A previously validated HPLC method was applied for the simultaneous determination of marbofloxacin (MBX) and trovafloxacin (TVX) in equine serum and human plasma. Samples have been precipitated with 20% HClO4 and drugs were separated using a gradient mobile phase system containing of 17.5mM of Monosodium phosphate (NaH2PO4) and 1.5mM aqueous solution of tetrabutylammonium hydroxide (C16H37NO), pH 3 (A) and 50% acetonitrile (C2H3N) and 50% methanol (B). Antibiotics were determined through UV detection at 293 and 270nm. The quantification limits for TVX and MBX were 10ng/ml and 2ng/ml respectively, and the retention times were 6.63 and 4.93 min respectively for both compounds. Over a concentration range of 10–50,000ng/ml for both antibiotics, the calibration curves were linear. No interacted signals were detected in both horse serum and human plasma. The linearity, precision and accuracy of the assay were estimated from spiked horse serum. The study suggested the use of this method in potential pharmacokinetics studies for selected matrices.
Cite this article:
Adnan Hussein Mahmood. Simultaneous determination of Trovafloxacin and Marbofloxacin in equine serum and human plasma samples using previously validated HPLC Method. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(1):143-145. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00025.1
Adnan Hussein Mahmood. Simultaneous determination of Trovafloxacin and Marbofloxacin in equine serum and human plasma samples using previously validated HPLC Method. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(1):143-145. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00025.1 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-1-25
1. Burrell MH, Wood JLN, Whitwell KE, Chanter N, Mackintosh ME, Mumford JA. Respiratory disease in thoroughbred horses in training: the relationships between disease and viruses, bacteria and environment. Veterinary Record 1996; 139(13): 308-13.
2. Raidal SL. Equine pleuropneumonia. British Veterinary Journal 1995; 151(3): 233-62.
3. Wood JLN, Newton JR, Chanter N, Mumford JA. Association between Respiratory Disease and Bacterial and Viral Infections in British Racehorses. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2005; 43(1): 120-6.
4. Emmerson AM, Jones AM. The quinolones: decades of development and use. J Antimicrob Chemother 2003; 51 Suppl 1: 13-20.
5. Meunier D, Acar JF, Martel JL, Kroemer S, Valle M. Seven years survey of susceptibility to marbofloxacin of bovine pathogenic strains from eight European countries. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2004; 24(3): 268-78.
6. Scott Weese J. Antimicrobial resistance in companion animals. Animal Health Research Reviews 2008; 9(2): 169-76.
7. Dunkel B. Antimicrobial drug use in critically ill horses. UK-Vet Equine 2018; 2(5): 134-8.
8. Rendle D, Gough S. Antimicrobial stewardship in equine practice. UK-Vet Equine 2019; 3(6): 200-5.
9. Meunier D, Acar JF, Martel JL, Kroemer S, Valle M. A seven-year survey of susceptibility to marbofloxacin of pathogenic strains isolated from pets. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2004; 24(6): 592-8.
10. Lucena MI, Andrade RJ, Rodrigo L, et al. Trovafloxacin-induced acute hepatitis. Clin Infect Dis 2000; 30(2): 400-1.
11. Rouveix B. Antibiotic safety assessment. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2003; 21(3): 215-21.
12. Mahmood AH, Medley GA, Grice JE, Liu X, Roberts MS. Determination of trovafloxacin and marbofloxacin in sheep plasma samples by HPLC using UV detection. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis 2012; 62(0): 220-3.
13. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services FaDAF, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER), Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research (CBER). Guidance for Industry; Q2B Validation of Analytical Procedures: Methodology. In: FDA, editor.; 1997.
14. Borner K, Hartwig H, Lode H. Determination of trovafloxacin in human body fluids by high-performance liquid chromatography. Journal of Chromatography A 1999; 846(1-2): 175-80.
15. Garcia MA, Solans C, Aramayona JJ, Rueda S, Bregante MA. Determination of marbofloxacin in plasma samples by high-performance liquid chromatography using fluorescence detection. J Chromatogr B Biomed Sci Appl 1999; 729(1-2): 157-61.
16. Teng R, Tensfeldt TG, Liston TE, Foulds G. Determination of trovafloxacin, a new quinolone antibiotic, in biological samples by reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography. Journal of Chromatography B: Biomedical Sciences and Applications 1996; 675(1): 53-9.
17. Vílchez JL, Navalón A, Araujo L, Prieto A. Determination of Danofloxacin and Marbofloxacin in Milk Samples by Micellar Liquid Chromatography with Fluorescence Detection. Analytical Letters 2007; 40(3): 601 - 13.
18. Carretero M, Rodríguez C, Andrés MIS, et al. Pharmacokinetics of marbofloxacin in mature horses after single intravenous and intramuscular administration. Equine Veterinary Journal 2002; 34(4): 360-5.
19. Bompadre S, Ferrante L, Leone L, Ripa S. Quantification of trovafloxacin in serum by high-performance liquid chromatography with on-line solid-phase extraction. Chromatographia 1999; 49(3): 185-7.
20. Liang H, Kays MB, Sowinski KM. Separation of levofloxacin, ciprofloxacin, gatifloxacin, moxifloxacin, trovafloxacin and cinoxacin by high-performance liquid chromatography: application to levofloxacin determination in human plasma. Journal of Chromatography B: Analytical Technologies in the Biomedical and Life Sciences 2002; 772(1): 53-63.