. Sarina C, Sushilkumar AS, Sandip BS, Vinayak NS. Herbal Excipients in Novel Drug Delivery Systems. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2017; 7(2): 111-117.
4. Punitha S, Srinivasa RG, Srikrishna T, Lakshman KM. Solid dispersions: a review. Research J. Pharm. And Tech. 2011; 4(3): 331-334.
5. Sneha DB. A review on solid dispersion as a technique for enhancement of bioavailability of poorly water soluble drugs. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2014; 7(12): 1485-1491.
6. Venkates KK, Arunkumar N, Varma PRP, Rani C, Neema G. Formulation and invitro characterization of Valsartan solid dispersions. Research J. Pharm. And Tech. 2009; 2(3): 502-506.
7. Teofilo V, Sara M, Jose DN, Bruno S. Amorphous solid dispersions: rational selection of a manufacturing process. Adv. Drug Deliv. Rev. 2016; 100:85-101.
8. Ravi SK, Prasanthi NL, Manikiran SS, Rama RN. Effect of solid dispersion technique on improving the solubility of Roxithromycin. Research J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech. 2010; 2(2): 184-188.
9. Philip FB, Mathew IA. Pharmaceutical applications of native starch in conventional drug delivery. Starch. 2016; 68(2): 1-10.
10. Mona M, Okba H. Entada rheedii seeds thioamides, phenolics, and saponins and its antiulcerogenic and antimicrobial activities. J. Appl. Pharm. Sci. 2018; 8(5): 101-108.
11. Vidyadhara S, Sasidhar RL, Lakshmi HD, Vijetha P, Vijetha K. Studies on jack fruit seed starch as a novel natural superdisintegrant for the design and evaluation of Irbesartan fast dissolving tablets. Integr. Med. Res. 2017; 6(3): 280-291.
12. Swamy P, Shahabadkar G, Shamsundar. Preliminary pharmacognostical and phytochemical investigation on Sterculia foetida Linn. Seeds. Afr. J. Biotechnol. 2010; 9(13): 1987-1989.
13. Ahmed AB, Daud BA, Elnazeer IH, Zuheir O, Khaled MA. Comparative physicochemical evaluation of starch extracted from Cajanus cajan seeds grown in sudan as a pharmaceutical excipient against maize starch. Orient. J. Phys. Sciences. 2017; 2(2): 114- 120.
14. Doppalapudi S, Suryadevara V, Sailaja Y, Bhavana P, Haritha C, Kalyana TD. Formulation and pharmacodynamic evaluation of Quetiapine solid dispersions using plasdone K-29/32 as carrier. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(5): 2359-2365.
15. Karnik PA, Mujawar NK, Nitave SA. Formulation and evaluation of solid dispersion of Lansoprazole. Indian J. Drugs. 2016; 4(4): 183-192.
16. Sangeetha E, Vinay UR, Sudhakar M, Manisha S. Enhancement of solubility and bioavailability of Hydrochlorthiazide using solid dispersion technique. Am. J. Adv. Drug Deliv. 2018; 3(6): 308- 316.
17. Desi RRB, Neelima RT, Sindhuri SL, Bandhavi P, Anusha RT, Sowjanya Y. Formulation nad in-vitro evaluation of Simvastatin solid dispersions. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2012; 5(8): 1069- 1071.
18. Shrawan B, Helen C, Niall JR. Investigation into the solid state properties an dissolution profile of spray dried ternary amorphous solid dispersions: a rational step toward the design and development of a multicomponent amorphous system. Mol. Pharm. 2018; 15(9): 3796-3812.
19. Kranthi KRM, Narasimha RB, Ravindra RK. Study on effect of excipients in enhancing the solubility of Nateglinide by solid dispersions. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2012; 2(4): 144-147.
20. Rajeswari S, Bhanu K, Satyajit P, Ranjit PS, Ramanamurthy KV, Sravya K. Solid dispersions: an evergreen solubility enhancement technique for hydrophobic drugs. J. Chem. Pharm. Res. 2016; 8(4): 1218-1228.
21. Keerthi M, Rama RN, Santhosh AM, Lakshmi PJ. Solid dispersions-an approach to enhance the dissolution rate of Clopidogrel bisulphate. Asian J. Pharm. Sci. 2014; 4(4): 165-168.
22. Surendra M, Venkateswara RT. Formulation and evaluation of Ibuprofen solid dispersions prepared by solvent evaporation technique. Research J. Science and Tech. 2012; 4(1): 22-27.
23. Nirmala D, Ashok CP, Sudhakar M. Preparation and characterization of Pitavastatin solid dispersions. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2016; 9(5): 555-558.
24. Vladimir V, Encalada K, Aldas MB, Proano E. An overview of starch based biopolymers and their biodegradability. Rev. Ciencia e Ingeniería. 2018; 39(3): 245-258.